Grampian 636 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the Soundgas Grampian clone supposedly fetches 5000+ dollars on Reverb , I see Soundgas has now discontinued production before they were blown out of the water by Behringer .
We've certainly had lots of discussion here about the Grampian over the years ,
wouldnt be at all surprised if Uli Beh was sitting on the sidelines, tapping good ideas .

It seems the Behringer clone has only room for a short Accutronics style tank inside , still nice though , I'm very tempted , but I might just wait until we see a teardown here first .

One mod that comes to mind is a regen circuit , using the aux input to feed back a portion of the output signal , should only require a patch cable to do it .

wouldnt be at all surprised if Uli Beh was sitting on the sidelines, tapping good ideas .

He (Uli) is reading these very lines RIGHT NOW!
While he strokes a fluffy white cat, sitting on a big leather covered chair.
Planning his Total World Emulation & Annihilation of every last DIY'er...

I might just buy one from Thomann.de... only €199 😐 :LOL:
M

Last edited:
I don't know, but since Music Group is already producing a lot of silicon in their own factories, maybe they just made some?

Is it easy to produce Ge transistors?

Ge is still being sold, since it's used in very different applications, like nuclear reactors and even (alternative?) medicine.

I heard the face plate is the closest resemblance to the real thing. Can someone confirm this is using germanium at all, not some out-of-breath TL072´s pushing some twangy spring?

Is it easy to produce Ge transistors?

Ge is still being sold, since it's used in very different applications, like nuclear reactors and even (alternative?) medicine.

Understood. I have Germanium parts at home still now (NOS). But selling a brand new product with Ge in it? Wouldn't that fail the EU regulations, which are many and stop them from selling retail? Thomann.de has them in stock right now. Am I tripping here or not?

M

Wouldn't that fail the EU regulations, which are many and stop them from selling retail? Thomann.de has them in stock right now. Am I tripping here or not?

It would

But Music Group probably don't care, or decided to ignore the rules hoping to claim incompetence if anyone comes after them

E.g. the KT-2A, which is an optical compressor, banned in the EU because of the cadmium in surface of the photocell, is also available at Thomann

Not good, and no, you're not trippin'

/Jakob E.

I struggle to find any sympathy for a company like that but with regards to cadmium LDRs in audio products EU law is out of proportion, and particularly it doesn't make any sense at all for T4B modules which are pluggable and could be recycled properly as we do with many other pollutants we use in our daily lives.
I appreciate they and other manufacturers in the audio industry are not giving a crap about it.

I doubt they are setting up production of germanium transistors just for a product like this. If it had germanium transistors they would definitely mention it in their marketing ads.

The original had a 48V supply, this one only 12V.
So the circuit cannot be the same.
Those looking at it for its desired overdrive/distortion features may be seriously disappointed.

EDIT: misread the schemo, supply is 18V.

Last edited:
Understood. I have Germanium parts at home still now (NOS). But selling a brand new product with Ge in it? Wouldn't that fail the EU regulations, which are many and stop them from selling retail? Thomann.de has them in stock right now. Am I tripping here or not?

I hadn't even considered that. But, afaict, Ge isn't on the ROHS list. At least not for electronics.

https://www.carlroth.com/medias/SDB-1L54-GB-EN.pdf

It is not required to list the identified uses because the substance is not subject to registration
according to REACH (< 1 t/a).

I struggle to find any sympathy for a company like that but with regards to cadmium LDRs in audio products EU law is out of proportion, and particularly it doesn't make any sense at all for T4B modules which are pluggable and could be recycled properly as we do with many other pollutants we use in our daily lives.
I appreciate they and other manufacturers in the audio industry are not giving a crap about it.

I doubt they are setting up production of germanium transistors just for a product like this. If it had germanium transistors they would definitely mention it in their marketing ads.

I think that's up to the manufacturers. They would need to setup a recycling system. Like we have for batteries and stuff that contains mercury, fi. That means you would be able to use Cd in a system that isn't sold, but leased, or rented. Then it's up to the manufacturer to recycle the component that contains Cd.

Of course, that excludes small manufacturers. Too expensive. For batteries there's a non profit (started by the battery manufacturers) that recycles them, financed by an "ecology" tax on the products. The same goes for electronics; only those are recycled by parastatal entities created by the govt. Both work extremely well.

Latest posts

Back