G9 headroom?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's what you might call valve headroom...as in it will gently start to distort in ways that you will probably like, and you are likely to set the levels in such a way as to take advantage of a certain amount of that colouration. Due to the gentle onset of distortion, you can't really pick a signal level that is the maximum that the unit will handle as it all comes down to taste; and without defining the maximum signal level you can't define the headroom. I have never checked the maximum output on my G9's, but I'm sure it will do pro levels without any serious, objectionable distortion. Actually, I do recall it doing 30v peak to peak (low load) on the scope without any visible distortion if I'm not mistaken...

Bjorn

Thanks for the info.................Has anyone do any testing on the G9 do get some numbers? :thumb:

[quote author="thestudio"]Thanks for the info.................Has anyone do any testing on the G9 do get some numbers? :thumb:[/quote]

Hello thestudio,
Here is a quick "bench" I did some months ago.
http://site.voila.fr/flyingfader/audio/G9/Bench_G9.pdf

Fly

tony dB,

Thanks, Didn't know there was a different version but are the pcb's being sold work with both version or do I have modify the present one?

there is no PCB available for the commercial version of the G9.
Jakob is kind enough to offer us a DIY-version of his design what we use "as is" and gives many users around here a lot of joy and satisfaction.

If budget allows me i would like to buy a PROversion soon. Unfortunately i spend to much cash on DIY lately, so cash is low...

I checked www.gyraf.dk but didn't see any numbers you might be looking for. Also, numbers don't tell anything. There's numberous gear outthere with amazing figures but at the same time with dreadful sounds too.

The G9 is NOT in that categorie, just build one and enjoy it. I'm close to completing 4 units, just waiting for a friend to help me out with the casing. I'm sure these will find daily use in our studios.

Cheers,

Tony

Back