FET847 Microphone Project Circuit By Jonathan Burtner PCB Layout By Poctop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I’d be interested to hear some audio samples. I can put a few up as well.

I’m wondering what you gentlemen are using this mic for? I recall reading several posts about expecting a room or overhead mic, and being pleasantly surprised.

I just cut a track using this mic for all my vocals. Really liking it. I also use it for my paid gig on one particular narrator. He’s got that classic deep radio voice, which suits this mic perfectly. On female narrators it’s all kinds of wrong.

I’d be interested to hear some audio samples. I can put a few up as well.

I’m wondering what you gentlemen are using this mic for? I recall reading several posts about expecting a room or overhead mic, and being pleasantly surprised.

I just cut a track using this mic for all my vocals. Really liking it. I also use it for my paid gig on one particular narrator. He’s got that classic deep radio voice, which suits this mic perfectly. On female narrators it’s all kinds of wrong.
It's like a mini U87i. You can use it for anything.

Last edited:
Is it possible to fit the Cinemag 2461 transformer in a bm700/800 body? This is a 6.5:1 u47ish transformer.

I built my pair 5 years ago and never reopened them... There's nothing to be worried here ;)
But the slow warming-up time is less than ideal. Especially if the circuit can be modified to avoid it.

That's what happens when people slap together circuits (more or less) "blindly" or "just because", not always understanding all the how's and why's. 🤷‍♂️

Sheesh. I for one am appreciative of Jonathan for seeing this project realized in full as a PCB. It may not be as fun to verify what mic bodies, e.g., work with a prototyped PCB than to slag off the design with half-realized improvements, but Jonathan successfully brought a fully supported and documented PCB to the community. You, on the other hand, have focused your energies on demonstrating how much better insight you have to the circuit. But when members ask if they could realize your circuit as a finished PCB, you wouldn't even provide the full set of files to them, much less put in the 'grunt' work in the first post that makes a circuit / project all the more of a valuable contribution to the community. Khron, you make some great points and contributions, you've directly helped me in posts as I learn more EE, and I am grateful for that. I also recognize the significant effort it takes to fully create a project for everyone's benefit,. Criticism has a place, but when a member focuses more energy on tearing down vs. building, I think it says more about the person than the topic.

Back