GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys,

I am still having the problem of a inbalance in the level output from my GSSL. I have checked and double checked resistor values etc, all seems correct. The difference between left and right is about 7db!!! :shock:

What could be causes of this, and where can I start to look ? thanks.

[quote author="caps"]Guys,

I am still having the problem of a inbalance in the level output from my GSSL. I have checked and double checked resistor values etc, all seems correct. The difference between left and right is about 7db!!! :shock:

What could be causes of this, and where can I start to look ? thanks.[/quote]

actually, its 8.5 db!! :shock: :shock:

Got my GSSL working yesterday, left channel works a treat, no problem.
The other channel sounds like it has a phase effect on it and is almost feeding back at higher make up gain settings.

Any ideas guys?

this is my version of the gssl , finally managed to take a picture:

67FF55A053AF11DA8DBF2454D506CF2F.jpg

6A8193B053AF11DAB770D0FFD506CF2F.jpg

it was my first diy project ever and i'm still thrilled about the sound.
it's just fantastic how this thing handles transients and adds punch .
i have no problem with the treshold-range or past-infinity-compression at all, it starts working at 9 am and shines at 1 pm ,using 2180LB's too.

Added the thrust filter on one of the gssl's and do like it a lot ,especially on the 2bus :twisted:

What i have learned so far:
1. diy is fun
2. metal work is not
3. patience
4. waiting on parts sucks
5. wiring lorlins and pushbutton switches is quite challenging for somebody with zero knowledge
6. those sifam meters are expensive
7. diy is fun

thanks a lot to gyraf , gustav and everyone on this forum and a BIG BIG thanks to jensenmann
who did spread the diy-virus on me and really helped me with this project ,i appreciate it a lot.

drumtan

ppm 14, still with the 1-7 bbc-scale , i didn't bother to change the
scale yet cause i think it's just fine as it is.
Silentarts , thank you for the nice "thrust"mod :grin:

drumtan

[quote author="RogerFoote"][quote author="caps"]The voltage regs get very hot. Any one heatsink them ?[/quote]

No. Mine are cool... What secondary voltage do you have on your power transformer?[/quote]

Cool hey? hmmmm..

15V secondaries here...

you'd rarely need heatsinking on the GSSL regulators. yes, they get a bit hot, but I never had them shut down on me.

But don't load the powersupply with current to a meter light - take that before regulation (or best: directly on AC from transformer secondary)

Jakob E.

What is it with the last letters N, A, AP after the opamps NE5532 and NE5534. Does it mean anything in the projekt?

Best regards
Soeren

Yes Sören,
the 'A' types are selected NE5532/5534 with garanteed specs. Much preferred in the audio path.
I think AN have even better specs but don't nail me on this... AP? don't know, anyone?

drumtan,
AWESOME design :guinness: :thumb:
(are you german :grin: ?)

caps,
try changing opamps in the audiopath (test by simply changing from one channel to the other, does the imbalance move?)...i got a similar problem in my alesis comp. is the signal on the low level channel clean or distorted in any way?

Kind regards

Martin

i've been told that AN and AP are identical except for the manufacturer
i guess P comes from phillips , don't know where the N stands for.

martin alter namensvetter, ja :razz: münsterland

drumtan

nice to meet another münsterländer !
what a small world we're livin in.
yes , monsterland is the place of the living undead :wink:

drumtan

Okay... So the letters dont mean anything... This time i ordered some parts i got some opamps with the letter N behind so I thought it mayby would be wrong...

thanks.

Best regards
Soeren

I have a quick question about the power transformer. I have the Amveco Magnetics torid from Digikey. I saw what greg posted earlier, but it doesn't make sense. I have tied Purp and Black together, Red and Yellow, Red and Brown together. He said to tie red/brown to the middle of the three, which is ground, which doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't the middle pin of the IEC be running straight to ground? And I'm still a little confused about where all of it goes. Any help would be great, thank you.

We've been over this many times..

I don't know that particular transformer, but somewhere around here thare's a general description of how to figure out transformer wireing (NY-Dave?)

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back