Gates 28 CO New Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mouser had those rotaries a year ago, now they're out of stock with a huge minimum order.  Someone must have them, I think they are Alpha and still in their literature. 

I got them from Rapid Electronics in the UK, I bought 12, enough for 6 more compressors.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Miniature-Wafer-Switch-2-X-12-50-1106?sourceRefKey=7HEpJY5KU

They are made in Germany apparently, not China, and are good quality at a very reasonable price.

best
DaveP

All the wiring is now finished and connected up.

All tubed up and ready to test.

Run out of time this week, so will report on test next week.

Final job will be labelling the controls and putting some ties on the cables.

best
DaveP

Weather has improved so the studio is warm enough to record, must take advantage of this as I only have it for 8 more months.

There will then be a long gap while I build another in my barn in France.

I will come back to finish this build in a few weeks, I'm recording Cinnamon Girl, seems to suit my voice quite well and I can play the parts ok.
best
DaveP

Back on the case.

Finished the track now, have a listen if you like:-
http://soundcloud.com/delayed-action/cinnamon-girl

The input TX is picking up hum from the power supply (150Hz.... typical transformer pickup).

I've got to track that down and minimise any hum loops I might have created.
May have to add additional shielding.
Will keep you posted.
best
DaveP

DaveP said:
All the wiring is now finished and connected up.

All tubed up and ready to test.

Run out of time this week, so will report on test next week.

Final job will be labelling the controls and putting some ties on the cables.

best
DaveP

Pure delight... :)

wrt Cinnamon Girl: while frankly the outro guitar solo doesn´t really thrill me, the SOUND of it is totally nice! Wouldn´t even call it overdriven, just beautifully textured.

Thanks L'Andratte,

I ain't no lead guitarist, just trying to do a passable job, glad you liked the sound though.  We didn't have any effects boxes back in the day, all we could do was overload amps and speakers and that was the sound I was trying to re-create.  There is quite a wide range of effects built into the Yamaha digital deck I use, I use the heavy blues settings and DI the guitars during playback.

Actually, Neil Young's solo didn't exactly thrill me, just hitting the same note all the time, so that's why I tried to do something different, but his is probably more exciting.
best
DaveP

Hey don´t take this to seriously
I´m just no indiscriminate ´LIKE´ing guy, to point this out I have to smuggle in some criticism somewhere ;D
Hard enough with most stuff on this forum

The fascination w/Neil Youngs guitar solos for me is, how unhoned even technically unskilled they are, while being often very expressive and beautiful.

Yeah, that's how I feel about his guitar work too.

I'm just pleased anyone likes anything about my guitar work  :eek:
best
DaveP

Hello Dave, still very impressed with this one... I've been thinking about these light bulb / lamp limiters lately. Where did you use it on this Cinnamon Girl cover ? What elements ?
Would you say it's fast, slow, level dependent ?

Hi Thomas, sorry to disappoint but it was not used on the Cinnamon Girl cover, I just shipped it to Doug Williams (EMRR) where I believe it still is.

The guitar sound was generated in the Yamaha digital desk.

The 28CO was designed in the very early days of compression on the radio. It had a slowish compression from the light bulbs supplemented by the fast attack from the Grid 3 connection on the input tubes 6J7's.

Looking at this build again, I realise that I made an earthing error! The chassis should have been earthed at the IEC socket earth and the busbar should have gone to the input socket earth Doh! Correcting this error will reduce whatever hum it has.

Best
DaveP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back