EMI RS124

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So cool to see you having fun making these beauties!

I've done two RS124 with a 1mA Simpson vumeter and left a potentiometer inside as well, and same thing with the threshold potentiometer..

It's a great circuit for experimenting as well, you can try putting the timing capacitor on a lorlin and adding different values, different kind of material, ceramic, plastic

The input potentiometer was always weird.. :)

Today I silkscreened my two panels with a friend. Friday will be drilling day… and final assembly to follow.

Happy about how it turned out !
So cool to see someone doing DIY silkscreening! Decades ago I taught myself screening of panels with assistance from a local company that sold the supplies.

High contrast "Kodalith" print of the "artwork" transferred onto a photosensitive emulsion on the fabric. Using the correct ink for adhesion to the metal and durability. The friendly rep at the supply company directed the long haired kid <g> to the ink used to make outdoor signs...speed limit, stop, etc. signs.

Unlike many things these days, the ancient art of screen printing is still in wide usage. My closet is full of screened t-shirts!! lol

Bri

Cool story ! Mine implied computer work of course so it is a little less charming :) I was hesitating re insulating the screen myself, because I do a lot of film photography and did a some photo engraving for a while so it wasn’t completely unfamiliar, but in the end I found a great deal with a local supplier providing the insulated screen and when that route. I then did the printing with a friend at his workshop, using Nazdar black ink.
Very happy how it turned out, even if it was a lot of work for « just » two front panels.
If I had to redo it, I’d add the vu meter design and maybe rear panel to the screen. (There was a lot of room left)

We didn't have consumer access to computers in the 1960's and 1970's; those were owned by the banks and government! <g>

I laid out the panels with rub-on letters and (as needed) a Rapidograph ink pen onto a piece of white artist's board (a semi-thin cardboard). I discovered a local shop with a large photostat camera that could accept a 2x size original from me and reduce it 2:1 onto Kodalith film. Then, it was a sort of "contact printing" of the Kodalith image onto the emulsion coated onto the "silk". Lots of trial and error!

Nazdar was a brand of ink I recall, but the local folks directed me to the "stop sign" ink they sold.

I originally screened the fronts of the Roth Fuzz (yes...) stomp boxes in my parent's garage. Did a total run of maybe 10. Later the front rack panel and rear overlays for an electronic crossover I was selling. I'd run maybe a dozen panels at a time totaling maybe 100-125 over several years of production.

Wish I had a better copy of this "artwork"....

Attachments

• rothfuzz.pdf
    5.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Cool logo Brian ! Simple and effective :)

Today was drilling day, here are some work in progress pictures

Edit : as anticipated, the VU hole is a bitch, in this steel panel !

Attachments

• IMG_7606.jpeg
    IMG_7606.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7608.jpeg
    IMG_7608.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
These are NOS, from my stash but you can buy them new from RS and everywhere else. They are ITT Schadow switches. They come in a variety of gangs, colors, bezel type etc

Back