GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was on the left - input trace (obviously the channel not passing audio) between 22k and the 5534. it looked just fine, even under a microscope. but somehow the solder pulled up and broke the trace right under the 5534 point. i tossed a jumper on it and the whole unit sprang to life.
then high fives and beer all around!
good luck and i hope this will help someone at some point.

I don't know exactly. About half the volume. How could I tell? I do know that the meter jumps the same way on both inputs, so perhaps it is something wrong with the right output?

Also, the threshold knob does not affect the signal in any way.

Adam
:sam:

double check wiring at the header of the board, input and output, and at the input and output connectors. could very well be a short to ground around that area. when there are shorts around that area, 'one side about half as loud' is a pretty common symptom.

just wondering how i connect the makeup and threshhold pots as there is no markings for + or - on them ?

also does it matter which way round you solder the switches onto the controll board cause they can go in 2 different ways also the ratio can go in 4 ways ?

Erm yea, while im here which type of fuse should i get for my IEC power inlet.

Hi JAYJAYBEE,

http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.pdf

The makeup and threshhold pot info is on the second page.
The switches will work either way, and the Ratio any of the 4 ways.
The fuse info is on the first page (315mAT)

I am trying to figure out why my Threshold knob is not working. It might be a bad pot, or something else. Does the threshold pass negative voltage? I am reading approx. -12v on the first leg, 0 to -12v on the middle leg as I turn the knob. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Adam
:sam:

Yes. As long as the middle pin varies from 0-12V it's fine. Then you should also see a corresponding voltage change on the output of the follower op-amp: TL072 pin 1. (If you're getting 0-to-minus 12V, then you don't have the 47K resistor... it's cool, but if you find the threshold is too sensitive later -when it DOES work!- then remember to stick the 47k in series with the pot, as shown in the schematic and in the wiring diagram... often overlooked!) The output of the op-amp should vary by about ¼ that amount... and in the other direction, so from 0 to +3Volts at pin 1. If you add the 47k resistor this becomes 0 to +1.5V, or that's how I read the schematic.

Keith

Couple silly questions:

Since the IN4148 diodes are glass, and light sensitive, will my bright meter light and pilot lights (making lots of light inside the box) cause problems?

With all the light inside my box, would it be better to use non-glass diodes?

As I've been troubleshooting this pcb, it has been sitting in the direct sunlight under my window for weeks and months. I didn't know this was bad for PCBs. Is that causing damage to the pcb?

Since the IN4148 diodes are glass, and light sensitive, will my bright meter light and pilot lights (making lots of light inside the box) cause problems?

Nope. The variation is in the uV range. Only a problem at very-very high gain circuits, like AC-milivoltmeters.

Jakob E.

There are also 1N4148 in non glass versions available, i found some in my big 'all kind of diodes'-box (thought about this case lighting, too...), but i am not sure if they really are 1N4148 or just some other small sig diodes re-marke(te)d.....
But as said this doesn't matter here...thanks gyraf for your detailed information. :thumb:

Kind regards,

Martin

OK folks, my first DIY build is nearly finished, ( might throw some sort of christening party or take it to my local parish ).

Theres just some things i would like to clarify in regards to the wiring, before i switch my baby on. Here goes.

On my bypass switch i have wired up the A and C terminals but im confused when it says in gyraffs layout...ON and OFF go to c1 and c2 and another goes to R2, my switch has the A,B,C,D in the centre but is just labelled 1-12 on the outside. can someone please clarify this for me.

Also i need help with wiring the grounds. Ive twisted the two wires labelled 0v from my power trafo together and sent these to the middle pin on the external ac in connector, YES ?

The 0v from the input connector has been soldered to pin 1 of my RIGHT xlr...do i then take a wire from the same pin and connect it to pin 1 of my LEFT xlr ? And the same obviously to the output section.

And one last question before i power up, there is a ground, i presume 0v on my IEC fuse thingy, what do i connect to that ?

I know this may be a bore to answer but if you could help me out ild be grateful :thumb:

[quote author="JAYJAYBEE"]Also i need help with wiring the grounds. Ive twisted the two wires labelled 0v from my power trafo together and sent these to the middle pin on the external ac in connector, YES ?[/quote]
Yes.

Say 'Hi' to Derek Dougan for me... :wink:

Keef

i want to make two different outputs on my ssl clone:

one symetrical (this is of course already there) for recording...
one unsymetrical, which i can use for connecting my nad hifi amplifier...

i want to use the outputs parallel at the same time

which would be an easy and cheap way to do it?

Hi, I'm new in the diy-business, and have to start with a stupid question...sorry! I repair and service German module stuff like the V276 or Telefunken V3XX modules, but never build something from the beginning. So I have the GSSL pcb from Gustav and wonder where I have to solder the transformer outpults (18/18 or 15/15 Volt). There are two ways on the pcb, there is written"Mount these only i external transformer". Do I have to solder it there? Or to the "2*15 or 2*18 Volt 4.5VA" ? Thanks and sorry!!
Peter

Hi all...

One my latest clone, I have the classic problem...one channel way down in volume..

Now I read every single page in this thread,a two day effort that one!

I have triple checked for shorts all over the board, I have checked orientation of electros.....

I have swapped IC's in the in/out sections...with each other , then for new ones...

I have tried different VCA's, though I dont think the problem lies here as one side works fine.

I have checked, and checked again resistor values...

All voltages as described in this thread earlier check out ok..

Checked and checked again my wiring from the board to the XLR's.

So, I am at a complete loss, anything I FORGOT to check? :shock:

Back