G9 problems continued...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know the maximum ratin g of the 6X4 rectifier the old circuit had but that dosen't mean the transformer could deliver that. You still need to know the transformer specs. It could be more, or less than 70mA on primary.

Which were the cables that have to be screened to eleiminate the high gain oscillation problem ?

I have screened input & output cables, but have oscillation on only the highest gain setting on the right hand channel which is nearest to the PSU.

I`m not quite sure whether this is a screening problem or not. I originally had a gain switch that I got quite cheaply made by a company called alpha from rapid electronics. I was getting the oscillation on pos 11 & really low gain on pos 12. After checking things out I discovered that this switch is in fact an 11 postions switch, although it was listed as 12 positions (be warned). Now I have replaced it with a 12 position switch the oscillation only happens on position 12 ??

12 positions - is this right, Rob?

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/g9/g9_sch.gif

I just looked at the Gyraf page and it states only 11 positions for this: 1-4 = attenuation & lowest gain, 5-11 = gain, no attenuation.

:?:

I've built two G9s now. The second one (the 'BBC' variant) has some noise on channel two at high gain, but I'm beginning to suspect pickup from one of the film caps.

Stewart

Yes, the gain switch is only 11 positions. The schematic is probably a bit flawed around that area.

The PCB's are know working, and can be used for reference if you're in doubt.

Jakob E.

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]

But, thinking about it does this explain what happened with the 1st switch I was using ?[/quote]

...no.... :shock:

No, this has not solved the problem. It appears that all these switches are really 11 position & not 12. If I notch the switch back a peg then I don`t have oscillation on the highest setting, but I only have 10 postions & less gain than the other channel is giving.

That's the classic oscillation thingy alright. You'll need to experiment a bit with the interconnection wires to get rid of it - please report back on your findings..

Jakob E.

Some observations:
I managed to improve this on one of mine by shielding around the HPF capacitors with some copper mesh, and even bending one of the caps! The other unit seems OK. Having read some posts here on the asymmetry of film caps, I'm going to try swapping the cap around to see if that helps things.
Stewart

I have sorted out this problem after a bit of playing around.

I tried a sheild for the PSU, which made no difference. I then agitated the pcb interconnect wires. The row with 10 odd wires made no difference.

However, prodding the row of 5 wires altered the image on my scope, so I decided to concentrate on this area. I disconnected these 5 wires & twisted them, then reconnected, & the problem was solved.

[quote author="Bjorn Zetterlund"]Right...some further experiments!

V1A

Plate: 160,158,157
Grid: 47,48,50
Cathode: 77,80,81

Node: 74,76,78
HT: 234,234,234

V1B

Plate: 83,78,75
Grid: 0,0,0
Cathode: 2.2, 2.3, 2.3

Having established that the results seemed to have a reasonable spread between different valves, I thought I'd try lowering the HT until the V1A cathode voltage dropped to 60, which would be acceptable for C7. I found that I had to drop the HT to 180 for this. According to the G9 schem, that would mean (245-180=) 65 volts dropped by R31, which is 1k...hence it must pass 65mA. But I just read in one of Jakobs posts to another G9 question that each G9 channel needs about 8mA, so something must be wrong here! I do use 6.3V heating, so it will be slightly hotter that the standard G9, but surely it can't be due to that? And should the 'node' voltage and the grid of V1A differ by about 28V? That would suggest a grid current of 27uA?

So just where am I going wrong with this :roll:

Bjorn

...and these DC readings do correspond to the values of one of my G9 channels posted over at RO.[/quote]

Hi,

I can read virtually the same voltages on my G9. Did anyone measure the correct values to read?

Thanks,

Val

:roll:

The second G9 I`ve built is experiencing the same problem as the first. However the solution to sort out the oscillation on the first one does not cure the problem on the second G9. This was twisting the group of 5 wires to the switch PCB.

Messing around with my scope I notciced that the oscillation dissapears if I put a probel on the grid of V1a. Looking at the circuit diagram I notice that there are no grid stopper resistors. Do you think maybe this would be a cure ? I`m thinking that the whole amp might be more stable with them. Would 1K be a good value to try ?

heloo

i have a prblem: i dont get the 12 volts!
i already changed the 78s12 and checked pcb, caps, diodes and resistors but no 12v!

for the 245v i get 276 volt
the 48 volt phantom is exact 48v

has anybody some values i can measure or hints where the problem could be?

thank you very much!

Back