FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything's going to be sent USPS Priority Mail.  It's the cheapest way to do it that's also safe and reliable, it's trackable, and the transit times are reasonably quick.  First Class has a weight limit of 4lb's, so the full kits & front panel orders will exceed that and force Priority.  The bare bones (just boards and transformers) come in a little under 4, but I still won't be sending them first class as it was only a couple dollars cheaper and there's no tracking, and for the costs of the kits I would think everyone would want to be able to see where their packages are.

I haven't yet expressed my interest in this project ... So, I'll probably be in for a stereo pair of boards, depending on finances around ordering time.

FWIW, FedEx and UPS have trolled me with ridiculous "handling fee" surcharges going to Europe, but not USPS.

Ya UPS & Fedex are nuts with their "brokerage" fees.
I've been using USPS/Can Post ever since eBay opened with very good luck.
I usually don't even get dinged with customs but the odd time I do, Can post
only charges an extra 5 bucks for their "fee" on top of the taxes.

Sean

ruckus328 said:
Yea, ya know what - 1/2W carbon comps it is:)  Won't get em in until Monday though:(

I'm loving what that thing is doing to those sample tracks! Can you try to remember to post the same clips through a channel with carbon comps when you build it? I'd like to hear the difference.

Neil said:
I'm loving what that thing is doing to those sample tracks! Can you try to remember to post the same clips through a channel with carbon comps when you build it? I'd like to hear the difference.

+11!

If this is a un-official, non business, cash in hand kind of thing, you could always send it as a gift, that way we Europeans won't pay any import tax.

Apparently, if you mark them as "electronic components" or "samples" we may also not pay to much.

RE: Import tax
I am so confused, when ordering stuff from the US, sometimes I pay nothing  ??? sometime I have to pay extortionate amounts  :mad: and sometimes it's reasonable. But one thing is sure, it's totally random.

The worse experience for me was ordering stuff from Allied Electronics, I ordered something like $70 worth of components and ended up paying 32 pounds import tax (including "administrative" charge), that's 52 dollars! and that was with Parcel Force.

Like I said, if this is not "official business" just send it as a gift (well it is a gift in kind of a way - I mean a stereo LA3A for under 500 dollars)

If this will cause trouble, I ok paying tax, after all... I'm used to it... as taxation is one constant in life lol...

Would Carbon Comps really add their goodness in this circuit??
Everything I've read about these (building tube guitar amps) suggest
they only impart their distortion under certain circumstances including
voltages higher than we'd see in a non tube device.

Interesting artical on the subject...
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

Cheers
Sean

I would be in for

4 x boards , 4 x sets of transformers, 4 pairs of matched transistors and 2 x front panels

thanks!

Ringwraith said:
Would Carbon Comps really add their goodness in this circuit??
Everything I've read about these (building tube guitar amps) suggest
they only impart their distortion under certain circumstances including
voltages higher than we'd see in a non tube device.

Interesting artical on the subject...
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/carbon_comp/carboncomp.htm

Cheers
Sean

Meh....I have serious doubts anyone will be able to hear a positive difference.  What you might hear is more noise.  This is a matter to which there is much debate.  I've read that page before as well.  Some good reading there with alot of actual factual info.  Now everyone's entitled to thier own opinion, but personally my standpoint has always been for applications like this carbon comp is a pretty poor component choice compared to modern tighter tolerance metal films, which is why I opted for metal films in my proto instead of carbon comp, however I did contemplate CC's.  Back in the 60's/70's that's what they had, so that's what they used.  But things have come a long way in the last 30/40 years.  Metal films offer much better noise readings, much lower temp co/lower drifting, and tighter tolerances for more consistancy from unit to unit.  I would think things like capacitor choices would have much much more of an impact in the overall sound.  For Sh*ts and giggles I'll throw the CC's in and post some comparisons, hopefully that will squash the debate one way or the other.

Guys are far as sending via gift, unfortunately it's not that simple.  Between this and the SB4K, too much money coming in and out, to the point where's there's no way I could attempt to do it off the books, and hence as far as the IRS is concerned this is offically "business".  Believe me, it sucks for me too - any money I make off this is subject to around a 40% tax.  What I might be able to do is list the costs on the customs info a little closer to my costs, I have to look into it but I think that's ok and perfectly legal.  It's not going to be some huge difference, but it'll help.  From a little research and what I've been told by others, you could expect to pay up to a 20%-25% import duty/fee, but you may also have to pay practically nothing.  It basically depends on who processes your package and what mood they're in today.  So far for the international SB4K kits people have had to pay practically nothing from what I've heard.

And as mentioned - it'll all be shipped USPS, which transfers the package to your country's local postal service.  UPS/Fedex/DHL charge insanely high shipping prices so they're not even an option.  Just to give you an idea - USPS is charging around $13 for my to ship an SB4K board international.  UPS wanted $55 (with my discount).

Put me in for everything to build a stereo unit. It will be a while for me to get the $$$ together, maybe around Christmas...

Guys, I was lucky enough to stop by Ruckus's place and see this thing first hand. It looks WONDERFUL. Seeing it and hearing the samples convinced me to jump in!!!

On components, I'm thinking put Orange Drops in the kits from the get-go. Anybody else agree?

For Canada , depending on which province
gst & pst + 5.00 handling fee [ 12% + 5 for me ]
may as well buy more to amortize the charges
but agreed u.s.p.s. is fine NEVER UPS
could mark X Other , not sure if that'll help

A friend of mine felt his la-2's needed at least
the carbon film resisters to sound " right "
[ he made a few ]

suppose depending on whether it's in the signal path
or just shunting to ground or pwr supply

I'm sure it'd sound fine either way  , more so in the design

Digikey now uses UPS