EMT 162 Plate Reverb pickup mounting

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humdrumaudio

Hey, I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on how to properly mount a new piezo pickup to an old EMT 162 Plate Reverb.  The old pickups are bad so I got the piezos that Eddie Ciletti recommends as replacements.  I took out the old ones and they were screwed and glued, but with these new pickups it looks like I would just glue them right onto the plate.

Is this right?

I did a Jim Cunningham low noise mod to an EMT 140 several years ago.      The procedure for mounting the pick ups was cleaning the area you are going to glue the pick up to very thoroughly with wire wool.  Tey supplied an adhesive which was one that you use to glue the rear view mirror to your car windcreen that came in a small sachet.  There were also a few components to chenge in the amp, maybe 2 resistors & a cap or something along those lines.  Can you supply a link to Eddie's page on this please, I would be interested to take a look at it.

Thanks!  That was exactly what I was looking for.  I feel a bit stupid cause I just read through the JCC instructions and they say to mount the new pickups directly onto the plate 6 inches closer to the coil.  I guess I should have read through what I was given.  I'll post a link to the page I know of in another post on this thread.

Thanks again.

fazer said:
Rob do you still use your EMT?  I have one in storage and wondering if I would use these days.

I definitely would do, but it is stored in my brothers garage at the moment.  It needs a bit of restoration work, some of the clips are broken.  Still can't be beat as a vocal reverb imho.  My is remotable too, so I was going to buld controls into my console for it.

I have some clips and an alignment ring .  That amps are tube and will need some clean up the main thing is the absorber panel is made up of multi small rectangles and are warped I thought of using a new piece of compressed fiber glass that’s very dense and thin.  I would paint to keep from being to absorbent. So will need some work but do able.

fazer said:
I have some clips and an alignment ring .  That amps are tube and will need some clean up the main thing is the absorber panel is made up of multi small rectangles and are warped I thought of using a new piece of compressed fiber glass that’s very dense and thin.  I would paint to keep from being to absorbent. So will need some work but do able.

You have an alignment ring.  Where did you get it?  I don't have one, but I'm hoping to not have to move the coil.

The alignment ring is not massively necessary.  You can line it up by eye in my experience.  The plate the magnet is on has enlarged mounting holes so you can move it around to get it concentric with the coil.  I have only worked on one plate where I needed to completely loosen & retension the plate to get it centralized enough to get the magnet in the right place.

The alignment ring came with the plate .  It would be simple to make on a lath.  Maybe not simple but doable.  I’ll take a picture of it and get dimensions next time at my storage building. 

It’s clear plexi glass circle with a hole in the center For the voice coil to poke through .  Makes alignment a breeze.  The main thing is tuning the clips and not breaking them.  Even in the manual it says expect to break a few getting it right.  I’ve heard some people use a torque wrench to get them even but so many points to adjust, it’s like a rectangle drum head.  Maybe I should use JR’s drum tuner.  My brother has one for his drum kit.  Hmmmm!

fazer said:
The alignment ring came with the plate .  It would be simple to make on a lath.  Maybe not simple but doable.
90 mm OD.
20 mm ID.
4 mm
the original disks are slightly thicker, not an issue

Latest posts

Back