Glue / Epoxy for adding stability to electrolytic caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
I've used  clear silicone glue with great results. holds well and is just as easily removable.

+1 On the plain old silicon, hot glue doesnt glue very well to pcbs, plus, if it gets hot in there it will detach from the pcb, i once did that to my MCI console, thing is so hot that the hot glue "unglued" after a couple of hours and it could be easily peeled with just my fingers.

Yup, holt glue has limited application (ok for low temp, low force stuff I do like preventing wires from vibrating ).. I also use nylon cable ties for massive parts that need to be secured.

I was surprised while doing drop testing on my current product to find that nylon cable ties would simply shear from the force involved trying to hold some batteries in place... Probably another reason so many companies ship batteries separately.  8)

JR

Sorry to scratch up from the earth this old thread..
Working on some old synthesizers and amps , ribbon cables are often glued on the side where they are soldered to the pcb with a king of brown compact mastic, I'd really like to get some of this.. anyone knows what it is?

+1 for CLEAR E6000. Was a tip from the late great Oliver Archut. I use it all over the place.  OK for super high impedance stuff like mics too, per Ollie and personal experience.

Another good item is Automotive Goop. We used it where I worked to affix tiny RF transformers to pcb's.  It does not dry hard like epoxy; so it is easily removed, if needed. I use it to hold 1 lb. power transformers glued to aluminum project boxes.

zebra50 said:
Or drill a couple of holes in the board and use tie wraps or solder a bit of wire round.

Works well for older tube gear and DIY - which is where you commonly find big electros, but not so well for tight PCBs.

zebra50, yes!! The tie wraps is the best option if it can be installed!

opacheco.

Back