Ela-M 251 Body from Aliexpress

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's the one Ruud already checked out. The verdict was, that the headbasket is too small to house "normal" capsules like CK12 and K47.
And I think someone got a bad one with bent rails.
Nice. Extra long body to house all that complex circuitry for a small electret ;)

Damn. Looks like I'll be selling my micparts V251 and build me a more historically/sonically correct P2P 251 clone. Already have a 5*GE and Moby's T14/1, and with the prospect of new CK12s coming out "soon", I'm gonna have fun with this one.
Hmm…I may just have to follow suit.

After buying 2 of these I've realised they don't seem to be compatible with any available PCB's as they are far too short. Anyone worked out a solution for Dany's lovely PCB? Or a different body of the same quality for the D-251?

Last edited:
I found this thread. I like the idea of getting acrylic laser cut to construct something similar. Then I can just design the whole thing in Illustrator and get it made locally.

I also received the 251Mic Bodies from Arita. Great looking and very heavy weights. Impressive, wow.
I will go with Poctops 251 PCBs, UTM0512 Transformers, a matched paid original GE6072A 5 Star Tubes, nice electronic parts and.... I could convince Alex from Xingde to sell me a pair of his (hopefully authentic) sounding C12 Capsules. Very excited. Tried to reach TimC for buying a pair of his capsules to compare. But I think he is currently out of order or out of stock, ..or what else. What about OPR or Beeneez C12 Capsules, or Peluso?

Attachments

• PXL_20230801_142647923.jpg
    PXL_20230801_142647923.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230804_173821597.jpg
    PXL_20230804_173821597.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
I also received the 251Mic Bodies from Arita. Great looking and very heavy weights. Impressive, wow.
I will go with Poctops 251 PCBs, UTM0512 Transformers, a matched paid original GE6072A 5 Star Tubes, nice electronic parts and.... I could convince Alex from Xingde to sell me a pair of his (hopefully authentic) sounding C12 Capsules. Very excited. Tried to reach TimC for buying a pair of his capsules to compare. But I think he is currently out of order or out of stock, ..or what else. What about OPR or Beeneez C12 Capsules, or Peluso?
Please keep us posted if these fit Poctops PCBs!

Yes I am currently sold out of all production at least through the summer. before buying the Xingde capsule you should read through kingkorg's thread. New CK12 capsule measurements

Just out of curiosity, what is the project cost of such an undertaking? I've never done anything like that.

Just out of curiosity, what is the project cost of such an undertaking? I've never done anything like that.
The Price for one Mic Body was under 100 Bucks incl. import fees. Most expensive part is the capsule. But I calculate with about 700 Bucks per Mic build. I think I will use an australien capsule. I will also get two samples from these Xingde Capsules to test for a few bucks. I think Alex/Xingde is well informed about all measurments in the the excellent test thread from kingkorg. I can say that👍

Last edited:
Poctops don’t fit in these bodies. They only work for hand wired and acrylic. The Xingde capsules are not doing well. I have a pair and I don’t recommend them. Beesneez are a better choice.

Poctops don’t fit in these bodies. They only work for hand wired and acrylic. The Xingde capsules are not doing well. I have a pair and I don’t recommend them. Beesneez are a better choice.
Yes I ordered a pair Beesneez C12 capsules yesterday...🥰

Alex from Xingde will also rework according to the GDIY measurments and impressions his capsuledesign. Exciting about the upcoming results.

The measurments of Poctops PCB is about 6mm too long for these 251 Mic body. But the PCBs are not delivered yet from Poctop. I think I will find a good and easy solution. Also the 7Pin connector is too long and disturbs the placement. I think these geometrical issues should be solveable. Shorten, mill.... or what eles.
("Einem Ingenieöör ist nix zu schwör", austrian german language")

Alex from Xingde will also rework according to the GDIY measurments and impressions his capsuledesign. Exciting about the upcoming results.
I can hardly see him going anywhere with this capsule. He doesn't have facilities to measure capsule responses, has no idea how to do it, has no idea how to tune the capsule or how it should perform.

It's not just about the tuning, there are several issues, but at this point as Tim suggested, i'm done doing free r&d for Alex. Not the kindest, or most professional guy to deal with either ;)

The target retail price is 300-400€, so nothing DIY community would benefit from.

It’s too bad Walter white pcb doesn’t fit! I got a pair of these bodies and am planning to design a pcb of the 251 circuit. So for those who don’t want to do p2p I’d be happy to share the project when I’m done with it. It might be a couple months though.

Yes I am currently sold out of all production at least through the summer.
Hey Tim, What is the best way to contact you to purchase capsules when the time comes?

The free help is one reason I don't post as much as I did in the past.
I see some issues/errors in some microphone things that are discussed and decide not to post about what I see as issues.

Why should anyone here that understands things about microphones help anymore?

Off topic even when I did help sometimes the other person does not understand or try what I shared so why even bother.

Plus who owns what we post here?

The electronics in microphones is trivial if you have an electronics background.

The free help is one reason I don't post as much as I did in the past.
I see some issues/errors in some microphone things that are discussed and decide not to post about what I see as issues.

Why should anyone here that understands things about microphones help anymore?

Off topic even when I did help sometimes the other person does not understand or try what I shared so why even bother.

Plus who owns what we post here?

The electronics in microphones is trivial if you have an electronics background.
If all the knowledgeable, honest people withdraw chances are diverse product pushers will take over like other places.

Then that kid in a basement trying to make decent recording becomes obsessed with unobtainable capacitor vibe, magical vintage gear that could never be replaced by anything else. We have a lot of that on other forums.

But I, just like you, have no intention to disclose "proprietary" stuff I came up with. So many great ideas were "borrowed" from GDIY.

Chances are, if i haven't made that new CK12 measurements, bunch of people would have bought it, a company would rebrand it and sell it as the real deal. Which will probably happen anyways.

Back