Feeler: A “Pod” of Pultecs… ezP-1A, ezMEQ5 and ezHLF-3 for Christmas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Colin, for the record, put me down for a pair of the ezP-1a kits. Whatever that will entail as far as PCB, iron and so forth. I know you typically do a minimalist parts kit of some sort. I am definitely wanting those cool front panels and enclosures if that comes to fruition.

I would like a pair of all 3 units but I don't have the space for that now.

Thanks Collin,

I am interested in a kit of the ezP-1A depending on price.

Would they be easy to make a matching stereo eq pair for mastering??

Thanks

I would be tempted by a "Pod" kit depending on the price.  If too much for the "pod" in one hit, I may look at single units at a time.

canidoit said:
Would they be easy to make a matching stereo eq pair for mastering??

Matching for mastering is never very easy with something that has pots and inductors in it.... the inductors are 10% and pots are generally 20% (although we now only get 10% types)..... however, 2 inductors which were purchaased at the same time and come from the same batch are probably a lot closer that 10% between them.... same is probably true for pots.

We normally use 10% capacitors, although you can easily get 5% (but they are very significantly more expensive).... you could just get a bunch of 10%'s and select them accurately ?

You would also have to match the gains of the valves ?

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Jeezus! Seems like you are getting an order from me each month!
Let us know the price, probably +2 on EQP1A

Hi Colin,

I just checked a song I mixed quite a while ago, that featured two P'tec passive filter ,one side on snare,they other on an acoustic guitar. It sounds very good,strange but inviting, and now I remember what I really liked about those filters. (besides no power cord)

They seem to boost (ring ?) around the cutoff freq.  So you get the cutoff,with a slight ballsy low end end some euh... peaky,airy high end.
My question, does the ezHLF-3 do that trick too?

cheers
Pieter

pidah said:
I just checked a song I mixed quite a while ago, that featured two P'tec passive filter ,one side on snare,they other on an acoustic guitar. It sounds very good,strange but inviting, and now I remember what I really liked about those filters. (besides no power cord)

They seem to boost (ring ?) around the cutoff freq.  So you get the cutoff,with a slight ballsy low end end some euh... peaky,airy high end.
My question, does the ezHLF-3 do that trick too?

Yes and no... it actually depends on your source and load impedances.... if you were using a modern piece of gear to feed it and monitor it then probably "yes" as you would have a low output impedance feedng it and it would be going to a high input impedance (like the yellow line in this graph):
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ezhlf3_ringing.pdf

[The other plots are 600 Ohm source only, 600 Ohm load only and 600 Ohm source and load]

On the PCB I have added optional transformers and zobel network so you can force it to be 600 Ohm source/load if you want.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

The inside of the ezHLF3 looks like this.....

ezhlf3_prototype_-_small.jpg

... and if I had put the metalwork XLR holes in the correct place there would be no wires.... it has a male/female molex combination which plug together !

It has the option of adding Carnhill 600R/600R input and output transformers.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Thanks for the explanation Colin!
That graph  visualizes what I hear. The filters where inserted in my Studer board, so that is indeed what happened. Sounded/sounds good however.

Seems like a lot of fun project, really looking forward to a huge stereo "Pod o' Pultecs"

Cheers
Pieter

Back