florida, Hurricane Matthew

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

good luck to east coast friends and
residents of Florida with the Hurricane Matthew...
its scary  :(

I'm in North Georgia, well away from the coast (the coastal areas of Georgia are also under the warning).

For anyone coming north toward Atlanta, there's free camping at this location:
http://www.atlantamotorspeedway.com/media/news/atlanta-motor-speedway-opens-camping-facilities-for-hurricane-matthew-evacuees.html

I grew up on the Texas coast, we haver gotten our far share of hurricanes...
They are no joke or  however  you use to describe serious natural disasters. The only upside is you have some advanced warning so you can plan accordingly. As much as leaving  to go elsewhere is a good idea it does pose problems in trying to get back before the waters go down.  Yet at the same time riding it out has just as many problems.

I wish them the best of luck and lucky for me I have heard from a few fellow audio people via social media, despite the fox news forecast of your going to die, things seem to be not nearly as bad.

JohnRoberts said:
Lets hope the weather predictions are as overstated as usual.

Haiti got creamed.

JR

They were severely overstated. Shepard Smith lost it (ptsd from Katrina?) and in general, a lot of South Floridians came out the next day upset that they had closed their businesses for what was not even tropical storm force winds.

The thing is, the NOAA wind speed probability charts never had anything south of West Palm Beach having more than a 50% chance of hurricane force winds. I watched every new chart/advisory from the NOAA, and this pretty much stayed true (in fact, the storm ended up east of the predicted track). I made my decision to not evacuate solely based on their information (I live two miles from the Atlantic). I never watched anything on cable news, and only periodically would check local news. I never felt unsafe, either.

Unfortunately, cable news needs big dramatic stories (see: politics), so everything is sensationalized to the point of possibly crying wolf. I worry that people are going to get "preparation fatigue" and put themselves in a bad place when the next storm arrives...

rob_gould said:
Last I read, 900+ people have died in Haiti. RIP
Yup Haiti has a long history of getting the short end of the stick...

There are some charities doing good work there and some disgusting profiteering, but that's the world we live in today.

JR

Latest posts

Back