gar2520 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,

I’m currently building a number of gar2520s. I got five kits from CAPI, and all are fine – except for one. Whatever I do, the golden Millmax pins won’t go into the PCB. I tried it gently as well as with some force, and I even bent one of the pins during the process (ouch). It’s like the holes are simply too small for the pins. The same pins fit into the other four PCBs without any problems, it’s just this one PCB that won’t behave.

Perhaps I should also mention that it’s not the first time I’m building DOAs, but I never experienced something like this.

Is it possible that this PCB could just be faulty? And how can I fix the issue?

Thanks a lot,
Claudio

Whoops said:
Isn't that as simple as just enlarging the holes a little bit on that PCB?

Yes, I just did that after reading that TillM had the same problem a while ago.

Hi all
I just inserted a newly built gar2520 v4.1 in a passive EQ makeup circuit that's working in another unit and R11 burned instantly. PSU is +/- 16VDC, clean.
transistors and diodes are correctly oriented... I am puzzled !

20k5 resistor is replaced by a 50k trim in order to adjust makeup gain.

edit : I dropped in another Gar2520 v4.1 built at the same time, everything works perfectly. Weird !

Attachments

• makeup.jpeg
    makeup.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi all
I just inserted a newly built gar2520 v4.1 in a passive EQ makeup circuit that's working in another unit and R11 burned instantly. PSU is +/- 16VDC, clean.
transistors and diodes are correctly oriented... I am puzzled !

20k5 resistor is replaced by a 50k trim in order to adjust makeup gain.

edit : I dropped in another Gar2520 v4.1 built at the same time, everything works perfectly. Weird !
Check for solder bridges or PCB trace shorts related to R11.

I had a similar problem and it was 2 bridged solder pads, that should not be connected together.

The components and traces are so close to each other that it’s easy to mistakenly bridging them. Also solder the components on top of the PCB, or at least make sure the solder reaches the top.
Inspect all the solder pads and traces very well.

Re-check all the diodes and transistor orientation again anyway, it doesn’t hurt

If R11 burned a transistor might have gone dead with it also, so that should be checked

feedback : R11 burned, BD139-16 is dead too, and I found a cracked diode (D18)... maybe I got damaged during soldering ? Otherwise no short, no broken trace on the PCB.. I'll replace the components and give it a good clean and try.

Latest posts

Back