• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Grayhill PC mount series 71 hollow shaft switches FOR SALE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to do some digging. For the boards I am using the pots I have don't solder directly to PCB. I fitted the shaft through the Grayhill then did some custom fastening to secure the pot. What I would recommend is using some like this: Classic Audio Products, Inc.. Then add a shaft extension. For mounting to make sure the shaft lines up, you fit the shaft in the Grayhill and solder the switch in place. Then you would solder the pot at whatever height it winds up being that makes the shaft straight and not bind. This is how Jeff at CAPI does all of his attenuators for his preamps. Or you can have a riser PCB like Mike at Hairball does his Lola preamps. I think this approach might be a bit easier than trying to find a potentiometer that has a shaft at the same height from a PCB surface to match the concentric hole of the Grayhill. I did try finding something to do what you are looking to design but it wound up being easier to just find the shaft length and value then make it the physical dimensions work with the board I was using. The other option would be a custom order, which can have long lead times and expensive minimum orders as you may know.

Thanks!

Paul
I built some 1.6 mm spacers to address this issue for Bournes 7mm sealed pots. Since the Grayhill's I have are 10mm to center (Hopefully the hollow shaft ones are the same), this will allow the shorter pots to be raised to 10.2 mm, using 2 of the spacers, which should allow them to interface nicely with the Grayhill's.

Attachments

• 7mm Pot Standoff.png
    7mm Pot Standoff.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 11.48.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 11.48.30 AM.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
I found the original drawings from Grayhill. Should answer any clearance/dimension questions.

Attachments

• 71YY50971_preliminary_dwg.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 71YY50972_preliminary_dwg.pdf
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
Back