Gus' MXL 603s mod - Pictures/Part numbers -thanks Flatpicker

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this thread seems mostly dead... but we'll try it here anyways.

Has anyone done blind listening tests on this mod?  A lot of people are saying they sound better, but it's pretty well known that putting effort into something will make you value it more, even if it's not any better (e.g. identical wine with a higher price tag will seem to taste better, frat pledges who go through a harder initiation like their frat better than those who go through a weaker initiation even if it's the same frat, etc.)  I want to mod my 990 and my two 603S's, and I probably will either way just for the heck of it, but I'm wondering how much of a difference there really is.

I'm not looking for "Yeah, I modded mine and listened to it back to back, and I could totally hear a difference."  I'm looking for "I recorded a pre-mod and post-mod file, gave them to ten different sound engineers, and nine of them said the modded mic file sounded better" or something like that.  On one of the other threads here there was something about stock 990's used with a modded ART and a non-modded ART, with sound files posted... and most people picked the non-modded as sounding better (though that may have been other issues apparently).

Like I said, I'm probably going to do the mod either way, for the experience (it'll be my first mod other than taking the inner grills out of my 990) and because it'll be fun and something I can brag about... I'm just curious how much the difference actually is.

I'll probably post some pictures when I do the mods... waiting for the caps now. (I ordered some before and got the wrong part... they were gigantic.  Which sucks because they cost five times as much as the ones I actually needed.)  But for now here's some pictures of the 990 grill: Album.  The outer grill alone seems pretty sturdy to me.  I pulled off a little bit on the top of the outer grill (it only separated less than 1/16" from where it was supposed to be) when pulling out the inner two, but a little pushing back in made it unnoticeable.

I did some mods to a CAD mic that is identical to the 603 I believe.

the difference was night and day. the non-modded lacks a clear high end. the modded (I also did physical modification) one was more true to the source. we recorded flutes and acoustic guitar.

judging which one is better, well... i guess you can get usable material of both mics, modded or not.

EEMO1, When you were listening for the difference, did you know which one was modded and which one wasn't?  Because that alone would be enough to make you think you heard a difference even if there wasn't one.  It's just like the way someone who drinks a wine that has a higher price tag on the bottle will tell you all about how the flavors are richer and more complex, even if the wine in the bottle with a lower price tag is identical.  Your brain tricks you into thinking they're different.  It's not a conscious thing that you can avoid just by knowing about it and trying to not be biased.  The only way to really tell is if you actually do a blind test - which is easiest if you let someone else do it, since they won't have any idea which one is modded and which isn't.

I don't have any good monitors around my place right now, so I don't know that I'm the best choice to do a listening test (I don't know if I have that great of an ear anyways), but perhaps someone else would be willing to listen to some sound files if you can post one un-modded and one modded.

Like I said, I'll probably do the mod either way for fun/experience, but I'm not really not expecting a difference at this point.

Addendum:
I realized that I probably sound a little negative in these few posts.  I do love these forums and all of the resources that I've found in them!  I'm really excited to try out this mod, even if I don't expect a huge difference.  I'm also very grateful to all the people who have come up with these mods, and put in the work behind them.  I'm a computer programmer and I've taken a few circuit classes, but I've forgotten most of it, so having someone who can come up with the schematics is nice - I can usually figure out what they changed and have some idea why, but I'd probably never be able to come up with it on my own.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't come off as that guy who jumps in and criticizes everyone else.  I hope to contribute soon here in the future by posting pictures of the mods to my 990 and 603S, and hopefully get some sound files to post (though currently my only recording device is a DMP3 running unbalanced into a Digitech Jamman looper pedal, which records 24-bit at 44.1kHz sampling).

stitch-o said:
anyone know where I can get some more of those little screws that hold the micbody in place?
The 3 little suckers that are right around the bottom...

if you know the length and thread pattern i bet you can find them at:
www.smallparts.com

NQbass7 said:
EEMO1, When you were listening for the difference, did you know which one was modded and which one wasn't?  Because that alone would be enough to make you think you heard a difference even if there wasn't one.  It's just like the way someone who drinks a wine that has a higher price tag on the bottle will tell you all about how the flavors are richer and more complex, even if the wine in the bottle with a lower price tag is identical.  Your brain tricks you into thinking they're different.  It's not a conscious thing that you can avoid just by knowing about it and trying to not be biased.  The only way to really tell is if you actually do a blind test - which is easiest if you let someone else do it, since they won't have any idea which one is modded and which isn't.

yes, im aware of that. the difference was obvious. which one is better, depends on the person me thinks. the friend of mine who asked me to modify them is more than happy with his mics and he gets good results with them. im satisfied with that.

he listened to the clips blind.

Hi All,
        Not really on topic but,....

I thought I would share some stuff I found/figured out over the last few weeks:

1.)    MXL 603s have 3-- thats right THREE different bodys !!!  ( Dont worry....all the threads are the same)

One is the original body style with the three tiny little screws that secure the body tube to the connector base
              I found a second style - the " MXL 603 Mogami " - and the Body tube on THIS one is BRASS and THREADS on to the connector base... MUCH BETTER!
              And yet a third style that is like the second but it does not say "Mogami" and the label or badge is PRINTED on the body tube not embosed or engraved like the first two.  ::)

2.)  I just finished a Gyraf G9, my first lage project and it KICKS ASS !!!  - Thanks Jacob -  anyway, I had these PCB mount screw connectors hanging around, and had an Idea.... the perf board I had was the right spacing and the connector fit, and it also fit inside the body tube, I just hot glued it to the perf board ..making a socket for the tube, I used a 5703wb tube and copied the C60, but with the pin combining of the 5840 in this and Royers circuit it makes for a nice tiddy Mod without having to fly the leads over, under and around, you just run the wire from the connector to the terminal pins.  - sweet right?    ;)

Here is a link to show the differences, I left the one w/ the printed label out because other than that, its  no different than the brass threaded one   

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiophreeek/603Mogami?feat=directlink

I'm incredibly new at all this (I've never modded a thing in my life and I'm terrified) and wondered if anybody could help me out over PM, modding a pair of MXL 604's with this mod? From the very beginning, I mean. Get solder and an iron and finding the right caps etc.

I'd appreciate it. I hope this isn't spammish?

- Stephen

Svart said:
IMO, Marik's capsule modification makes a far more noticeable difference than the capacitor swap.

What mod is this?

I'm having trouble finding it because I have no idea what to search for..

Marik is a forum member here. If you search "Mod 603", I think his original mod thread pops up - its a great modification.
So is Audiphreaks 5840 tube mod - tho I did David Royers full 5840 circuit. I don't know if he used a C60 for inspiration or not...

One last interesting thing that has popped up for the 603 modsters out there:
Joly "47" LDC capsules

Oh I know who Marik is.

I've been searching through mod threads looking for his "capsule" mod and all I can find is reference to it but no links or threads detailing it.

There is plenty of info on the 603 mods themselves but not a capsule mod.

Are we talking about the practice of making the front of the capsule more flush with the diaphragm? Trimming off the rim in effect, to reduce reflections.
I saw that mentioned on a thread in regard to these mics, perhaps in another forum...

there is some grill modification but he revoices the entire diaphragm in the capsule.
What is exceptional is that he revoices the capsule to the curves of your favorite sdc.
I think I asked for a KM54ish response. Granted, I dont have an original to compare,
the sessions I've put these on have been a joy.

I think it had to do with making a new plastic back-plate or resonant chamber thingy... there were some VERY detailed pics, to bad it's MIA...

it wouldn't be the same stuff that Joly is selling on his website would it?

I cut the extra material off of the front of one of the capsules last night.  I couldn't hear a whole lot of difference honestly.

The strange thing is that I'm finding the sound to be "strained" sounding.  Like when I hit the cymbals, the sound is somewhat choked at it's loudest.  This doesn't happen with my mk-012s or other mics.  Any thoughts?

Remember this is just a simple cap change with the circuit(title of the thread) not much of a mod.  It is maybe the easiest change.  IMO the capsule to gate is where the most change might be heard.  Read the C.B. PDFs about cap distortion.
The stock circuit could be adjusted some.
Look at the circuit and the S circuit and another forum for ideas.  At another forum people have posted some interesting things about the S circuit.

Svat is the 603 circuit clipping?  Look at the stock circuit operating points and headroom and the Mk012 circuit operating points and headroom and the other microphones.

Also try the microphone stock.

Latest posts

Back