fet boy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Matta, dont throw those "at not 12v dc out" away. Just change the
drain resistor to get 12 dc out. You get a little different gain but just
a few dB change.
Cheers Bo

Thanks Bo, I have thought about it, but Fabio's boards are DS, once it is in it is pretty hard to get out without being VERY careful! I might try find a way of socketing it and seeing if I can't fudge the values. Good call!

Thanks

Matt

Hi Guys,

I know quite a few people have picked up these boards from Fabio and some
are daunted, or confused by the lack of documentation, so I decided to
write some to help you all and also anyone else wanting to start this
project.

You will also find a parts list, schematic and some additional instructions.

Thanks to Kev for hosting it over at the DIY Factory. I?ll will be adding
some more photo?s over the weekend and will add some audio clips in time as
well.

I think these pres sound fantastic and have a unique flavour.

Here is the documentation: http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/fetboy/fetboy.htm

Cheers

Matt

alo matt
got my fetboy working last week.
sounds very good,quiet,and has tons of gain.
the other fetboy still in hospital.
best regards
pedro

What would this Forum be with Fabio... Fabiolous? Hah hah!

Pedro, I'm glad it is up and running :thumb:

Great news. I hope the other one leaves hospital soon.
If you need help just post here and we can try and troubleshoot it.

It is more than a pleasure to help you, heck knows it is the least
I can do for all the help I've received from others!

Cheers

Matt

HEY!

Matt did my homework! :green: Great job on the page brother!

I have my both first channels gone as gift/payment for the guy who did some tracking for us on some sessions...

It was fun, the producer told me he prefered the FETboy to 312!!! :shock:

Anyaway, it is cheap, fun and great sounding little micpre.

And now it have its own page!!! TOO COOL!

:guinness:
Fabio

I did a session with them the other night with an MC/Rapper and we tried out my Telefunken V672's, Spectra Sonics 101's and the FETboys.

The Spectra Sonics came out tops for just a BIG smooth sound, but in the context of the mix both the producer, myself and artist chose the FETboy, which had a tight low end and mid presence that just sat in the mix.

The Tele's were my least favourite in this particular scenario, but what isfor sure all 3 sounded quite different, I love choices!

Cheers

Matt

Small mistake on page of the project, guys... The reference to the scheme (@fetboy_sch_rev1.pdf - schemnatic drawn by Fabio@) - does not work (gives out other file more precisely...)
Best :green:
:thumb:

Great info Matt!

My Fetboy boards last night after a worldwind trip of who know's where! They took almost a month to arrive in the USA.

I am looking forward to this project too. I was suprised at how small these boards are! In your pictures, they seemed to be twice the size....then again, when I got the 2520 boards I said the same thing!

Joe

Hey...

When using a tant for the 10uF output cap, as they're polarised - what way round should they be stuffed? Also, whats the min voltage rating needed? 25V?

Cheers!

D

Yip,

It is marked on the board if you are using Fabio's board where the + leg isfurthest AWAY from the V in. I think 25V should be fine since you should have +12V at the junction before the cap, but you can pop in 35V for safe keeping.

Having compared mine with the Tants with another Forum member who used Polys the Tants have a darker mid range presense to them, thePoly's sound 'smoother'.

Hope it helps.

Matt

Hey guys,

I did a search for this board in the Black Market and couldn't find anything. Was this a limited time only board and I missed the boat?

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="Xopek"]Small mistake on page of the project, guys... The reference to the scheme (@fetboy_sch_rev1.pdf - schemnatic drawn by Fabio@) - does not work (gives out other file more precisely...)[/quote]
???

is this still an issue ?

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/fetboy/fetboy_sch_rev1.pdf
seems to work for me

Hey Matt,

Check with Fabio, send him a PM or E-mail, he may still have stock.

KEV! good to see you here, you are welcome to link the project page to your main page now and did you get the updated images I sent through a while back?

Cheers

Matt

[quote author="matta"]Hey Matt,

Check with Fabio, send him a PM or E-mail, he may still have stock.

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

Done, thanks Matt.

Matt

[quote author="matta"] ... you are welcome to link the project page to your main page now and did you get the updated images I sent through a while back? [/quote]
I think it is linked
and
have a look at the page and tell me if they are the pictures you speak off
http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/fetboy/fetboy.htm

Hi Kev (or anyone who can help)

is the link to the parts list meant to be functional or is it not live?

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/fetboy/DIYF_parts_lists_old.xls

I'm a Newb who has lost many hours of sleep trying to learn about this stuff (it's 2.50am here in Ireland) :grin: . I'm thinking of building the Fetboy as my first project after the Small Bear tremelo that's on it's way to me as I type.

If anybody has a fetboy parts list with supplier info I would greatly appreciate it - my limited knowledge combined with a dial-up connection is making parts sourcing an uphill struggle,

many thanks,
Ruairi

Hi Kev (or anyone who can help)

is the link to the parts list meant to be functional or is it not live?

http://www.diyfactory.com/projects/fetboy/DIYF_parts_lists_old.xls

I'm a Newb who has lost many hours of sleep trying to learn about this stuff (it's 2.50am here in Ireland) :grin: . I'm thinking of building the Fetboy as my first project after the Small Bear tremelo that's on it's way to me as I type.

If anybody has a fetboy parts list with supplier info I would greatly appreciate it - my limited knowledge combined with a dial-up connection is making parts sourcing an uphill struggle,

many thanks,
Ruairi

Back