Free resistors vs. good resistors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking resistors batman !! You cant beat free resistors!

I don't mind using carbon film 5%. I ohm them out to find the best ones quite often very close to 1%. I prefer to use the metal film 1%, but if I have a bunch of the other I dont mind using them.

Idea : :idea:

How bout a resistor exchange program? I have 1000's each of about 20 different values. If anyone else has many of a different value that someone does not have they could trade? Although some of the values I have may not be as common? example: 9.1 k 1% etc. This is a good post for the Black market. "component swapmeet" I have noticed these types of trades do happen often.

Z

Well, I do have a bit also:

Parts3.jpg

I probably have more than 200 values, but I don't have 2500 of each :grin:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Speaking of capacitors and free stuff: I recently found a very big 10 µ cap from a washing machine or something. I first thought it was polyprop, but then saw that it's marked "MP" which means metal paper, I suppose. Is this thing any good for audio?

[quote author="mcs"]These are the resistors I'm talking about:

Resistors.jpg

The actual colour is dark red, and they are 1W, 1/2W and 1/4W sizes. I know they're German, but I don't know who made them. I've seen them in a lot of the good equipment from the sixties...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen[/quote]

These were made by Beyshlag in Germany, good quality, i think they are part of Vishay now.

It's a motor run capacitor.

I haven't tried those for audio - but they are generally very inexpensive in high-voltage/large value versions, so they may be a good thing to try out for tube circuits. Anyone?

I've only used these to unroll to make microphone diagphrame material..

Jakob E.

I'm pretty sure MP is used for metal paper. Metallized polyester would usually be MKS or MKT, polyprop would be MKP. I definetly know that at least WIMA uses MP for metal paper ("Metallpapier"). Those are usually used in power supplies. But I've seen others of these big can caps that were marked "MKP" (polyprop). I know they are used with motors of all sorts. Hence in washing machines, too. Maybe they sound particularly clean? :wink:

Yes, Germans do like abbreviations. :roll: Take a look at www.wima.com if you wanna know more. Other German manufacturers use (or used) those or similar abbreviations, too.

Doesn´t motor run caps have internal resistance in series with the capacitor? This woul make it useless for our circuits...

[quote author="rafafredd"]Doesn´t motor run caps have internal resistance in series with the capacitor?[/quote]
No, not the ones I have seen. They are perfect for tube power supplies. Read more here: http://www.angela.com/catalog/capacitors/Ang_Poly_Oil.html

They are probably cheaper elsewhere though...

Be sure you get motor RUN capacitors. Motor START capacitors are not meant for continous use, and they are often electrolytics.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Latest posts

Back