GSSL Turbo board complete!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

When the signal comes back into the GSSL main board from the turbo, is that resistor lifted and connected to the wire coming in, (like when it leaves from the 47K resistor) or does it keep both legs in the board, with an additional wire connected to one side?

Oops,

Actually, I meant the S/C CV connection. You don't lift either leg of that resistor for the connection right?

I have the GSSL PCBs but I haven't stuffed them yet.  If I do the Turbo board - do I still need to do the hipass side chain or does the turbo have a bit of a hipass filter built into it? 

Can someone let me know?  Thanks.

CC

I have the GSSL PCBs but I haven't stuffed them yet.  If I do the Turbo board - do I still need to do the hipass side chain or does the turbo have a bit of a hipass filter built into it?
Can someone let me know?  Thanks.

i'm not expert but the turbo don't have hipass filter.
check this for more info about SC+highpass

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=12024&highlight=sidechain+highpass
And
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16113

Now i'm finish my comp with the sc filter, it's still to add the turbo.
i have question about the 2180LB.
i've use two 2150 in my Gssl, i'm not sure if i must replace the 2180 of the trubo board by a 2150?

Someone can help about this point?
Thx
Cyril

From what i understand the Turbo is a switch between Oxford mode and GSSL mode....if you want to imply the Turbo you have to build 2 separate HPF boards. One for the left channel the other for the right channel. Normally if you imply the HPF it works on both channels, L and R. With Turbo you have to separate L and R.
The advantage of the HPF is that you will have external SC on your GSSL, send and return.

But you can imply both HPF and Turbo, although it will need some changing in the input and outputs.

On this link you find an excellent PDF on how to imply the Turbo if you have the HPF SC.

http://www.expataudio.com/diy/Turbo/TurboInstallationManual.pdf

btw Expat is out of stock but here

http://diypartssupply.com/

they sell the whole kit to.

Succes!!

thx DenDer for reply.
i will add the turbo kit on my clone
but i still not sure about the mix of the 2150 and 2180

Hi there! I was going to purchse PCB's from expataudio, but i've had a question concerning the order processing and i've posted a message on there forum but still no answer???
My question was if it was possible to have the billing and delivery adress different? Can't do it on their wabsite, and paypal has the adress i don't want to use, don't know if i can change that and have a credit card number on the old one?
If somebody can give me the mail of the person in charge of expataudio that would be great, i couldn't find them... Thanks a lot

billing and shipping address difference shouldn't be a problem -- just make sure to make a big fuss of it in the "add comments to order" window that pops up :)

Ideally - I prefer paypall shipping address to match the website shipping address. That makes it significantly simpler to do shipping.

/R

I spent the last couple evenings installing and testing the Turbo in my GSSL (no sidechain filtering). The behaivor with the Turbo mod is significantly different, as shown in Keith's (I think) YouTube video. I put it on a drum kit and for the first time, side information (i.e. toms) were triggering the compressor. Prior, due to the summing sidechain, the Oxford only GSSL triggered solely on center information (kick & snare). I tested it with tones as well to make sure it was working properly.

Thanks Keith and Expat !!!

Yep...

Dass mee in the video!

-I keep meaning to 'Re-make' the video, because the unit which I installed it on wasn't up to my usual tidy standards... also I didn't have a 'script', and kept 'stumbling' due to me making it up as I went along!  ;D

One day I will...

Glad you like it.

Keith

So thats why Toms and some cymbals dont get the benefits of compression as i'd like.
Definately next GSSL has to got the turbo mod..
;)

Hi Keith,

Long time . . . .

I have searched, so please forgive me if I have missed something obvious . . . I have some quite old G-SSL's, with dbx2001's and 2150's in the sidechain. Will the turbo work as is(with another 215x in place of 218x), or will it need some modification?

Fank Ooo!

ANdyP

Yep. only the SLIGHT noise distortion difference IF it were to be used in a signal path... but since it's a sidechain, there's no problem whatsoever.

I've tried them all: 2150, 2151, 2150A, 2180, 2181... All good!

Keith

just implemented the turbo-board into my ssl and the difference is huge! much more transparent! very cool stuff.

thanks!

corneel

Back