GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also about to build my first gSSL. In need a thorough guide, if anybody has one?
I bought a kit from pcbgrinder but the included guide is like an Ikea guide, it's with pictures only.
I can't get any more information out of Gustav.

Can somebody help?

ps. i'm gonna build it with turbo board and CRC board and with (hopefully) 110V & 220V trafo.
I bought rest of the kit (case, knobs etc) from Don Audio.

If you know what the pdf was named, you could probably use the wayback archive to dig it up?

..I've never seen a all-in-one build doc for this project (I don't expect it to need one?)

/Jakob E.

I didn't think there were an official one. But I thought maybe someone has made one, after all these years.
But it's okay, i'll try to follow the Ikea picture and see what happens :) Thanks Jakob

But I thought maybe someone has made one, after all these years.
Well, .pcbgrinder made one for their stock version kit and that guide was pretty good. You have it, so .. But if you want to make a new one and share... this is diy, after all.

For anything not vanilla gssl, search function is your friend.

You can look at this and it may help. I made it to keep track of my own unit as it was getting complicated. Good Luck.

Attachments

• DipTrace GSSL Wiring 2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I just bought 2 gold cans, the seller couldn't test 'em so we don't know if they're working or not.
So I got them a lil cheaper.

Is there a way for me to test them, before putting it in my gSSL?
all I have is my DMM and audio unit... don't know if that's possible, but please share

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to Jakob and everybody involved for this beautiful project.

It made me pull my hair quite a few times, but I've learned so much doing it.

I finally finished my first GSSL, and am currently troubleshooting it.

The compression works, but it sounds quite strange.

Most noticeably, when compressing with 10:1 ratio, there is a "whine" happening during compression, like a noisy kick drum pedal if you know what I mean.

Also it tends to saturate quite easily.

Otherwise, the metrics are correct, I get the relatively right amount of reduction for each ratios, left and right are balanced, bypass works fine, no noise or hum at all, ...

I checked components values and possible shorts, but can't seem to find a problem there.

I have a Turbo board installed, and duplicated the main board's components for my 2180CL THAT. I left R16 47Ohm out and changed 3K9 for 5K1.

Here are some measurements I made without any input :

TL074

Main board :

1 -125mV DC (Is this normal ? I thought it should be 0V with no input)
7 1.6mV DC
8 0V DC
14 2:1 = 215mV 4:1 = 351mV 10:1 = 386mV

Turbo board :
1 63mV DC (Same question as main board ??)
7 0mV DC
8 DC variation with threshold pot.
14 2:1 = 209mV 4:1 = 354mV 10:1 = 391mV

Sidechain THATs 2180CL

Main board :

5 -2.84V DC

Turbo board :
5 -2.9V DC

Power Rails and all ICs :
15.05V DC
-15.14V DC

11.8V DC
-11.95V DC

I also checked for continuity on all the Lorlins, which are fine.

I made the mistake to power the compressor on without having the HPF and PCB Silk jumpers in, could it have damaged the ICs ?

I think my next step would be to change the ICs, but maybe someone can point me in another direction, I'm a noob at troubleshooting...

Thanks for reading.

Dom

Real help needed. I'm not an electrician, so I need it explained as I'm a 5yr old.
I just follow instructions - I'm like "solder this here" kinda builder.
My knowledge/experience: I can build any device from Hairball Audio · Mic&Mod · TheDonClassics flawlessly, with one eye closed [because they have an idiot-proof guide] ;)

I have a CRC board and Turbo from Expat Audio.
I want to add a voltage switch (115-230V) to my gSSL so I can use it globally.

This is what I need help with:
  1. Trafo: solder which wire to each other (primary / secondary ?!) by color.
  2. and how to wire the trafo to Voltage switch -what to wire to what (it has 6 pins).
  3. From there, what to wire to IEC ON/OFF switch.
  4. what to wire to CRC board?
I have no idea what primary & secondary is, or any other lingo used here.. schematics are gibberish to me.
So please be kind :)

A drawing with a small explanation would be great from y'all.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK/V80212SS05Q?qs=XK7TQRbusgX5Aqa6nOtnfw==https://www.don-audio.com/IEC-iec-power-jack-chassis-mount-with-10a-fuse-holder-switch-DFS-Cliphttps://www.don-audio.com/GSSL-Audio-Toroidal-Transformer-Prim-2-x-115-Sec-2-x-15v-Center-tap

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 0
  • powerBack.jpg
    powerBack.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SwitchBack.jpg
    SwitchBack.jpg