GSSL with VCAs using 8 x 2181

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith, you can count me in for a couple .... of course !
( GSSL Just done and sounding great BTW and neater wiring this time )

Marty.

( underground overground wombling free .... )

:grin:

When building it like Keith's first build you need 1 turbo board right? (...that is with 2 vca's per channel canceling eachothers distortion...)

EDIT: or maybe I don't need the turbo board at all since I'm already using two GSSL boards + control boards...hm.. :? I like turbo...

Expected delivery of the boards is the 26th, then a few will be shipped to Keith to play with and confirm the performance, although he's very confident of the design.

We will put a notice in the black market when the expat audio shop will have the parts loaded.

Until then, please register at the store for update emails on what's available.

http://www.expataudio.com/expatshop

/Rochey

can someone explain the use of 8 VCA's as in the original post? i have th e GSSL schem here and it only calls for 2 dbx 202s. Is this for all of the sidechaining shenanigans? Trying to source parts for 1 GSSL and 1 Turbo so i need a count as i scour for 202s.

thanks

buschfsu:

You are correct about needing only 2 dbx modules, but the problem was, how to get the the same sound (as close as possible to original console version) if you can't obtain the original dbx202.
So the best way I could have done this, is by making a module that uses 8 THAT chips (each chip is a VCA).
The result was excellent.

[quote author="renx"]buschfsu:

You are correct about needing only 2 dbx modules, but the problem was, how to get the the same sound (as close as possible to original console version) if you can't obtain the original dbx202.
So the best way I could have done this, is by making a module that uses 8 THAT chips (each chip is a VCA).
The result was excellent.[/quote]

wow thats interesting. so do you run them in series or parallel. id like to do this if you could provide some direction on making the module.

Boards have arrived in Dallas, some will be shipped to Florida for testing today.

Here's a photograph.

Turbo-distort.jpg

Once confirmed to be functional, boards will be available from www.expataudio.com/expatshop

Thanks again

/Rochey

[quote author="Nishmaster"]Rochey,

Is that the final silkscreen?

Also, it looks like you may have had some water or a smudge on your lens. :wink:[/quote]

Yes, that's the final product --- took the pcb and scanned it.

Not a huge deal, but some of the component labels are printed over and therefore obscured, D2 (I think?) for example. Also, R16-R19 are somewhat hard to tell which one is which, although I'm assuming that R19 is the topmost resistor among that group.

Are C1 & C5 both 100p?

I don't at all mean to sound unappreciative. I only bring these things up as I imagine somebody else will be doing so while building in the future. This looks like an excellent addition to the GSSL project, one that will probably push me to doing a couple. Can't wait to get a few boards!

Actually the component designations were sequentially inserted by the PCB design software, so I wasnt really paying attention to them... the VALUES are all clear as day, so it should be impossible to wrongly insert a component.

Yes C1 and C5 are both 100p.

-This was my first ever layout attempt in Eagle by the way, so I'm not used to it yet, and haven't figured out how to move component designations, otherwise all of this would have been tidies, but I did look at it and conclude that it sould be impossible to put the wrong resistor in the wrong hole, based on the fact that their values are absolutely unambiguous.

please notice that the connections are neatly arranged along one edge, and that there are ten of them. When it's tested, I'll be posting a BOM, a connection list for the ten wires, some photos and some video of how it differs in the two modes, together with an in-shot comparison of an actual SSL console bus compressor, for direct side-by-side comparison.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]...video of how it differs in the two modes, together with an in-shot comparison of an actual SSL console bus compressor, for direct side-by-side comparison...[/quote]

You sir, are a steely-eyed missile man. :cool:

[quote author="Steve Jones"]Has this fallen off the edge of the world? :idea:[/quote]

Not at all, Keef is just checking through the board and getting the build info
and video together ....... it's coming :)

MM.

Back