focusrite 64 ch. console power supplies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a British built power supplies for an analog mixing console and I am losing transformers. Duvine LTD is no help with any output specs on the transformer or any information. Built more than 10 years ago and to hard to dig it up I guess 'Question' Should I measure outputs of transformer under load? anyone wanna help? Anyone with focusrite out there? Rob Jenkins? Rupert Neve? Any custom transformer builders out there? Had a guy do it to no avail.......

iirc, the guy(Crispin?) who founded Crookwood (as in Paintpot mic-amps) was working on the building of the Forte at MAsterock back in the day . . . .

or you could try asking Jonathon Goldstraw, the Tech Honcho, at Metropolis in London. I've not worked there for yonks, but I believe they still have a Forte. He must have some info, or know someone that does!

Blah,

ANdyP

Thanx for the reply but few focusrites are around anymore, metropolis is mostly ssl now. I know the transformers are off the shelf and need output specs for a custom, perfect build.

I usually ship the original broken transformer, together with known-specs and a schematic to my local transformer-manufacturer, and they'll make me one that works.

Don't underestimate the knowledge of those guys that has designed power-supply transformers their whole life..

Jakob E.

Sent a transformer to speciality guy and he rewound the same thing. It gets to hot under load and burns a fuse. It can sit all day with no load but can't keep up with the console plugged in. Checked all the cicuit protection and regulators, they all work in supplies. I just know I need new ones. Any good transformer people in the states? I am still going to keep my guy doing his all, just need good info from you all that work in the same field as I do.

do you have the tech or install manual. If it's popping the fues and the transformer is getting hot you might consider adjusting the power supplies. It shoulds like a current issue In the tech manual it should indicate what voltages should be at what test points on the PCB. Probably needs an adjustment. We just finished putting in a VR-60 @ work. I know keith we went slow but anyway We had to readjust the PSU's cause when all channels were in the console would stop working. Should be some trim pots or something...

[quote author="pucho812"]do you have the tech or install manual[/quote]

:shock:

:shock:

-From FOCUSRITE???

-THAT's a great punchline! -I'll have to remember that one!

-Seriously... pretty much all you ever got from focusrite when you bought a new Forte console was a free sniff of the exhaust fumes as the driver pulled away...!

Yes, there's an "I-max" or "I-lim" (current max or current limit) asjustment, you set it for no trip at inrush, then it's left alone...

...If you thought that the delivery of the VR60 was fraught with difficulties, consider the people in New York who bought the first Forte in the states... they didn't even get a console!!! -Ask Hutch at Manley about it sometime! -I'm serious, BTW!

Keef

Thanx for the replies.... It is just bolt in transformers and the problem is when is under load. The manuel does not go into detail about the transformer, it gives a wiring diagram and that's about it. I am just wondering if my transformer guy did something on the winding. I should be able to bolt it in and go to town. The units are built by Duvine Devolopments LTD in England. Anyone know anyone at Duvine????? The units are +15 -15 V 15A bipolar power supplies and I have been thru them more than a few times. I really need a kicka** transformer guy to give me many replacements to drop in and fire it up. I found the problem, just need to replace the faulty transformers.

Can you post pictures? Any hard info would be great?

There are a number of very good xfmr companies in the states and I have a heard time believing we can't find a cross/replacement.

Mike

Duvine detailes are here.

http://www.duvine.biz/
Haverhill, Suffolk, CB9 7UU, UK. Telephone +44 (0)1440 706777 Fax: +44 (0)1440 762810

Quote..
We have been installing power systems for more than 10 years and believe the service we offer is second to none.
#

give em a call
most firms will actually go out of their way to help you if you approach it right

I am confused?

Are the transformers burning up?
I.E. windings open?
If not.
Then place in the next bigger available fuse size in amps.
If that still has false trips go up to then go uo to the next value.
You want the mininium value that gives no nuisance fuse blowing.

Then
Take the transformer to a transformer rewinder.
Ask him to classify the insulation class.
That determines the max operating temp.
He will help to tell you how to temp probe your transformer safely.
If the transformer is under the max temp the insulation is rated
you are fine not to worry.
Remember they are supposed to run hot.

If they are cooking too hot (per insulation class) then you need a new transformer.
Just buy one off the shelf it is cheaper.
You could throw the old supplies away and just buy
new supplies. http://www.internationalpower.com/

It looks like you may be chasing you tail on this problem.
If the old design has a design problem fix it and move on.
If it works fine and just trips fuses change to a value that works and
double check the transformer is not too hot and move on.
You problem looks easy from this end.
Let us know how you make out.
And what details we missed.

Had a long talk with the rewinder and amp winding add on is in order....just waiting.......cookin' kind of hot under load, amps cookin' down......fun with electricity!! Thanx

Keef et al . . .

LAck of manual certainly rings a bell . . . the only reason that Masterock got their Forte was because having been tipped off as to bancrupcy, they turned up with a truck, removed what was there, and paid the Focusrite staff to FINISH it ON SITE iirc. Must have cost an aditional FORT(E)-UNE! (sorry!) Original install did not keep soft switch settings on power on. VERY helpful mid-mix(NOT!), as I found to my cost. - and tape-op hadn't done a recall thereof, even though he KNEW it was on the cards . . . :evil: I ALWAYS prefered SSL myself . . . . . Just not a Focusrite fan, I guess. Cool all input design, though, and (un-qualified comment) I liked the mix-bus, just never got a handle on the eq and compresssors. just too benign and bland for me.

Blah Blah Blah,

AndyP

Great pre's Great eq's 130's are Great comps....no pumping. It has been running 24/7 for 13 years. recapped from top to bottom, + phase beyond 200k, clean and wide mixes with enough outboard to dirty it up. Just fixin the last couple of things on my list. Thanx to everyone for your comments. I like ssl's also, buttons are a little small for my fingers though.....Mix it , fix it, make music. Later

Fortes sound W-A-Y better than any SSL of the era.

the early fortes weren't all-input design, they had I/O modules with monitor faders, though only three were ever built, and only one was ever supplied complete.

They always lost switch settings, from what I heard. later ones were no better.

The audio performance for orchestral, jazz and other clear, pure-sounding projects was simply beyond reproach. The company however, died too young, and many ends were left untied. Lack of PSU documentation is no surprise. If I had to do it, I'd get international power modules and be done with it. It's what Rupert himself did in the end.

Keith

or you could try asking Jonathon Goldstraw, the Tech Honcho, at Metropolis in London. I've not worked there for yonks, but I believe they still have a Forte. He must have some info, or know someone that does!

Just a quick note:

-There is no longer a Focusrite at Metropolis.
-John Goldstraw can be found there a couple of days a week, but is not necessarily there full time. He'll probably be able to give you a bit of help but he won't be able to give you the specs off the top of his head, and
-There's very little chance of them having the specs lying around anymore.

P.S. It was not a Forte at Metrop.

Matt

Latest posts

Back