FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, some updates with this.  Getting closer to finalizing everything.  Transformer/board pricing will definately be $150.  I'm still waiting on panel quotes.  They will be best case the $50 I mentioned, they might be $55 but that is the highest it will be (Even still that's about half what it costs to have your own made/engraved).  

Component Kits - We'll need to get at least 10 stereo units worth for me to do it, I need to go back and look at the list to see how close we are to that.  I need to finish the sb4k build manual so moving as fast as I can, but I will have the component kits figured out in the next day or 2.  They will be no more than it would cost to source it yourself, hopefully some bucks cheaper, but it saves on the extra shipping and hassle of getting the wrong stuff.  Like mentioned, they'll be just like I'd do for myself, mica caps (no ceramics), Panasoniv FC throughout except for the main audio path (unless you guys don't want to) we'll do an Elna audiophile grade for the 470uF - they're over $2 a piece but you only need one and they're reeeally nice caps & what I used in my prototype.  Wima Polypro Films in the audio path, wima or epcos polyester film for the sidechain/power supply.  Will use the single turn bourns trimmers (multiturns were actually a royal PITA for this because a few of them you want to be fully clockwise or counterclockwise, and another one pretty much dead center.  With the multiturns you don't know where the wiper is).

Shipping I'm still working on as well.  Domestic prices won't be bad but the weight's coming in over 4lb, and closer to 5lb with the component kits, so it can't ship first class (4lb limit) and will need to ship priority mail on the internationals which is a little more expensive.  Did some quick calculations and I know so far it will be at least $30 to ship the full stereo kits, but good news is with priority mail there is some trackability unlike first class, and transit times are much faster.  Plus remember boxes/packing materials adds a few bucks to the total shipping price.  I'll only be charging what it actually costs to ship though, so the costs will defer depending on where you're located and what you are ordering to keep it as low as possible.  Shipping insurance will be available but going to be optional.

T4B's - I won't be offering them with kits for a magnitude of reasons - 1) People have their own preferences - Kenetek and Drip both make very nices one's.  Ioaudio is offering thiers now and of course there's the UA originals  2) Even if I got a discount it will still be adding close to another $10,000 to my costs, and I'm already looking at very serious amounts of money as it is to do this for everyone, so I need to draw the line somewhere. 3) It will add another $200 to the kit price, making it even more difficult for alot of you guys to be able to swing this thing in 1 shot.  It's easy to spend $200 3 times, every two weeks or so.  But coming up with $600 in one shot can be rough though - I'm sure you know what I mean.

Payments - As I mentioned, I'm going to need to do preorders for this.  There's far too much involved to not, and it worked very well for the sb4k launch.  I'd love to be able to just hold them for everyone but unfortunately I had quite a bit of people ask me to hold them sb4k kits, and then either backed or I never heard form them, so with the magnitude of all of this and money involved I just can't take those kinds of risks.  At this point, I'm very comfortable the needed interest is there but I'm going to let the feeler run for a little bit yet.  Will be opening up for preorders soon though, as soon as shipping and kit pricing is finalized, at which point it will just be first come first served.  The first run will be for around 100 channels (50 stereo units).  Can't predict the future but if inital interest is any indication there's a high likelyhood it will fill up quick, but I don't want to hear about any of you hocking jewelry or selling organs for yours ;D

Timeframe - There is a 6 week lead time on the longest items, most of them will be in before then though so I can begin packaging ahead of time, but that puts the longest items here around Dec 15th.  If things go well it could be sooner but I can't make any promises.  I was a little too optimistic with the sb4k time frames, so 6 weeks allows for any issues that arose like it did with the panels, although I have all of my manufacturing issues addressed now from that, so expect this run to be very smooth.  My goal is everyone will be building these for the holidays.

Cool, good read..

Regarding the max lead times, the +6 weeks start ticking after the preorders are closed, no?

baadc0de said:
Cool, good read..

Regarding the max lead times, the +6 weeks start ticking after the preorders are closed, no?

Ohh no, as long as we get around 15 preorders or so the clock starts ticking.  The list is up to almost 25 so far so hopefully a good portion can commit.  We've got 8 (I think) interests in component kits.  If we can get a few more then I'll make it happen - it's just it's alot of work ordering/sorting/kitting components so doing it for just a few orders just doesn't make sense.

Here's a guitar track compressed at 10dB and a vocal track compressed at both 5dB and 10dB.  This thing just eats anything I throw at it lol.  Opinions/feedback welcomed.

Guitar Original (Uncompressed):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB-3A/Tests/CC_Stereo_Lead_Original.mp3

Guitar Compressed 10dB G/R
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB-3A/Tests/CC_Stereo_Lead_Limit_10db-3.mp3

Vocal Original (Uncompressed):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB-3A/Tests/Vocal_Orig.wav

Vocal 5dB G/R

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB-3A/Tests/Vocal_SB-3A_5dB.wav

Vocal 10dB G/R

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4740474/SB-3A/Tests/Vocal_SB-3A_10dB.wav

Is it me or the compression is really but really transparent i dare to say subtle?
Only thing i noticed is gain,  the processed files are louder.
I tought it was a coloured compressor.

3nity said:
Is it me or the compression is really but really transparent i dare to say subtle?
Only thing i noticed is gain,  the processed files are louder.
I tought it was a coloured compressor.

Huh, that's the first I heard that, and quite a few people have listened to those.  The compressed files were dialed in peaking as close as I could get em in with the original.  I just looked at em in the daw, peaks are all the same, looks like a spot or 2 might be about 1db louder.  How are you listening to it?  In some ways she seems subtle, but at the same time I can say she is definately colored.  Shall I hit her harder?  ;D

Just toggling between bypass with no gain reduction I can hear a definate obvious tonal difference, but in a good way.  I just put the guitar tracks I had back on page 4 there as well.  The effects are pretty noticable on those.

Havn't the chance to here clips yet nor have I used a LA3A but the colour/ sound of the unit is what many say gives it ledgendary status.

I have heard from a few people who feel there vintage LA3a was destroyd by replacing the old film caps (Mallory and others) with newer modern ones (Wima).

I do feel clean is not what this box is about so hopfuly Orange Drops may work in this unit as the values of the original would allow for that. Carbon comp resistors might be cool to.

rrs said:
Havn't the chance to here clips yet nor have I used a LA3A but the colour/ sound of the unit is what many say gives it ledgendary status.

I have heard from a few people who feel there vintage LA3a was destroyd by replacing the old film caps (Mallory and others) with newer modern ones (Wima).

I do feel clean is not what this box is about so hopfuly Orange Drops may work in this unit as the values of the original would allow for that. Carbon comp resistors might be cool to.

That's the beauty of DIY!  I have 5mm, 7.5mm, and 10mm pads for the film caps.  It looks like those orange drops are huge (about 20mm long), but good news is the only surrounding components around the caps are resistors, so you can just bend the leads on the orange drops and make sure they're high enough to clear the resistors and they'll fit just fine.

I used metal film for my build.  Might give carbon comps a try on the next one.

I can hear the creamy goodness on your vocal tracks fersure!
Really thickens it up & brings out more detail.
Pretty cool you got Fiona Apple to demo your La3a!  ;D

Love to hear some hard compressed rhythm acoustic guitar parts.
A dual unit will be in my future but I'm just not sure when I'll spring for it.
Got your SSL on the go ya know! hehe

Cheers
Sean

Can't wait :D Carbon comps for the signal resistors and metal film for all the PSU resistors. Best quietest PSU possible with carbon comp signal goodness :D

Yea, you guys got me thinking about the carbon comps now, wondering if I shoulda used those instead.  Not too many resistors.  Think I might orders few and swap em out in one board.  Can do a direct compare then between the metal film.  I've gone back and forth as far as 1/2W or 1/4W.  1/2W were used on the original but there's no reason 1/2W are needed anywhere expect 1 spot, that's just what was normal 40 years ago.  Right now the resistor pad spacing is at .4".  I think I'll add another pad .05" off to allow for .45" spacing also, should be enough to fit the 1/2W carbon comps in there, you'll have to bend the leads a little on the sharper side, but leaves the options really open for people.

Love what it does to guitars, just seems to tighten them up so nicely, really adds a nice color.

Really looking forward to this build and two more cool crayons in the tool box.

Thanks for this Mike, great work!

Mark

ok so just a few bits i guess to clear before i can commit to the coming preorder.

final component kit cost for stereo unit,

i know it wont affect many here... but anyone know definitely what the charges/duty will be my end (UK) on receipt?
i would hate to have already spent beyond my budget already and then unable to get it

kepeb said:
ok so just a few bits i guess to clear before i can commit to the coming preorder.

final component kit cost for stereo unit,

i know it wont affect many here... but anyone know definitely what the charges/duty will be my end (UK) on receipt?
i would hate to have already spent beyond my budget already and then unable to get it

The final pricing will be up soon.  Since nobody's shown any interest in mono units I'm going to just list it as stereo costs to make it easier and clearer.  I got the shipping figured out.  I have no idea about the duties thing since we're lucky and don't have to deal with it here - I tried to do some googling and looked like it's a few percent on the total value, but somebody else could probably better answer that.

yea, understandable, your doing your bit fine :)
i have heard horror stories about parcels received this end tho.
I'll see if i can find out who handles it when it gets here, they all have random overpriced surcharges :(
who would the international order be sent via?
i just need a clear total in my head before i can settle and make decisions about what to do

theres no rush :)

also if anyone in the UK does have experience with this you could fill me in, maybe even organise a combined delivery and then spilt and re-send.

Latest posts

Back