Front panel express new digital print

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
I am with you on that one. I am envious of all these guys that come up with beautiful graphics on their front panels. I just have zero skill in that area. However, one thing FPD does have is the ability to rotate characters through an angle about a point so you can  place them in a circle round controls. It is a bit fiddly but there is a good tutorial about it on their web site. I think most graphics programs have similar features.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Interesting, I did not know that. I will have to try it.

I also seem to recall an online tool that would generate .hgpl files with "points" to place around controls? Dont remember what its called, and cannot find it for the life of me.

iampoor1 said:
Hi Ian

Interesting, I did not know that. I will have to try it.

I also seem to recall an online tool that would generate .hgpl files with "points" to place around controls? Dont remember what its called, and cannot find it for the life of me.
I have seen that too.  I used it to make some standard dials and saved them as macros in fpd. You only need to do it once because fpd can scale them. And no, I cannot remember where I found it either!!

Cheers

Ian

Hello

That's exactly why I use technical drawing software, lot of easy tools to draw complex line and point reference for such label dispersion.
In Qcad, trace a line, duplicate it with angle definition, then trace a circle, at cross line/circles you have all your ref points to place label in a perfect circular pattern.
You can then automatically cut lines at one side of the circle line (let say inner), you'll have a circle with short line perpendicular to edge, remove the circle (or hide the layer) you have short pointer and label... done in 2 minutes.
Just an example, there is so many options and special reshape tools!
Best
Zam

ps: Ian I'll be happy to help you drawing your tube mixer FP if you wish

zamproject said:
Hello

That's exactly why I use technical drawing software, lot of easy tools to draw complex line and point reference for such label dispersion.
In Qcad, trace a line, duplicate it with angle definition, then trace a circle, at cross line/circles you have all your ref points to place label in a perfect circular pattern.
You can then automatically cut lines at one side of the circle line (let say inner), you'll have a circle with short line perpendicular to edge, remove the circle (or hide the layer) you have short pointer and label... done in 2 minutes.
Just an example, there is so many options and special reshape tools!
Best
Zam

ps: Ian I'll be happy to help you drawing your tube mixer FP if you wish

I also have QCAD; it's the only CAD software I ever shelled out hard cash for on my Linux box. Like all these tools it is a matter of learning how to do the things you want to do with it. I find so many of these programs grossly counter intuitive - that's why I still draw schematics by hand. I liked FPD because it was the first CAD  drawing package that seemed intuitive to me - why doesn't every drawing package let you select an item by clicking it then right click for a context sensitive menu.

It is good to know there is a (relatively) easy method for scales in QCAD so I really must bite the bullet and invest the time to acquire a modicum of skill with it because it will be generally useful for many other things.

And thank you for the kind offer to help draw my tube mixers. I will certainly take you up  on that.

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Did anyone notice that the latest EULA for FPD says you can only use the software if you have the panels made by Schaeffer?

ruffrecords said:
And thank you for the kind offer to help draw my tube mixers. I will certainly take you up  on that.

Don't hesitate if needed

ruffrecords said:
P.S. Did anyone notice that the latest EULA for FPD says you can only use the software if you have the panels made by Schaeffer?

Nope don't see that, but who will/can check if you do a dxf export and send it to another FP maker...

Best
Zam

Here's one way that's been successful for me to get perfect circles and scales. First you make your scale in the below link

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html

Via trial and error you eventually either insert it into Front Panel Designer (if you're happy with it) as an HPGL or in AutoCAD or Inkscape whichever you choose to use to further edit it.

If you want to change the scale or change the numbers you can do that in Inkscape or AutoCad (whichever) and from there you can tear it apart, edit it, add more lines or dots, put it back together, use different numbers, etc....  You have a good foundation to work with.
If you're okay with how the scale looks then just insert it into FPD and you can still always add text or  numbers to it at any point.
When I edit and add numbers and text in FPD I group everything.  Using the square select tool I select all of the area around the scale and group them. I then turn them into an  'hpgl object' which you can do in FPD easily enough.
That way I can easily grab it, duplicate it, etc.... Or ungroup and edit it.

It used to be cheaper to put the HPGL in Inkscape and edit it there; adding all your numbers, text, dots, etc... And then saving that as an HPGL and inserting it into FPD.  FPD will treat it as one object as opposed to 20 (arbitrary number) individual text characters, 3 objects, etc...

I also have a little library of pre-made hpgl scales if anyone ever needs them you can hit me up. Some I made, others were made by members on this forum that I've collected over the years.

I use a program called Front Designer 3.0.
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/frontdesigner.html
Works for me.  YMMV
Best,
Bruno2000

I have no interest in this company.  I just bought and use the software.

Latest posts

Back