GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trying to understand the schematics of the SSL clone I came across two 10R resistors just before the 79/78L12 voltage reg.'s.
What purpose do they serve? Are this two resistors for a slight voltage drop? I meassured the DC before and after these resistors and got 43v DC before and 43v DC after the resistor so that's no voltage drop (or I have done something wrong obviously, the clone is working though).

Also, I have this 12v meter light that I want to use. Can I just at a resistor in front to make the voltage drop? (I'm tapping the power before the bridge rectefier as described in Jakob's SSL scem.)

I came across two 10R resistors just before the 79/78L12 voltage reg.'s.

I think these provide a bit of current limiting protection.
I fyou look at this:
http://www.recording.org/users/kev/Project2.htm
Scroll down to the PSU bit & they have a similar thing, which Kev has explained a bit.

I'm using myy ssl clone for a few months now . Works smooth etc.
But I still have a slight problem with the threshold setting.
When I feed in Program material, let's say - 8dB out from my convertors,
I can hardly move the threshold pot down CCW before the Compression kicks in immeditaley for a +- 4 dB compression at ratio 2.
Is this normal, or did I overlooked some parts on the PCB ?

hey.

i got my ssl working. compresses, bypass works and even the meter works fine.

one thing though, volume on the other channel is much more quiet. any ideas?

-eero

success! after some rewiring and rewiring again it works. seems like even the power grounding (i did it a little wrong) affected it working at all... i suck at metal work but for my first diy, im pretty satisfied. i had all the problems described here. hanging up, other channel much quieter... all problems cause of the wiring. i pleased to have a working compressor.

the release has to be five positions right?

-eero

[quote author="radiance"]I forgot a little about Kev's site. I should check it more often because it's very usfull.[/quote]

make the most of it because it will go soon
people stopped looking at it so there is no point leaving it up

a fair bit will move to my new place but there is much stuff that just won't

change does happen whether I like it or not ... :sad:

I ordered a couple of B* meters a couple days ago from dbm Pro Audio. I just got a call from them saying they won't have those meters in stock for a couple of months... just wanted to give people here in the states that bit of info.

I'm thinking about using an edgewise meter that can be ordered from Mouser instead.

Andre:

I found the SSL to be very sensitive as standard, and kicking in quickly aswell.
I solved this with adding an extra resistor with the bottom threshold line (the one that goes to the potmeter from the board) i used i think 56k and that limits the threshold range a bit, but it makes it way more usefull (to my opinion atleast)

hope it helps!
Remco

sidechain.gif

Hi,

I found this somewhere (i think it's from steffens site).
Since i am a bit noobish i would like to know to what pins or paths i must connect the to "control amp" and from "input buffer" to on the gyraf ssl PCB. Is it an addition or is it to replace the current sidechain in the gyraf schematic?

If i am not allowed to post this picture i will remove it at once.

Twin,

It's probably an addition, that goes between the two input debalancers and the existing sidechain.

But I'd recommend that you build the Clone as-is, ans then later modify if you're not satisfied with the results..

Jakob E.

@ Gyraf
I am building it for a friend that has no soldering or electronic skills.
He wanted the sidechain no matter what (for the ducking effect?).

I finally got around to using my SSL clone on a mix instead of just in mono, and it turns out one side is about 6 db lower in output than the other. It doesn't seem to be getting 6db more compression, just that the final output is that much lower. I say that because when I kick one side up 6db in Cubase the sides look and sound balanced out.

Any ideas of what might be causing this?

Wireing problems? Broken balancing?

Check that you have output at both + and - outputs (xlr pin2 and pin3)

Other than that - wrong resistor value somewhere?

Jakob E.

For those who have used the Jewell Modutec edgewise meter from Mouser (Part # 541-ME-DMA-001), is there a light kit associated with this meter? I didn't see a reference or anything like that in the Mouser catalog.

Thanks.

Back