Focus-rite Voice-master- Pro Upgrade?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gct

HI
I'm using the voicemaster pro platinum on solo vocals and wondered if anyone had upgraded the mic preamp. Just had a quick look and there's a stack of transistors, a load of electrolytics and diodes and a 5532.

Any thoughts

Cheers

GCT

Platinum 6 Revision 3 card

Is it Surface mount? if not, I would expect changing the capacitors to open up the sound (depending on what caps it started with) Ne5532(4) are actually very nice chips despite what a lot of people say.

Is the preamp just an ina217 something chip? Or is discrete transistors on the front end?

It looks like all transistors to me. Will have another look. I want something smoother.

Just been given 5 dead Voicemaster pro's (all have been previously repaired by Focusrite) and am trying to draw out the front end schematic... for fun

The mic amp is very similar to the 1u voicemaster:-

Discrete BJT front end with 2SB737/2SC3112 CFP's between a current source and sink (have yet to plug in the values but there is no discolouration of the PCB unlike the 1u box, so may be run at a lower current? or better ventilation:)).

Balanced output fed to 5532 diff amp via relay (inst i/p) and switch (line i/p).
The 5532 has an output pull-up resistor for 'class A' studio heating.

The Electrolytics in the signal path are reasonable commercial grade units.

If the rest of the unit is as similar to the 1u box then (shock horror) the design is a good cost vs facilities compromise.  The Eq in particular is excellent for 'preset' voice tweaking of DJ's/talent. 

There are remarkable similarities between the schematics of the 1u box and the Behringer VX2496 (in tech docs) and the Alto Voice plus ( http://www.amexcoargentina.com.ar/ )

Ah...sounds like it should sound pretty good. Transistors straight into a NE5534 chip. You say you want something "smoother" I would look at replacing caps, may or may not clean up sound. I've found that is something sounds "murky" or what have you, 9 times out of 10 its bad/to many/unbiased/ electrolytic capacitors.

on another note, have you considered your microphone? What microphone are you using? I have a friend who uses the focusrite voice-master stuff, to my ears it does sound a little "clean" and even a tad unfocused, but that is without me actually using the gear, in an controlled environment...its just speculation.

If its engineered like behringer stuff, then there will be a full crop of Electros in the circuit. I wonder what would happen if you took 90% of those caps out?? I bet the circuit would work just fine, probably sounds quite a bit better too. I'm not recommending you do this though, but you could replace every capacitor with a Bi-polar equivalent. They do sound much better and I would imagine your time being well spent when you fire it up again and run some audio through it.

mmmmm.... I like that idea. Can't go wrong. There are 14 electrolytics I could identify without removing the board. Will give it a try next time I place an order.

I can get all bipolar at 50V, even though the originals range from 10v to 50V or are there other options?

Cheers
GCT

I would stick with 50v if thats easier, really it won't effect sound (at least that's what people on the forum who's opinions i respect have said, and I agree, though I haven't done a scientific test)

gct said:
It looks like all transistors to me. Will have another look. I want something smoother.

Out of interest have you tried listening to the insert o/p?...if so do you think it's any better?

I've built a few similar topology mic amps over the years, admitedly with only a current source / sink in the 'emitter' of the input transistor pair and been quite impressed with the results. OK, they lacked a little something that mic amps built by pixies during a full moon have, but they were remarkably vice free particularly when overloaded.  May be...just maybe the lack of global feedback has an influence here?

Cheers

tc 

Correction!

Did a bit more work last night and the differential to single ended convertor after the line and instrument switching is a Birt superbal circuit built arround a 5532 with the 5534 being the second gain stage.  The original Voicemaster used a simple diff amp built with a SIL resistor package for resistor matching.

Did you mean do I like the sound better without using the spdif converters? I used an octapre ADAT converter instead and found I prefered the octapre converters.

Will do the cap upgrade and see if there's an improvement. Also my mini preamp project will get an opa output to see if that can be  improved.

Cheers

GCT

Hi
Just ordering the Non-polar electrolytics and see the useful life stated as 2000H.

Does this mean they will be useless in less than a year?

Cheers

gct said:
Hi
Just ordering the Non-polar electrolytics and see the useful life stated as 2000H.

Does this mean they will be useless in less than a year?

Cheers

No caps usually last much longer than that. 10-15 years is what i have found, but it just depends. Some old caps test fine, but when you replace them there are quite noticeable sonic improvements. Others sound great.

Replaced all but 2 electrolytics with Bipolar(I couldn't see the back of the preamp before  dismantling) The sound is quite different on the mic in. It allows more low bass through. The bass plosions are very much more evident on my quick close up test without a pop shield. There is also less top end. As my complaint about the Voicemaster was the harsh high end it has certainly mellowed. I will need to hear how it sounds with our vocalist before reaching a final conclusion.
Cheers

GCT

> useful life stated as 2000H

At MAXimum temperature and voltage.

How hot is your studio?

Well it get's a bit sweaty in there in the summer - but not close to 85ºC.

I was just surprised to see such a short life expectancy.

> surprised to see such a short life expectancy

Especially since they don't give much guidance on de-rating.

Generally chemical reactions go 2X faster every 10 deg C hotter. And the other way. So 85C-35C is 50 deg C cooler than life-test, 2^5 is 32, and 32*2,000 is seven years straight. More if turned-off sometimes.

Or to be blunt: the caps will last about as long as your vocal-cords. I know singers who sing 4 hours a day most days; 64,000 hours at 4hr/day is 40 years, and most of the older singers I have known don't get in 4 hours every day.

Thanks. Seems in context now. Another good reason to use the air conditioning.
Cheers
GCT

Recorded vocals for the first time with the mod and I'm very happy with the results and would recommend the mod. The bass goes down lower and the top is not so harsh.

I also found another tweak by accident. The bypass switch on the front panel actually affects the sound so as I normally don't use the extra functions and insert a separate compressor it's worth pressing the "all bypass" button. You get +1dB @ 9K and +1dB @ 12k just for the bypass. I normally had all the effects turned off and thought it was the same but it shows up on measurement.

Many thanks for the ideas. Well worth the effort.

GCT

Back