Hammond 842 Transformers. What uses?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allbaldo

I'm a fascinated, but pretty inexperienced DIY guy. Over the years, I've amassed some odds and ends I'd like to use one day. Somewhere along the line, I ended up with eight Hammond 842 transformers, and I'd like to know what might be done with them. Here's a bit of info on them..

Application: P.P. Plates to Line
Primary: 5k/20k (6k/24k)
Secondary 125/500 (150/600)

From what little I can find out online, these specs are often used in tube designs. I got them out of a McCurdy broadcast console from the 80's, and most definitely not a tube design.

Can anyone tell me what uses these might have?

Thanks!

tube preamp outputs at line levels

ie, various stepdown ratios, moderate max  signal  (+20 dbm) for line amp stages  with min loads of  600ohms or so
(for lowest distortion)

That means they can probably drive s couple of modern rack units line inputs (10K  nominal input Z) at the same time (parallel).

0mA unbalanced DC means they are best used  in  plate-to-line tube output stages that are cap-coupled. (a big  one)

The frequency response tails off a bit at the bottom end and at the top end, compared to the 850 series.
Distortion will increase with how hard you drive.

Not too bad for most hifi use and could be very nice in some creative applications.

I prefer the 80 series myself, but they are more expensive. And bigger/heavier :)

Something reassuring about  heavy Canadian Hammonds !

Many thanks for the info Alexc! Maybe I'll move these along to fund other projects.

alexc said:
tube preamp outputs at line levels

ie, various stepdown ratios, moderate max  signal  (+20 dbm) for line amp stages  with min loads of  600ohms or so
(for lowest distortion)

That means they can probably drive s couple of modern rack units line inputs (10K  nominal input Z) at the same time (parallel).

0mA unbalanced DC means they are best used  in  plate-to-line tube output stages that are cap-coupled. (a big  one)

The frequency response tails off a bit at the bottom end and at the top end, compared to the 850 series.
Distortion will increase with how hard you drive.

Not too bad for most hifi use and could be very nice in some creative applications.

I prefer the 80 series myself, but they are more expensive. And bigger/heavier :)

Something reassuring about  heavy Canadian Hammonds !

Latest posts

Back