Hard drive repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecedarian

Hi y'all,

Happy new year btw.  I need a hand. I have a back up external hard drive which I dropped yesterday.  I hear a click sound repetitive but the drive doesn't spin. Is this something that can be sent away and
Fixed?  I don't think the drive is under warranty.

Probably not fixed but there are companies that will rescue the data from the disks if they aren't physically damaged on the media surface(from the armatures digging into it).

if the drive motor is not broken, then the read head might be stuck because of the fall.  If you want, and if you dont have the money to send the drive to a drive recovery service, then try this: 
Put the drive in an airtight ziplock bag(squeeze air out), then place it in the freezer for a couple hours.  Remove it and plug it in your computer.  See if head gets unstuck and stops clicking.  It worked for me before, but try to send it to a drive recovery service if money isnt a problem.  My drive was never fixed, but I was able to get the data off it.  I kept on having to refreeze it to get the head unstuck.  This should be your LAST OPTION, but if you do it, let me know how it goes.   

the metal will contract when its at a lower temperature, sometimes freeing the head(armature) if its stuck.  It should always be the last of options, but if he broke something when he dropped it, then there is no hope other than sending it to a drive recovery service.  The clicking can mean the head is stuck, but there isnt a sure way to know.  I've experienced this "clicking" and the freezing method worked.  Just watch out for too much moisture buildup if you are in a humid environment, which is the reason for the air tight bag. Check the link below:
h**p://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

If this data is important to you I strongly advise NOT freezing your drive.  There are WAY too many things that can go wrong and you risk damage to the platters.  Also this only works if certain conditions are true.  The minute you hear clicking, UNPLUG THE DRIVE.  There is the possibility that with each click you are damaging the platters. If the info is crucial, call Jeff Sassinsky:

http://www.sassinsky.com/

He ain't cheap, but he specializes in specific types of data recovery including pro tools files.

I once tried to take the disk out of one HD and put it in another HD to read...didn't work so well...

Mushy is right.  As I'll say again, freezing should only be a last option.  If the data is extremely important and you have the money, then go for the data recovery service

Mbira said:
I once tried to take the disk out of one HD and put it in another HD to read...didn't work so well...

Heheh... That's essentially what Jeff does.  However he has a clean room facility and access to proper replacement parts.  I guess that's important...  ;)

Ok great help thanks guys!  What should I look for in a recovery service?
What is a normal price range for this type of work and any other recommendations?
I'm in the S. E. United states.

Actually it really depends. Are you looking to "save" the physical hard drive ? If so i woulnd't bother since those harddisks nowadays are very cheap and you surely will get a bigger and faster harddrive for not so much money.
Recovery service is only if the files on the disk are very important/worth much money.
Since you said it's a backup drive i guess you have the same data on your primary used disk so i wouldn't bother with a recovery service.

Flo

Latest posts

Back