GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was very happy because my GSSL (no mods) was sounds great. Today I finished the super sidechain mod and I follow a wiring diagram and unfortunately the GSSL does not working properly.

I have to check again the wiring that i ve made for the SSC but I don't think i can make it without help...

The errors that i have now are:

1. Power button needs 2-3 times to pressed to start the unit.

2. Compressor button does not affect the signal (no compression)

3. All the other control potentiometers of PCB board does not working at all.

No threshold, ratio, attack,release, makeup gain.

I can live without the Super Sidechain :) but if any friend here can give a hand before i starting to the de-soldering of SSC, it would be great for me.

Tommorow I can provide the diagram that I was follow

Thank you and sorry for my long post.

Potato Cakes said:
Great news that is working as stock.

For issues with the GSSL mods, you need to post this issue on the GSSL add-on page.

Thanks!

Paul

Thanks Paul. OK i know what you mean. But I just need to be sure where to connect the following pads become from SSC to Main PCB. All the other connections are ok. Perhaps with a quick answer from a friend will saves me 10 hours or a day. Thanks

L
R
0V
Ret
+15

iAzK0Uvh14PvIkoU11NH0zSkhlPWR3X3dYu9u2DCq_tcg0Y7XCiRJYP15QAh0moYDcT_q0p1LmEdeJFJvcTctW-N1RDx_r1kxzxS_-LyRdFGvaJTPyBOH_5Og-fgzgbaW4Ogqt0E4bzg5xFW_wf81CcmzcAfVZwq3crTWLdZignyvfX3AUGtSaMeRmVuqWgcH6roONTbdneSqyvPlw2wCbBY7KI4tE85gtpY48eKJKPH7ISwdAu0rO46enEV3T_qi_2KLx3dCF1laDVajVG6gVm3Xt_3P0jbx7OFE9hKCaDFkBOYlElcuDW1vkdMJ0_acl4b28vm3DCxInOm4VyrqPFTwE6XLkv6YzxO6dKHZODb-IFMObsrV4ralXo35YMVUWPVzKIJ0dMBcN-StYrfNSrWMk2BRg33AV4mHZKwPYEv-XqenickkL994jZySfI6GM2vG45RPUnv0CliDHzhJUvKvHNqtwBXMOC9puI2AQjeKoZMyTlOJB0AClCxxyI8KgnnBu_85v9tLhxJg0uuGBVMSJiFBlWQToAjectBXSJq4rurbSAvkYBTd46_Ss3jegGtgz2bSjpGyswnN9eFmqTOwzoK6RHmF62cFHgUALT1aUXih_Qqejo6kYJEmIEYyWseqy2VmTjMgglYc5fjPRCnafzmgVhmsEDDZS3Pfw=w750-h702-no

spreadspell said:
...The errors that i have now are:...
fault fixing is about details.

1. Power button
Looks like an NKK switch from LB-series (could be totally different as well).
The type of illumination within this type switch (if it is illuminated at all) can be an incandelescant bulb (either drawing 60mA/12V or 110mA /5V), can be a probably 115VAC or 230 VAC mains powered neon with 47K or 100K limiting resistor or can be a LED (at whatever colour and efficiency with or without current limiting resistor already built in). Knowing these details is essential to make it work or not blow up the parts interna.
needs 2-3 times to pressed to start the unit.
Might be a latching voltage regulator or a misswired switch illumination or relais (whatever yours might be) when/or powered from the wrong voltage rail. Mouser alone is selling 477 different type of DPDT non latching relais with with a 12V coil, all differing in size, pinout or current consumption, just to name some parameters.

2. Compressor button does not affect the signal (no compression)
All (5) voltage rails operating correctly? Bypass switch hooked up correctly? 'The signal' (at whatever frequency and level) above threshold? On board HPF provision jumpered ? (just some of the usual suspects)

3. All the other control potentiometers of PCB board does not working at all.

No threshold, ratio, attack,release, makeup gain.
probably only a followup from the above ^^^

(The diagram of bypass hookup contains enough errors to make it not operate, IE supply from the 12VDC from control board, LEDs current limited for >=20mA, missing flyback diode)

Potato Cakes said:
Diagram here:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=47.3720

Thanks!

Paul

Hi there!

here's something I wanted to know for a long time but never dared to ask...or well, I did, but never got any answer yet.
The layout linked by Potato Cakes, that one with the bypass relay connections, is the very same I followed for my two builds.
Actually I found this a long time ago on a different forum, since it was posted as the final layout for That 2180 projects.

All the mods showed there correspond to the last revised schematics and well known 2180 mods, but  different resistors/caps are used in the input/output section .. basically,

for input : 100uf instead of 22uf
for output: 22pf instead of 100pf, 100k instead of 47k, 33R instead of 100R

Can anyone spread some light on this? What these mods do, if they are preferable or not, and why?
I attach a comparative picture for easy reference... thank you!

Attachments

• gssl-mods_layouts.jpg
    gssl-mods_layouts.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 43
Anyone,
15v secondary's or 18 v ? I have a Xformer with 18V secondary's is there anything special I need to do to use it. I see the PCB say's either or?

Thanks

Moved from an old thread:
I'm looking for detented pots with more than 11 detents. Mouser doesn't have 50k and I couldn't find none on musikding.de. Any tips?
Also, regarding the treshold: would it make sense to use a center detented pot? I mean is 0dB on the front panel really 0dBu?
Thanks!

Hello I am having the same exact issue but I am not modding any thing.

My right side is compressing and  Gain make up works But  the left side is staying at unity.

Did you find out what was causing this?
I have swapped all ic and still the same result.

Thanks

Sadly i am about to give up on my build  :(
Triple checked all voltages and went over the wiring a dozen times
What would be a the best way to ' start over'? I really don't want to throw everything in the trash

Have finished and up running my first unit.  ;D

Everything works except one damaged vca.  ???
My board is a rev11 and all components (kit from Gustav) soldered like on silkscreen without any mods.

I´m a bit confused about the vca´s.
The kit includes the 2180. Since rev9 the vca´s changed to the 2181.
From older posts on this thread i read about this changes.
All component values on the silkscreen are for the newer 2181 version.
That means i can´t use the older 2180 without change some resistor values, right?

The operating level of this unit is -10dBV right?

Thank you

Bradovic said:
Sadly i am about to give up on my build  :(
Triple checked all voltages and went over the wiring a dozen times
What would be a the best way to ' start over'? I really don't want to throw everything in the trash

Hi,

sounds sad.
What´s happen with your build? No sound, no compression? 

Tommy T said:
Anyone,
15v secondary's or 18 v ? I have a Xformer with 18V secondary's is there anything special I need to do to use it. I see the PCB say's either or?

Thanks

This unit has two voltage rails. 15V and 12V.
Yes, you can also use an 18V toroidal transformer, it depends on your voltage regulators.
The basic 7915, 7815 and 7812 runs up to 30VDC.

ToBSn said:
I´m a bit confused about the vca´s.
The kit includes the 2180. Since rev9 the vca´s changed to the 2181.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn137.pdf

The standard part in GSSL is the 2180 - 2181 is just a manual-trimmed selected 2180, otherwise they behave the same. So you are fine with 2180.

btw: Thanks for helping out here..!

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn137.pdf

The standard part in GSSL is the 2180 - 2181 is just a manual-trimmed selected 2180, otherwise they behave the same. So you are fine with 2180.
Thanks, Jakob.
That means i can use both versions without any changes? I have a second unpopulated pcb here and i will start order all the parts next time.

gyraf said:
btw: Thanks for helping out here..!
Just some basic knowledge ;)

Latest posts

Back