Green Pre/DIY Help!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clister01

Oy... so much work... so much fun but I havn't even got all the parts yet... so I have a couple questions about my Green Pre that I'm building and some general DIY questions if anyone has the time to help me out:

1) So I'm building a 2 channel Green Pre unit and I have no idea what I need it terms of an AC Filter, Transformer and Power Cord (or where to get them) to power this bad boy. I'm in the US (whatever that means for voltage stuff). Any help or suggestions? Specifics would be great.

3) I'm planning on using a very slightly modified version of JayDee's Front Panel (http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=108768) and I was wondering if anyone (JayDee maybe) knew where I could order the power switch from.

2) So I'm getting my front panels done by Front Panel Express but I kind of spaced on drilling the back of the unit. I'm looking for something that will look really clean (got the cases from Par Metal). It seems to me the concesus among everyone is getting a drill press. I'm on a tight budget so does anyone have any suggestions for something sub $200 US? Something that I can use to make holes big enough for the Neutrik XLR connectors and squeeze the power cable through. Again... specifics would help big time...

Thanks so much for the help... peace!

-Cameron

1) a switch for a 19,5mmx13mm cutout?
maybe:
www.mouser.com catalog page 1142
black: 401-1284-ND

There is an illuminated version available also... green and red for example. But if you live in the US i think you have to choose the 125V i think.

2) I used a drill press.. but i don't like it that much... you have to drill a hole in the middle to use the drill press. So I use this one:
101090.gif

I've done the exact same thing with the panel, jaydee's design looked so good.

I just bought a switch which was readily available and then adjusted the size of the cutout in front panel designer before sending it to schaeffer for manufacture.

Also be aware that the holes for the led's on jaydee's design are for 3mm, I know that alot of people use 5mm, in fact the led's included in ptownkid's parts kit are 5mm.

I just used a clamp and a hand drill for the rear of the case although this is aluminium so it was pretty easy. You definitely need a stepped drill bit like the one pictured above though.

Cheers

Nick

hi cameron,
BTW welcome to the lab! here are some parts i used for my green pre build:

AC inlet: Qualtek 10A: (digikey#: Q201-ND) uses 5x20mm fuse
Power Transformer: Amveco 15VA/15-0-15 (digikey#: TE62053-ND)
Power cord: any IEC but you could use (digikey#: Q102-ND)
Power switch: like frank (NRG Recording) said (because IIRC he is the one who originally designed the green front panel you're thinking of using :wink: )
another possibility is digikey#: CKN2064-ND)

i use a greenlee punch for the neutrik D-series XLR panel mount connectors.
it is the 15/16" round punch (mouser#: 586-3808). it's about $37.00 and makes life so much easier. i do 4 back plate XLR holes in about 10 minutes - no struggling at all. you'll need to drill a hole for the punch screw to mount through, forgot what size, but the instructions should tell you.

It seems to me the concesus among everyone is getting a drill press.

not me! :green: though i plan on getting a small little dremel one for pcb holes, but i just use a hand drill and a keen eye to make my panel holes.
be sure to tape up the back panel with some blue painter's tape and mark all your positions before starting to drill. center punch your holes then drill away!
cheers,
grant

Back