GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I pulled the IC socket out of the right side output section and replaced it. Now it works and the distortion is gone. Either it was a bad socket or a bad solder joint. Makeup gain works but it doesnt seem to have a lot of effect. When I turn it all the way down I still hear audio passing. Is that normal? I dont remember this being the case on the first one I built.

[quote author="Chrome Heart"] When I turn it all the way down I still hear audio passing. Is that normal? I dont remember this being the case on the first one I built.[/quote]
seems normal to me , when no compressing , it's just a "makeup" gain...
Maybe I missed something , I'm just a noob....

[quote author="Chrome Heart"]You mean run it without the control board?[/quote]
Yes , if I'm correct , it could have "light" you to the fact there was no "distortion" problem with the comp part of the GSSL...

Hey,

I've read almost 90 threads in this topic. Got the GSSL turbo mod soldered last night and have ordered almost all components........lets get it on! :cool:

Hi all ,

I ve got some problems when installing the Turbo card on the Gssl ,
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28113&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

So i m searching some info about the GSSL .

Can someone tell me the correct voltage at 2 point :

1/ TL074 PIN 14 ( This pin vary with Ratio selection )
What are the correct voltage when changing the Ratio ??
Unit with silence at both input.

Personally ive
0,18v ratio 2
0,35v ratio 4
0,38v ratio 10

2/ TLO72 PIN 1 ( This pin vary with threshlod )

I read 3 v to 0 v moving the threshold .
Is this correct value ??

Thanks

I am having a problem with a frying resistor, it's the bottom 10r with the pcb held with the text correctly oriented, next to the 2 large power supply caps. I have checked for shorted traces and cannot find any. I've checked for the regulators correctly installed and for a bad bridge rectifier and supply caps. I'm at a loss. Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas? Thanks.

[quote author="Barbera Media"]it's the bottom 10r with the pcb held with the text correctly oriented, next to the 2 large power supply caps. [/quote]

Something is shorted between the resistor and the 12V regulator (or the 12V regulator is shorted)

Jakob E.

Jakob,
I removed both of the regulators and checked for shorts, and found none. I thoroughly checked for shorts or solder blobs for shorts and found one on the right leg of the removed 68k resistor directly above the that 2812 that was shorted to pin 7 of the that vca on the top vca. I fixed that and checked for other shorts and there aren't any more that I can see. I powered it up again and the same thing is happening.

When this blob was there, the right two pins of the 7815 regulator was shorted, and upon removing the regulator revealed a short on the board, not the regulator. So i fixed that blob and installed another regulator just to be sure that the first one wasn't damaged in the process and I'm still having the exact same problem. This is really blowing my mind. Any ideas?? I'm about to pull out what little hair i have!! Thanks again Jakob, any other suggestions?

I should probably also point out that when I tried powering it up after fixing the short, i removed all chips and vca's and the same thing happens whether the chips are in or out. Don't know if this is important but figured it might help.

Hi Barbara, Gyraf is probably right. I blew the same resistor as a result of a short to ground. Look very closely at your solder points and use a mag if you have to. Its shorted somewhere. Mine was and it took several examinations to find it.

Hello I am a newbie and bought the g-ssl oxford edition, I am honored to be on this great forum. All the posts have been very inspiring to me, i thank you all.

I have a question on hooking up the transformer to the iec.

I don’t know how to put the primary winds of the transformer torid to the iec and then which secondary winds to put to the switch...???
I got the oxford ssl box from tat.

My transformer is from amveco...this is what the site says to do...
“For 115V operation, connect primaries in parallel by connecting yellow and red lead wires together and black and violet leads wires.
To parallel the secondaries, connect green and brown wires and red and blue together. To put the secondaries in series, the red and brown wires are connected together. “
(link: http://www.amveco.com/Miniature_Low_Profile_Transformers_2.htm)

i dont know what primary colored wires i should connect to the one of the 3 connections to the iec...and also to the power switch???

Can anyone help me with any suggestions please?
Here in canada we use 115v operation.

thank you all.

He red primaries should be a thicker gauge wire than secondaries.

Put a Power switch between AC mains hot and XFMR Primary

look at this

http://www.mhennessy2.f9.co.uk/articles/power_supplies.htm
or
http://sound.westhost.com/psu-wiring.htm#1.0

thank you kindly guavatone.

transformers are not simple.

ill read as much up of transformers first and understand it before i connect or solder anything.

thank you very kindly.

Somsay
Canada

It's strange they chose 2 red wires. The red for the secondary may be bundled with the other secondary colors.

hello all here is what i learned so far on how to wire my transformer.
I am not too sure about my secondary connection...what does everything think?

Please let me know.

thank you kindly for reading this in advance.

transformer-hookup.gif

The PWR switch should be between Live IEC and P2. P1 goes to N on IEC.
ie. disconnect N to power switch. Ignore the diagram on the lower left. It is for switching both Live and Neutral.

When you center tap the secondary you will want to run that connection to the Power Supply filter capacitor or 0vu that goes to chassis GND from that point.

thanks allot guavatone.

im reading. i had to do this diagram to learn as i go. im am not going to solder or touch anything for awhile. im still digesting it all. the Transformer explanations say its not simple to even explain.

i really appreciate it guavatone!

thanks

I have a GSSL that measures a tad lower on the left than on the right (less than 1/4 dB). There are no adjustments that I know of. What could be causing this discrepancy, and what can I do to correct it?

Thanks!
Sig

Back