Electrical Engineering Degree

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy Peters said:
Not true if you define "school" strictly as a university or other degree program.

Obviously, if you get a job as an EE, you need to keep up -- I've gone from 74-series TTL to simple PALs and PLDs and now we're into big SoC FPGAs. Anyways, they don't teach that stuff in college.
college is about fundamentals and learning how to learn...

Internet and wiki is almost there now...
Come on, man, keep up! The buzzwords this year are "Internet of Things." You know, like putting an insecure web server into your toaster so it can be taken over and used as part of a botnet.
Yup, IoT how could connecting millions of devices to the internet with software that can be hacked and not easily upgraded, possible go wrong.  :eek:

Then again people are all too happy to allow devices with cameras and microphones into their living space.  One TV set maker got busted for watching the watchers.  ::)

JR

Lot's of good stuff posted in here already but I'll add my $0.02.
I took a few EE classes as part of my mech eng degree (circuits and power electronics) and then when I was doing my M.S. in Mech eng I took a class in the physics dept called electronics for experimenters - basically a very hands on and applied electronics class (art of electronics was the textbook).
A few classes like that are probably anyone would need for audio electronics.  You could audit a few classes at a university for much less time and money.
If you look through the curriculum for an EE degree it's a lot of stuff that is far beyond audio. Do you care about materials science for EE applications? Probably not. But if you're interested in the stuff, go for it. I don't mean to discourage anybody.
I do think audio electronics is a great hobby but probably not a good career. EE would lead to a good career if that is part of your thinking, but it would probably not be with a audio gear maker.

Back