EV Re-20 Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marooned said:
I also have an RE20 with the plastic piece under the diaphragm rattling.  Didn't' realize this until after 4 hours of recording vocals which sounded distorted.  I've looked at your post and I'm trying to figure out a few things.  When you mention desoldering the leads, I assume you did this in the body and not at the diaphragm...and someone also mentioned not desoldering at all.  I'm good with solder but trying to find the best way to accomplish the removal of the diaphragm and wires.  And what type of glue did you use on the plastic piece and what did you use to remove the glue from the diaphragm?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Try first remove metal plate where is glued diaphragm.
Messing with that diaphragm is screwed up.
Super glue or any kind of strong glue which doesn't change in rubber coating structure.
Desolder wires definately. It's not so hard to solder it again but when you break it then starts the troubles.

I appreciate the response.  I have desoldered the wires but I can't see a way to take apart the top part of the diaphragm.  It appears that the entire top piece is glued on very well.  I'm going to try and use a razor to pry it apart.  I'll keep you posted.

Marooned said:
I appreciate the response.  I have desoldered the wires but I can't see a way to take apart the top part of the diaphragm.  It appears that the entire top piece is glued on very well.  I'm going to try and use a razor to pry it apart.  I'll keep you posted.

Someone posted here how to disassembly it, if i remember well or at least i saw somewhere that it is possible.
I don't know is it glued, but note that this part is also kept by magnet, rather pretty strong.
I didn't tried that, i messed only with the diaphragm.

So how did you mess with the diaphragm.  I see in your second photo that it is indeed off, but how?  It looks like it's tucked down but maybe not, it could just be the glue.  I'm trying how to get that part off so I can glue the plastic button thingy back down.  I've tried acetone but that didn't seem to make a difference and I didn't want to keep trying it if I was doing the wrong thing.

Thanks again.

Dan make the photos, it isn't my unit ;)
i removed it mechanically (scalpel if i remember correctly) without use of chemicals.
Never use acetone on the diaphragms!
Also i didn't removed whole diaphragm, only some part of it to be able bend it a little and get acces to the blackdome and glue it.
Doing that way there's no problem with proper centering.

Sorry to be a pain about this, I just want to make sure I don't ruin it.  So you cut the diaphragm around the edge enough to get to the plastic piece, ok.  What type of glue did you use to put it back?  Did you notice any change in the sound?  I could be wrong but I would think it would change the dynamics of the diaphragm.

That's why i didn't cut off whole diaphragm. If it's not properly centered then you will lose low end.
Different situation is with microphones which have hard plastic ring (or even paper) around the diaphragm, then work on it is much easier. Super glue type, i have local type of that glue which works like a charm.

So you cut the diaphragm around the edge enough to get to the plastic piece, ok.  What type of glue did you use to put it back?  Did you notice any change in the sound?  I could be wrong but I would think it would change the dynamics of the diaphragm.
Just saw this. Don't cut the diaphragm!  (the diaphragm is clear stiff plastic membrane which moves with sound waves - it is permanently attached to the top metal disc which you want to lift off while attached to the diaphragm)
First step is to desolder both the wires down below (not at the diaphragm which would be impossible).
Then on new models, the metal disc will just need to be gently detached with a razor blade around the edges and lifted up against the magnet strength. Be CAREFUL to lift it straight up and not side to side at all, since it will be taking up the voice coil as well - which is attached to the diaphragm.
On older models, the metal disc has pins that go down through the whole assembly and have pressed discs on them to keep it from lifting and are then covered in glue. These are nearly impossible to dissemble.

dmp said:
Just saw this. Don't cut the diaphragm!  (the diaphragm is clear stiff plastic membrane which moves with sound waves - it is permanently attached to the top metal disc which you want to lift off while attached to the diaphragm)
First step is to desolder both the wires down below (not at the diaphragm which would be impossible).
Then on new models, the metal disc will just need to be gently detached with a razor blade around the edges and lifted up against the magnet strength. Be CAREFUL to lift it straight up and not side to side at all, since it will be taking up the voice coil as well - which is attached to the diaphragm.
On older models, the metal disc has pins that go down through the whole assembly and have pressed discs on them to keep it from lifting and are then covered in glue. These are nearly impossible to dissemble.

That was my suggestion too, but i also had a problem with that disc so i taken off half of diaphragm :)
It wasn't cutted, just glue was removed with a scalpel. Microphone works like new :)

Thank you both very much!!!  Mine is apparently a new model as I saw in a previous post someone had a photo of one with the poles.  It appears that my top plate is glued very well so as you have mentioned, I will take a surgical procedure to get it off.
I did find that Full Compass sells the entire mic element which if I end up destroying my mic, at least I'll only spend $272 (which still sucks) instead of buying and entire new one.
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back