GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the Jewell meter too, and looking at how does it mount to the chasis?

I think svart posted somwhere about opening it up and putting a light inside.

Yea, I'm thinking that I could just crack it open and get some LEDs in there.

I'll have to see about mounting when I get it.

ok, here's my lame question:

What guage wire is best for the GSSL and am I correct that it should be stranded? Any favorite brands?

[quote author="tubemonkey35"]I just got the Jewell meter too, and looking at how does it mount to the chasis?.[/quote]

I just got my meter in today. So make the cutout (which really has to be exact since the edge is clear), then slip the brass piece on the backside of the faceplate, and the teeth grip onto the plastic and basically forms a pressure fit. I tested it out the cardboard it came in and it holds snug.

hey just got mine in too, it seems that it would work mounted upside down, to get a right to left reading?

There is clear tape holding it together, but yes, take the tape off, and it slides open so you can hot glue a light inside.

I just need to figure out a way to make a nice scale.

hello to everyvody @ this healp thread

my problem is: i dont get these 15v and 12v

- i use a dagnall 18v trafo (measured output 20v)
- i allready checked the bridge rectifier
- i replaced new 7815 and 7915
- i checked soldering on pcb
- i replaced the 1000u caps
- i measured components during assembling

... but no 15v!!!

what can have i forgotten to check?
where could the problem be?

thanks for your help!

Briz,

Check that you have the right voltage at the 1000uF caps, going into the 7815 regulator. Have you read this thread from the start? IIRC, there are similar problems solved in the past.

Jakob E.

Briz,

Find a data sheet for the 7815, and try understanding what the component does. This will explain all, I think

Google, and you'll find plenty of pages like this:
http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/internal/workshop/datasheet.html

that points to the datasheet:
http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/internal/workshop/store/pdf/7815.pdf

Jakob E.

after reading the specification and measuring the voltages it was clear:
i had to check the pcb again!! and i found one tiny short!!

shame on me! :oops:

the unit has now the 15 and 12 volts!

thanks for your help!!

Just finished my SSL and everything is working but the meter. I'm also using the jewel/modutec meter from Mouser. I've lost the hookup pamphlet that came with it, maybe I'm missing something. I hooked up the - to the - minus on the board and the + with a 2k resistor to board. How did you guys hook it up to the control PCB?

Hello,

I've been looking at this very helpful forum (you guys all rock!) for months berfore making my SSL clone.And today I can announce that I've finished the project but need your help!
Her's the situation:
when I switch on the clone, the meter begins trembling around the same value (Thrsld set arroud/below 0dB), and this happens with or without incoming audio signal.
I've tried to find the problem by changing the voltage regulators, checking components values, shortcuts, if I had the right voltages (I get +14,91V & -14,95V ; +12,15V & -11,87V) but nothing changed...(maybe have I forgotten sthing!)
With audio signal incoming, it goes out, I can adjust the treshold and the makeup gain, but the meter does not moves as if audio modulates it (and I can't ear any compression).
I hope that you can understand my problem (excuse my english...) and try to help me solving it .

In advance thank you for your response,
Best regards,
Alex

[quote author="Hulk"]I'm working on my first SSL - does it matter what direction I turn the IN4148 Silicon Diodes on the PCB??[/quote]

YES, it matters.

Check this diode tutorial....

I just want to one last time warn against the Behringer meters. THEY SUCK!!! My second one went out on me last night!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I could have bought a nice vu for the amount I've spent on these things, and now I need to buy ANOTHER ONE!!!! DAMN!! Well, I think I'm going to have my front panel redone professionally now, and buy a good meter.

That said, I used my SSL comp as drum throw on kick and snare last night, and squashed the ever living pi$$ out of them. It sounded so damn sweet in a rock mix. They were smacky and loud without being harsh. Really really smooth sounding. This guy really makes drums pop in the mix in a really pleasing and utterly satisfying way.

Latest posts

Back