FEELER: LA-3A - Dual Mono/Stereo 2U Design (AKA The SA-3A) - PAGE 6 TO PRE-ORDER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, first off going through some company marketing mumbo jumbo bla bla bla.  Official company name is now Shadow Audio.  shadowaudio.com will be up in a couple months.  Subsequently, the offical name for this beast is hereby the SA-3A.

Preordering is now offically opened.  Please see page 6 for all the info/pricing.  If you order please leave a message on my white market thread. 

Component kits came in more than I had hoped, alot of items not getting any price breaks on, especially the audiophile caps, etc.  The price listed is within a couple dollars of what it costs to source yourself, however I'm throwing in the matched pair, so you're saving almost $20 what it would cost to self source, as well as saving alot in extra shipping costs.  Still a good deal me thinks:)

Shipping costs of course are steep on the internationals.  I'm getting a discount now though so on the bright side it could have been worse.  Considering you're saving on multiple shipping charges, stilll a win for everybody.

ruckus328 said:
offramp said:
Keeping an eye on this. I have a part-time job at an electronics parts supplier, so I can get my parts, oh, 'cheap'.  ;D
So I'm trying to decide how much of this I want you to provide and how much I want to bother with.

Yea I would be too:)  Part kits of course are completely optional.

My situation is that we're half surplus, half new. Some stuff I can get at a no-brainer price, like 1%'s. It's the trafos and some other things I'm not sure on.
At the moment, I'm battling the onset of a cold. Might be the backside of one, not sure. In any case, concentration on stuff like this isn't in the cards.

:(
I'm gonna have to pass this time, did some calculations after final prices posted
sadly, my eyes were too big for my xmas stocking :)

excellent kit tho, maybe next time around, apologies.

Yeah i'll change my order to everything. I'll send payment through on thursday when i get paid (well i guess it'd be wednesday for you)

ruckus328 said:
Preordering is now offically opened.  Please see page 6 for all the info/pricing.  If you order please leave a message on my white market thread. 

Just checking, you want us to post in the White Market thread for the SB-4000? Shouldn't there be another thread for the SA-3A, won't that be confusing?

Neil said:
ruckus328 said:
Preordering is now offically opened.  Please see page 6 for all the info/pricing.  If you order please leave a message on my white market thread.  

Just checking, you want us to post in the White Market thread for the SB-4000? Shouldn't there be another thread for the SA-3A, won't that be confusing?

Meh, yea on second thought, just post here for the time being and I'll highlight on the list on page 6 who has preordered.  I'm going to edit my white market thread so it'll be for both (and future stuff in the pipeline ;) )  since don't want to have to have multiple threads.  But at the moment I have alot of housekeeping to do.

First post here.  I'm also in for a stereo kit - full package with everything included.  I'd even be willing to pre-pay ASAP if that will help the cause (not sure where to send payment, etc).

Is there anything else I need to do to secure this "Pre-Order"?  Also, where do we stand on the status of the complete kits meeting your minimum quantity requirements?

Between this and two Hairball 1176's - I should have my hands full for a while  :D

Thanks so much!!!  I've been wanting to get int DIY Compressors for a few years now - and between this and Hairball you've made it as easy as Seventh Circle's Preamp kits!  8)

Hi Mike,

Do you have any idea for TB4? I found here http://www.dripelectronics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=30
and the price is 100$ ! so we need to get two  -->> 2x100$ = 200$

So any/many idea ? :)
Thanks

PS: I will paypall you tomorrow !

Randyman... said:
First post here.  I'm also in for a stereo kit - full package with everything included.  I'd even be willing to pre-pay ASAP if that will help the cause (not sure where to send payment, etc).

Is there anything else I need to do to secure this "Pre-Order"?  Also, where do we stand on the status of the complete kits meeting your minimum quantity requirements?

Between this and two Hairball 1176's - I should have my hands full for a while  :D

Thanks so much!!!  I've been wanting to get int DIY Compressors for a few years now - and between this and Hairball you've made it as easy as Seventh Circle's Preamp kits!  8)

Hey, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the interest.

This is kinda to everyone - As far as preorders, I need to get around 10-15 in and I'll feel comfortable enough on the commitment level at that point to pull the trigger on everything, at which point the clock starts ticking.  Preorders can be sent to my paypal address: [email protected]  I understand not everyone is able to place their orders this second, but anyone that is able to, please proceed.  As mentioned they'll be first come first served, and they will ship in that order.  Please post in my white market thread if/what you preordered (just easier to keep track of everything that way): http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40755.msg504921#msg504921

There's a list at the bottom of the page of who has ordered what.  If your name is on the list, then I received your order.  

As far as the component kits minimal, I need at least 15 for it to be feasible (which really isn't that many) as I need to order x quantities to get the price breaks and don't want to end up sitting on massive inventory.  I think we're going to be more than fine though as we're up to there in interest level already at this point.  And it's not something I need to get on order right away, I order from mouser/digikey 3 times a week so I can have it all here next day if I needed to, which gives a little time to make sure I hit the minimal.

T4B's - I discussed this some a few pages back.  As far as availability, there's Drip, Kenetek, UA originals, and ioaudio.  I'm using Drip's in my prototype but I've heard very good things about Kenetek's as well.  No personal experience with the ioaduio, the UA's are obviously good but they're the most expensive ones.  The T4B's are the heart of the unit though, and have a huge impact on the overall sound.  

The reasons that I'm not including them with is:  1) People have their own preferences 2) Even if I got a discount (which really wouldn't be much) it would still be adding close to another $10,000 to the materials costs, and I'm already looking at very serious amounts of money as it is to do this for everyone, so I need to draw the line somewhere. 3) Yes, it would add another $200 to the kit price, making it even more difficult for alot of you guys to be able to swing this thing in 1 shot.

I guess if there was huge amounts of interest for shits and giggles I could look into it just to see.  Maaaaaaybe I could make something happen, and that's a big maybe, though it probably wouldn't end up being much cheaper for the cells themselves for me to provide them, but you'd save on the shipping.  For the sake of preorders and getting this thing moving though, this is a completely seperate entity.  I'll make some calls and see what's possible but it would be something you could place a seperate order for a little down the road, and that's assuming I could make it happen and there was enough interest.

Thanks for your interest in my interest  ;D

So - For the "Full Monty" it would be all 4 items added together, correct?  ($540 plus $24 Shipping/insurance or $564 "out the door"). And I'd still need to supply a chassis (minus front panel), (2x) T4B's, VU Meters, Knobs, XLR's, wire, and the Power Transformer?

Any handy links for the "usual suspects" for those omitted components?  Or a ballpark cost on these items?

I'll send the PayPal payment your way as soon as you confirm.  Thanks!

Randyman... said:
Thanks for your interest in my interest  ;D

So - For the "Full Monty" it would be all 4 items added together, correct?  ($540 plus $24 Shipping/insurance or $564 "out the door"). And I'd still need to supply a chassis (minus front panel), (2x) T4B's, VU Meters, Knobs, XLR's, wire, and the Power Transformer?

Any handy links for the "usual suspects" for those omitted components?  Or a ballpark cost on these items?

I'll send the PayPal payment your way as soon as you confirm.  Thanks!

lol, EVERYONE keeps missing about the matched pairs haha.  If you're buying the component kit, there's no additional change for the matched pairs, they're included in the price of the component kit.  So it's $520 total, +$24 shipping/insured in the US, so $544 "out the door" in the US.

2 things:

I had been thinking about providing the power xfmr as well with the bundle for a while now, since at this point, screw it might as well, I'm already sending you a package and it'll add a minute to stick it in the box with everything else, and already past the threshold where weight is an issue.  And it will elimate alot of you having to place a single order with mouser/digi/farnell.  So I'd like to get a raise of hands if you guys are interested.  Need to double check and get a formal quote in the morning but looks like worst case they'd be around $20-$25 (Shipped).  Don't let this deter anyone from placing their order if you are ready though as I want to pull the trigger on this.  If I do move forward with it I can just invoice anyone that's already ordered the difference if you want it.

T4B's - it looks like it is possible, if there's enough interest.  Not sure exactly the price at this time but they'll be less than $100 shipped, maybe closer to $90.  It makes things complicated trying to keep track of who's ordered what when we start breaking up orders, but I understand that paying for the kit and these all in one purchase is going to start to get difficult for alot, so for those that would need to I would allow you to order these seperately from the rest of the kit.  So need to get a raise of hands of interest.  Again, for sake of preorders though, we will deal with this item seperately.

I'm in for the Power Transformer and the T4B's if possible.  I've seen NOS T4B's for $200-$250 ea, and some other UREI originals for $185 or so.  The Drip ones for $100 seem like a steal if they sound the part - and even more so if we get a discount!!!

We're saving so much cash versus buying original vintage gear that the small added cost of a "one stop shop" (YOU!) is well worth the other option of scrounging nick-knacks from 6 different places to save a few bucks (at least for me it is - and I'm sure to get the correct parts this way  :D ).

Was my listing of what I'll need to provide accurate?  I'm headed home - but please confirm one way or the other and I'll get my PayPal payment sent your way later.  Might it be best to hold off until you get the Power Transformer and T4B situation worked out - or would you prefer a payment now the way the package stands now?  And then supplement with a secondary payment as things pan out?

Thanks!!!!  8)

Drip's T4B's are very nice, there are plenty here who'll agree.

As far as the bundled price - actually you're saving at least $100 compared to self sourcing everything, internationals are saving even more when you consider the extra shipping charges being elimated.  Just a recap too, the interstage and output transformers are faithful recreations of the original, the input is same as being used on the reissues, so about as close to the vintage as you could ask for  ;D

Yup, you list looks good.  You'll need some #6 hardware too for mounting the boards.  I'll have a BOM up in the next week or so, although 99% of it's already included with the kit.

As mentioned, please don't hold on up preordering because of the power xfmr/t4b situation, they may not even happen and if they do I'll just invoice the difference at that point.  I want to pull the trigger on the long lead items as soon as possible.  Power xfmr I can have in a day and t4b's in a week or so so they're a non issue

Thanks again for the support!

Personally if ptownkid puts together a remaining parts kit together, i'd rather just get that later.

Then i could get the meter etc and everything then, maybe talk to him and see if he can get the t4b too, that way prices can be broken up easily.

Payment sent  :)

What chassis are you recommending with your front plate?  And do you have any links or part numbers for some compatible VU Meters and appropriate knobs for this build? 

I'll sit tight on the power transformer and T4B's for now, but please keep us posted so we can source these ourselves if need be (I predict a huge "run" on T4B's in December ;D )

8)

I'm in for the "Full Monty".
I'd source any additional components you make available as well!
Thanks!
This will be tasty on top of my two enchiladas!

Latest posts

Back