G9 Capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a load of goodies to more or less finish my G9 - just little confused about C3/C103 value - schematic and parts list say 470n but PCB silk screen says 220n. Can anybodylet me know

Cheers

Both 220n and 470n will work, so just use whatever value you find in your parts bin :grin:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I have a new cap-related question:

Why are C16-C18 three times 1000µF ? Is it because 3000µF is hard to get ?
Or do the maximum voltages over the three caps add up ? (so you get 75v)

Is it ok if I replace them with one 3300µF-25v capacitor ?

Thanks !

[quote author="Arno"]
Why are C16-C18 three times 1000µF ?[/quote]
Smaller total height maybe?
Is it because 3000µF is hard to get ?
It doesn't exsist, IMO.
Or do the maximum voltages over the three caps add up ? (so you get 75v)
No. This is valid for the caps series connection.
Is it ok if I replace them with one 3300µF-25v capacitor ?
Yes. Also, 2200uF will be fine.
Regards,
Milan

Hi,

Before Building My G9, I 'd like to know What is the Best Capacitors I have to buy for the G9.

Do you think that Mallory, Orange drop, solen fast capacitors will be better than WIMA or not..

maybe this questions was already asked but I have to be sure to know what is the Best Components for the G9 before building it...

Thanks

Ok, so let's go with the WIMA...

:grin:

A guy said me that there are maybe some Errors on Capacitors's Values on the BOM , Is it Right?

I know it's not a question about capacitors but I have also a question about JACK of instrument.
Can I buy STEREO jack, is it the same than Switched jack?

thanks

[quote author="mathflan"]Ok, so let's go with the WIMA...

:grin:

A guy said me that there are maybe some Errors on Capacitors's Values on the BOM , Is it Right?

I know it's not a question about capacitors but I have also a question about JACK of instrument.
Can I buy STEREO jack, is it the same than Switched jack?

thanks[/quote]

Hi,

G9 preamp is a very nice base for a tube preamp.When I've build my first one I've paid a 'fortune' caps for the signal path (220nF/250v+470nF/250v+4.7µF/250v).... ok the sound was here BUT after and on this others ones tubes preamps I've build.....my choice for the Price/quality is WIMA Caps .For me it's great caps you can use very expensives ones and more but see if it's so so important.

For the Heaters supply I've used 105°C caps 2200µf+2200µF+2200µF/35V and for the regulator see the 78T12 in TO22O package with a nicy Heatsink he is marvellous.

Best regards.
A bientot.
Bruno.

thanks bruno

tu est de la loire??, moi aussi :grin: , de saint etienne, Cool de savoir qu on est pas le seul francais ici

I made a mistake on an order, I took two 1UF 250 volt instead of the 1.5UF, Is it bad??

I have another question :

On the PCB, it's note that C3 and C103 are 220 nF capacitors whereas on the Components list, it's note C3 and C103 are 70nF.

Which are the good capacitors??

Ok I didn't see on the meta thread of G9 that the question with 470/220 Nf was already asked.
It seems that 470Nf is the right Value.

BUt FOr the 1Uf instead of 1.5Uf, is it critical?

Hi !

Pour les valeurs de condos, il est preférable de sur dimensioner au niveau voltage afin d avoir une meilleur bande passante, par contre il est peu recommandé de prendre des valeurs de capacité en dessous de celle preconisée.
Ensuite tu peux t interessé au dV/dT qui te sont donnés dans les data sheet des composant qui t interessent, ce terme qui est la derivée du voltage en fonction du temps te renseigne sur la vitesse du condo à "encaisser' de fort voltage en un minimum de temps, ce qui est interessant pour le rendu des transitoires...
Donc pour resumer, les transitoires seront d'autant mieux rendus quand ce terme sera important ( entre 100 et 1000V par micro seconde) , Enfin c est ce que je pense avoir compris en passant de nombreuses heures sur ce forum et sur sur des pages perso d audiophiles.

Moi aussi je suis tombé sur le charme de ce superbe pré ampli, je suis en passe de le finir, il me reste plus que le rack, je deteste la mecanique :oops:

Thanks Jakob for the G9!!!!!!!

Sorry but I can't explain in english because I don't speak very well. I would upload pics of my G9 but I don't have a web site. So, how show pics?

Ok thanks Macifiste,

Sorry for the community for the French post of Macwifiste.

so it's not Very good to use a capacitor with a lower value than capictors recommended on Schematics...

so I will buy two 1.5uf :sad:

Back