First project - Building a tape machien from parts?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hold

(Note - i originally posted this over on gearlutz. I hope posting it here also (pretty much verbatim) isnt against any netiquette, and i apologise if it is)

Often than not i keep seeing parts for various quality (from my perspective anyhow) reel-to-reel machines on ebay for not a great deal of wedge. Enough to get me thinking of the viability of building a machine for myself, as way of a first major electronics project.

Abit about me - im a very amatuer live sound engineer (read - the only punk in my area geeky enough to learn about audio engineering off my own back, and therefore the default "sound guy") looking to start up a small recording studio.
Im really into the ground up approach - learning the physics you know? So iv been busying myself with learning simple analog electronics, acoustics, haphazardly learning to solder and then as a side effect learning how to treat 3rd degree burns ect ect...

Iv decided to start getting all the pieces together for my studio, and have been toying with the idea of doing it analog (various reasons that dont need to be discussed here, primarily cos im really into analog electronics and tinkering).

Edit - i should say if its not obvious, i really into DIY. I've only wrapped and soldered my own cables so far, building a 4-way headphone amp as next step, looking to mod cheapo chinese mics, corner traps and realistic dummy speaker load for guitar (based on this design http://aikenamps.com/spkrload.html) planned for after that.

So im wondering, for a first serious electronics project, one that would help teach me alot about proffesional audio electronics and also give me a nice center piece for my recording setup, would building a tape machine from scrap be a good idea?

Things im considering - cost, availability of parts, compatability of parts, things i would have to machine/fabricate myself, thing i could fabricate myself rather than buy, complexity of the whole project.

Weighing these points up against the gains of such a project, which iv outlined above but can clarify if anyone dosent actually see any benefit, what do the geeks have to say? Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Hello,

welcome here!
I would say it almost impossible to do this except if you have a tool and die maker shop to start with, still it would be a challenge....

Later this year I will do an overhaul on my Lyrec 532, 24tr/2" and I know already this will consume weeks of time.

But don't let me stop you if this what you want to do.

Kind regards,

Willem.

Building a tape transport with even aqcceptable performance is really, really hard, even if you have access to a full metal-working shop including a computerized milling machine. The tolerances are very, very tight. Expect to spend thousands of dollars. Or more.

On the other hand, you might think about buying a good workhorse machine, like an Ampex AG440, and as a first step (assuming the heads are good), doing some mods on the electronics, plus upgrading the transport as much as possible (rotating idlers, better guides, etc.).

Peace,
Paul

Having maintained tape machines for 22 years I would say that you can learn much more in the beginning by building circuits on breadboards or kits offered here.  I say that because that is what I did for about 12 years before I touched my first Studer.

To build "a tape machine from scrap" would consume so much time better spent learning more about good layout technique, understanding power requirements of circuits, chicks, soldering technique, recording chains, babes, and social things.

Get a few recording chains DIY'ed first and then snag a used tape machine for mixdowns.
Mike  

if you have the balls for it !
take a look at the AEG/Telefunken M15 and M15A magnetophones, if you live in europe you can find them very cheap and theres lots of parts available from germany. the tape transport and chassi is very very robust and has a "classic" and very simple layout. these machines can easily be modified or adapted. i bought an M15 8 track 1 inch tape machine some years ago (including a 16 track 2" and a 24 track 2" M15As) that came without the amplifiers/cards. i'm planning to build/transform this machine into a 2 track 1/2 inch master machine and would like to build the electronics for it (with a tube input and playback amp :)
but i don't have the time money and space at the moment...  soon
good luck with your project !
isophase

Hold said:
Abit about me - im a very amatuer live sound engineer (read - the only punk in my area geeky enough to learn about audio engineering off my own back, and therefore the default "sound guy") looking to start up a small recording studio.
Im really into the ground up approach - learning the physics you know? So iv been busying myself with learning simple analog electronics, acoustics, haphazardly learning to solder and then as a side effect learning how to treat 3rd degree burns ect ect...

Iv decided to start getting all the pieces together for my studio, and have been toying with the idea of doing it analog (various reasons that dont need to be discussed here, primarily cos im really into analog electronics and tinkering).

BTW i'm about that
:)

Wicked, thanks for all the positive feedback!

I think it's a very convincing argument - as a first project it's abit too much of a leap from the small stuff ive been doing/planning so far.

I'm really keen to get heavy into the electronic engineering side of audio (bought myself art of electronics and the analog circuit cpomanion - you know, the one with The Math in it) even if doing it off my own back is not as rigourous as say, academically learning it.
So the complexity of the project is not something im scared away from, but the timescale of completing satisfactorily compared to what i could probably be doing/learning/building in the meanwhile does make it seem redundant.

isophase >> very interesting idea! Its very similar to what i had in mind, and definately something i will think about.

Still, great feedback guys, and its good to know when/if i start something like this there are plenty of tech heads to tap for info! 

Latest posts

Back