Grampian 636 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the letter posted on the Soundgas site by Frank Mercer, it seems to point towards a supply in the range of 19-25 volts ,

Theres no way of really knowing what inside the Behringer until someone does a teardown ,
chances are there wont be a transformer coupled mic amp or fully discrete circuitry throughout.
Even though it runs on a 12v supply doesnt mean it couldnt generate its own +/- supply internally for op amps .

When I looked at Thomann the other day these units were on pre order with a two month lead time ,where someone in a previous post here seemed to be able to buy one right away .

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/02/be...6-a-clone-of-the-classic-grampian-reverb.html
Hmmmm looks like Uli landed himself up in court again over this one ,
Years ago when I was in the hifi and Dj equipment trade we started selling Behringer , I remember the owner of the company who supplied us telling me about the very agressive sales tactics of the Uli reps .

Ive found even with short springs adding the sound of two tanks ironed out a lot of the flutter echos , resulting in complex tails with more engaging psychoacoustic properties especially from the performers perspective .

I read the letter posted on the Soundgas site by Frank Mercer, it seems to point towards a supply in the range of 19-25 volts ,
Contrary to what I wrote previously, the supply voltage in the original was 18V (two 9V batteries).
Even though it runs on a 12v supply doesnt mean it couldnt generate its own +/- supply internally for op amps .
Indeed.

Last edited:
I was talking about the Behringer reverb, if there were germanium in that one, they would have mentioned it at least five times in the sales blurb...
Oops, sorry, I was meant to be responding to the question about the front panel - I discover I gave the same answer to two different posts.

Cheers

Ian

You're right, Germanium in transistors is still OK technically - but all available were manufactured pre-ROHS and has pins coated in SnPb and/or Cd.

NTE subs are just NOS, not new production.

Haven't yet seen a single example of ROHS-certifiable germanium transistors..

https://synthanatomy.com/2024/02/be...6-a-clone-of-the-classic-grampian-reverb.html
Hmmmm looks like Uli landed himself up in court again over this one ,
Years ago when I was in the hifi and Dj equipment trade we started selling Behringer , I remember the owner of the company who supplied us telling me about the very agressive sales tactics of the Uli reps .

Ive found even with short springs adding the sound of two tanks ironed out a lot of the flutter echos , resulting in complex tails with more engaging psychoacoustic properties especially from the performers perspective .

I'd guess they're afraid of Grampian Pharmaceuticals, that holds the Grampian trademark since 1995...

Using the trademark wouldn't really hurt Behringer, but it's a costly affair being sued for nothing. TM legislation is rather brutal. A trademark holder is supposed to sue. If they don't they might just loose the TM. Apple, fi, sued a snackbar in Luxembourg called "Der Apfel". Apple knew it was useless as the case would be thrown out on the basis that Der Apfel didn't manufacture computers. If Apple wanted to be malicious, they would have started a snack range before suing. Apparently, Apple didn't want to ruin that tiny enterprise in Luxembourg, as it would be bad press...

Back