Free $200 repair, or $200 free repair...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  The typical TV case, swap a few caps and is up and running, vs swap the PS board for about $200 here in my country is what doesn't make sense. That's not problem of stocking parts or being beyond economical repair, that's politics.

Nobody wants to repair their pentium 2 with 32MB of DDR and 1GB HDD, those parts are completely useless. Even if it could be doing some job at some niche place, you sure can do that Rπ for cents, and it will take much less power, which is also a concern nowadays.

What to do with awfully old parts is a problem, throwing away perfectly new parts (the rest of the broken machine) is another. I don't know about the awfully old ones, and that's most of what's filling those fields in Ghana. This kind of tech has an inevitably short life span and we are seeing the consequences of that old gen away, the CRT generation we could call it. The perfectly good parts are those which should be used in some way, young DIYers do a lot to recicle them for free but there aren't enough young DIYers to deal with the amount of stuff we are talking about. Friends of mine had buckets of savaged parts. I never got that mad about used resistors...  ???

I do this kind of repairs for people close to me, I love the smell of melted tin and when is just swapping a cap I do it, when isn't possible to repair I take the thing for it's useful parts, but there's still a lot that is not useful.

JS

> an important tax law decision .... Not very prudent accounting

Major effects in several industries.

Chrysler had a stockholder dispute, and the unintended consequence was that Production got full credit for every car they made, whether Sales could sell it or not. Chrysler was renting every vacant lot in the city to store unsold cars, but they could call it "inventory". New tax rule, they couldn't count iron that would not sell near nominal price. Which was perhaps better than a runaway production department, but forced major changes.

Books. It was normal for a book to be held in inventory "back catalog" for years. A book might sell 5K the first year and 1K/yr for a few more years. The economics of printing mean that once you start a run, you may as well roll-off 10K. It worked out. But New tax rule, books not sold that season were a liability, back catalogs trimmed to a few profitable bones. Also (along with the rise of used-text markets) academic authors were encouraged to "revised new edition" every year, even if only to shuffle page-numbers and confound students with the old edition. (Profs can always get the new edition free.) Yes, PoD has opened new ways to account small-run books, though the price is far higher than the tail-end of a large press run.

PRR said:
> an important tax law decision .... Not very prudent accounting

Major effects in several industries.

Chrysler had a stockholder dispute, and the unintended consequence was that Production got full credit for every car they made, whether Sales could sell it or not. Chrysler was renting every vacant lot in the city to store unsold cars, but they could call it "inventory". New tax rule, they couldn't count iron that would not sell near nominal price. Which was perhaps better than a runaway production department, but forced major changes.

Books. It was normal for a book to be held in inventory "back catalog" for years. A book might sell 5K the first year and 1K/yr for a few more years. The economics of printing mean that once you start a run, you may as well roll-off 10K. It worked out. But New tax rule, books not sold that season were a liability, back catalogs trimmed to a few profitable bones. Also (along with the rise of used-text markets) academic authors were encouraged to "revised new edition" every year, even if only to shuffle page-numbers and confound students with the old edition. (Profs can always get the new edition free.) Yes, PoD has opened new ways to account small-run books, though the price is far higher than the tail-end of a large press run.
Yes I think the actual case law was "Thor power tool" where they were no longer allowed to write down spare parts to a fraction of full value based on expectation of not selling everything and having to discard unused parts years in the future.  Arguably some could abuse the write down to understate inventory, but they would book extra profit if/when they sold the repair parts that have been written down.

The book business was hit hard because of their disproportionate set up cost vs, per book run cost. This is becoming academic as books will ultimately be printed to order eventually (for the dinosaurs who still buy books like me).

I just looked at one of the new hardcover books that just came in ("Storm in a teacup", Czerski ) and it mentioned who printed it (manufacturing by Quad Graphics Fairfield) so I did a little google research and the print house advertises that they use a digital printing press so that sounds like shorter print runs that are more practical to manage unsold inventory.

JR

> manufacturing by Quad Graphics Fairfield

They are a major and innovative operation, old-school and leading-edge.

I'm sure their accounts-staff will know both the manufacturing cross-overs and your long-term tax consequences. PoD costs more per copy but there's zero books in warehouses to account.

It is the first time I have seen cat-walks (instead of handles) on a piece of hp gear:

Attachments

• big-hp-printer.jpg
    big-hp-printer.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 17
Back