First PCB-design: 32C eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boji said:
If you were going to post a schematic or board design directly from a piece of design software, I can't think of a better program than Eagle. Aside from being free, it has a decent following in the DIY community and is a good choice for low frequency, 2 layer boards.

Off-topic, but now that EAGLE is owned by AutoDesk, its standing among the hobbyists has sunk.

Excellent! Where are you based, and how much plus postage would you be able to sell me 16 boards for?

wlinart said:
Well, I'm actually making progress, so it's gonna be allright.
I hope the pcb's will be ready around the end of april at last.
I'm not sure if i want to sell them, but i can just order some more of my own run for you. Price won't be high, i guess €20 max per pcb.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Hi, how are you getting along with the PCBs? I'd love a few sets of them

wlinart said:
Hi All,

I started with my first pcb design: the harrison 32C eq. Because it's my first time, I'm not sure it's a good design.
Could you maybe check if the pcb is useable?
I included the scematics in this post

Hi All,

I started with my first pcb design: the harrison 32C eq. Because it's my first time, I'm not sure it's a good design.
Is it possible to get gerbers or eagle file? as it missed I believe
thank you

Hi All,

[Here is the brd file (eagle)] -- Do you still have your EAGLE schematic, PCB and GERBER files for your project? I can check them all out for you. Let me know, OK???

/

Hi guys, sorry for my late reaction. I took a break from groupdiy (and other online places) for a while to focus on other things. The last few reactions here are asking about the gerbers or eagle files. I don't think i've got them anymore, but they were unusable anyway. I redrew them in a good way in easyeda, took some time to solder them. But when trying to finish it had a setback with the potentiometer sending me the wrong potentiometers. So the pcb is still laying here, untested. And to be honest, i don't think i'll test them soon. Maybe i'll get back into diy audio gear in a bit, but right now it's part of the massive pile of parts laying here waiting to be finished.
How to continue with this? I'm not sure. Maybe i'll send them over to someone else to finish it, it's 90% done anyway and should work.

Hi all,

I was really interested in this project a few years ago, and scrolling through my PCB layouts I found I had done a PCB for this project. So I opened it up, tidied it up a bit, and here it is below.

The BYPASS and LF BELL/SHELF switches are going to have to be mounted directly on the front panel with flying leads to Molex connectors. There is simply no space with the pots mounted on the PCB edge.

I have made it 500 series compatible, but with Molex connectors for non-500 series use. I used the pots as suggested above, which arrived today, so I will make a prototype to check the layout.

The PCBs will be commercially made by an ISO9001 plant here in Johannesburg. If any of you have bought boards from me before, you will know that they are A1 quality. Judging from past projects they will cost between $16 and $20 depending on quantity.

Let me know what you all think, all feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• H32-EQ-V1-Check.jpg
    H32-EQ-V1-Check.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi all,

Let me know what you all think, all feedback is welcome.
>> While it is interesting that you were able to design this PCB by only using a "single-sided" layout, if you would have used a "double-sided" layout, you could have easily avoided a lot of the "squirrely and serpentine" routing that is shown here. These days, PCB-fabrication shops stock "double-sided" laminates as standard, so you are basically just washing all of the TOPSIDE copper down the drain by using a "single-sided" layout. In addition, by using a "double-sided" layout you -- could have -- used a "TOPSIDE Copper Pour" as both a GND PLANE and as a SHIELD for your circuitry. Just sayin.....

However.....I do find these areas of your routing to be somewhat "dubious" at best:

1710419678544.png
1710419735396.png

1710419789776.png
1710419959301.png
1710420074815.png

> Were these routes going somewhere???
1710419847411.png

And.....I will extend to you my same offer as I had made in my Post #26.....send me both your GERBER and N/C Drill files by means of a PM and I will process them through my $4,200 "GERBER & N/C Drill File Analysis & Editing" program. Not only can I -- clean-up -- some of your routing issues, but this program will also perform a series of "PCB fabrication DRC" checks and routines and will report any fabrication issues (i.e., Soldermask, Silkscreen, Annular Ring, Drill-2-Pad, etc.) that may be inherent within your files, but you are not aware of them.

Some other "GroupDIY" members have sent me their fabrication files for a variety of reasons. One member sent me his files and requested that I change/edit his GERBER files because he didn't have access to the original CAD PCB-design file. After I imported his files and ran them through my program, it reported that his files contained - 7 - fabrication issues (Soldermask, Pastemask, Silkscreen, Annular Ring, etc.) which really surprised this member because he had NO IDEA!!! So, I went ahead and corrected all of the problems, generated all new fabrication files and sent them back to the member. He then had 100 PCBs made and wrote back to me stating that the latest batch of his PCBs were the -- BEST LOOKING -- PCBs that he had ever seen!!! And, they were even made by the same PCB-shop that he has always used. So, he was totally thrilled!!!. He even mailed 6 of his new boards to me as "souvenirs" because he was so proud of his new PCBs!!! HA!!! COOL!!!

And.....FYI.....I have been designing PCBs for aerospace/avionics companies, defense contractors, medical electronics firms, even NASA, R&D laboratories and others, in addition to "one of the largest concert sound-reinforcement companies in the world". You could also include your original PCB-design CAD-files (schematic & PCB), as I just might also have the same program or a program that will import your files, which would be useful for other DRC checks (DRC = Design Rule Checks).

Just in case you're wondering, here are a couple examples of the types of PCBs I have designed:

1710422111758.png
1710422176319.png

>> NOTE: Both of these images are -- JUST THE TOPSIDE -- of these boards!!! The BOTTOMSIDE of these two boards also have about another 1/2 as many parts on them as well!!! Both of these PCBs are 10-Layer designs.

So.....if you are open-minded and willing enough to send me your PCB CAD-files and GERBER and N/C Drill data files, I can check them out for you and let you know what pops up, OK??? COOL???.....

/

Hey MA, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on this when the PCB is done. I've been looking at the project again, and I think we could fit in the HP and LP filters. Gonna be pretty crowded on the front panel......

Hey MA, thanks for the offer, I might take you up on this when the PCB is done. I've been looking at the project again, and I think we could fit in the HP and LP filters. Gonna be pretty crowded on the front panel......
[I might take you up on this when the PCB is done] -- I'll be "Standing By....." for when you're ready!!! Meanwhile, when the time comes that you want to send me your PCB CAD-files, GERBER files and the N/C Drill file.....send me a PM with everything in a ZIP file. This way all of your design work will be kept private. TAKE CARE!!!

Standing By.....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

/

Back