GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, had a few years lay off from building gear (long story) and have all my projects and components back in one place.
My gssl is nearing completion and just need a quick confirmation reg the hairball meter. Are the inner connectors for the meter and the outer(spade) connectors for the leds? Also, if running the LEDs off the rails, what resistor would be needed? Was thinking about 330r ?
Thanks guys :)

gyraf said:
..Welcome back!

Your question would probably be better directed at Hairball/Help - they would be the guys with this specific knowledge.

Jakob E.

Thank you Jakob.

Yes, prob a good idea :)

Hi folks,

The rear panel I ordered came punched for what appear to be Neutrik "A" style xlr jacks, and came with 4 of the jacks.

These jacks have pcb pins instead of solder cups or solder lugs, which I did not realize when I ordered them.
http://www.neutrik.com/en/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors/a-series/

Is it ok to just twist my wire around the pins on the jacks and then solder them together directly?  This might be a dumb question but I wanted to ask.

thanks!

Hey everyone,

I just build my first GSSL clone using the main PCB kit from PCB grinder. Besides that I have the CRC board installed from expat audio and intend to add the turbo board once I have the basic kit fully and properly functional.

I've read nearly everything in this thread but I'm stuck with one small (i hope) problem that I haven't come across in this topic yet. Everything the GSSL does is working perfectly apart from the auto release setting. When switched to auto release I get a fairly intense distortion in the signal. What would be suspect of introducing this problem? I was guessing it had to be related to something actually setting the values for this specific mode, perhaps a film/tantalum cap that controls this specific function as all the other release modes work as intended.

Anyone has a more educated guess that could help me look for the problem? :)

-FIXED-

Having read that someone encountered a similar problem before and it was caused due to wrong lorlin programming I had already checked the programming on mine which was set to the correct stop. Interestingly enough, unscrewing the thing again and resetting the stop fixed the problem. Not sure how but guess it's just a bit of a funky Lorlin. All functioning now! :)

ChrisPbass said:
Hi all, had a few years lay off from building gear (long story) and have all my projects and components back in one place.
My gssl is nearing completion and just need a quick confirmation reg the hairball meter. Are the inner connectors for the meter and the outer(spade) connectors for the leds? Also, if running the LEDs off the rails, what resistor would be needed? Was thinking about 330r ?
Thanks guys :)

Just to say that outer terminals are the meter, inner are for LED's if anyone else is unsure :)

Hey guys, I finally finished my GSSL with Turbo, Cavendish and two sidechain boards. A LOT of work but great compressor!  :D

Now I'm thinking if I should care about lowering the hum level.
The first screenshot shows just the hum with no input signal. 50Hz and overtones stay constant (even though it fluctuates a bit) and 100Hz and it's overtones vary with makeup gain (here make up is 0).
The second one shows the output with a 0dBu sine input for comparison.

I guess I could lower 100Hz with offboard rectification, but just in general, are you getting comparable hum lever with your GSSL?

gssl_hum1.jpg

gssl_sine1.jpg

gyraf said:
Try to measure with shorted inputs...

Jakob E.

I always measured with the DA converter connected to the input. But I just tried with inputs shorted and there is no difference...

Ok, so the lid is closed and my GSSL is ready for action!  ;D

I was able to reduce the 50Hz hum by rotating the power transformer and 100Hz and it's harmonics with moving the rectification off the main PCB.
Here is a before and after measurement of the left channel (the right channel has just slightly worse specs):

gssl_hum1a.jpg

gssl_hum_crc1a.jpg

And here are some pics of my finished GSSL:

DSC05510_1024x684.JPG

DSC05506_1024x684.JPG

DSC05511_1024x684.JPG

I have searched the thread but can't seem to find a definitive answer with regard to using a THAT 2180 on the turbo board. I have seen where some leave R16 in and some take it out. To me, it makes sense to take it out because of its function. Also, does R18 stay at 3k9?

Chrome Heart said:
I have searched the thread but can't seem to find a definitive answer with regard to using a THAT 2180 on the turbo board. I have seen where some leave R16 in and some take it out. To me, it makes sense to take it out because of its function. Also, does R18 stay at 3k9?

Duplicat the set-out for the SC VCA on the main board.

Gustav

Hello DIY Family,

I built Gssl and it works well. Then I installed  "Turbo Mod" and there is some issue.
Maybe you can tell me why is that hapening and where problem might be, cause I've rechecked Turbo board several times and all seems to be good.

Problem: When I insert turbo board, meter jumps up and starts sparking.
I found out that if I leave turbo board plugged without S/C  C.V connection (It's soldered to the 100 resistor on the main board) then there is no sparking on the meter. Probably i have to mention that Threshold is fully Counterclockwise and it happens only when ratio is set 1:10

I filmed a short video about what happens so you could see what i mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83tn4pSWLE

Allrighty guys, found the problem.

If somebody will have the same problem. What helped me was:
I noticed that if I move Ratio connection some times meter act normally, so there was a bad connection. I resoldered those 4 wires and now compressor seems to act well.

Hey Guys .

Just built the basic Gssl Kit right off Pcbgrinder and at least I thought i did well on the built, yet this assumption was shattered when i tried it out sadly.  Loved the built though.

I am fairly new to electronics and DIY stuff (so far i only built a mic and some pedals, which are all working by the way), so I am usually not very good at troobleshooting.

I cant get any sound out of the left channel and no compression seems to be happening and there is low audible noise. all the knobs are basically doing nothing. meter is working though
I don't know if this helps but in the schematic it needs a 1M8 Ohm resistor at the ratio knob but the kit contained a 2M ohm resistor. Also there was a diode left over in the kit. I guess this is fine, isnt it?

Maybe i messed up the wiring. I wasnt able to figure it out quite well, because i couldnt clearly see it in the assemble guide.

I put all the pictures into a dropbox folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icjqj81nknmbdsg/AADRf5RrVycxdz7rJFvM8rWWa?dl=0

Please help me out
Thanks, Clemens

Clexxx said:
Hey Guys .

Just built the basic Gssl Kit right off Pcbgrinder and at least I thought i did well on the built, yet this assumption was shattered when i tried it out sadly.  Loved the built though.

I am fairly new to electronics and DIY stuff (so far i only built a mic and some pedals, which are all working by the way), so I am usually not very good at troobleshooting.

I cant get any sound out of the left channel and no compression seems to be happening and there is low audible noise. all the knobs are basically doing nothing. meter is working though
I don't know if this helps but in the schematic it needs a 1M8 Ohm resistor at the ratio knob but the kit contained a 2M ohm resistor. Also there was a diode left over in the kit. I guess this is fine, isnt it?

Maybe i messed up the wiring. I wasnt able to figure it out quite well, because i couldnt clearly see it in the assemble guide.

Please help me out
Thanks, Clemens

Carefully check the boards for solder bridges. Things are tight on that PCB, and it's a pretty common problem. You may already do this but one word of advice, always check component values (especially resistors) with a meter before installing them into the board.

Clexxx said:
Hey Guys .

Please help me out
Thanks, Clemens

First off.

Did your board have a bridge drawn on with a marker? It kinda looks like you may have erased it!?

If so, you should connect that bridge. Its an omission on the latest round of boards.

Gustav

Gustav said:
First off.

Did your board have a bridge drawn on with a marker? It kinda looks like you may have erased it!?

If so, you should connect that bridge. Its an omission on the latest round of boards.

Gustav

No didnt see it, where would that be?

Latest posts

Back