Harrison 3232 console restoration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should you still happen to need and/or want to have some "New/Old" PCB's for your HARRISON console, I can help you out with getting new PCB's designed and fabricated for your project. I have re-created the original ALLISON Research "Gain-Brain" comp-limiter PCB and it is mounted in a 1U rack-chassis that is sitting right here next to me. Then, some guy down in Florida had bought an original 1974 API mixing console that he was restoring and he sent me one each of the different PCB's in his console so I could "Reverse-Engineer" them to accurately design "New/Old" PCB's for his console. Just like what you need to have done.

In addition, a large aerospace firm in New Jersey had sent me their last unpopulated "1979 bare-board" used in a fighter jet so I could also "Reverse-Engineer" that PCB and create a new layout of it using modern CAD-design software. And, then finally.....a member of this forum who sells "API 2520 Clones" had e-mailed me his 2520 GERBER data files so I could correct a series of errors in them concerning the silkscreen, soldermask and TOPSIDE copper layer files. After I had e-mailed this guy's updated GERBER files back to him, he had a run of 100 PCB's fabricated and he wrote back to me relating how much better his new PCB's looked and worked compared to his old PCB's. He was also kind enough to mail me 6 of his new 2520 PCB's as souvenirs for my collection.

So.....YEAH.....I can design you some new PCB's. But, there is -- ONE -- catch!!! I physically require to have your original PCB's in my own hands so I am able to extract all of what I need in order to provide you with an identical duplicate of your original PCB!!!

Let me know what you would like to do, OK??? I'm only here to help out!!! THAT'S ALL!!!

/
Impressive credentials there. If there isn't covid I would probably visit you in your shop with boards in hand during one of my annual work trips to the US, at the mean time, that might not be a possibility.
I made a few working duplicates of the orginial 3232C PCB set. It works when I mount the old parts on it. But most of these pots are old. the connectors between boards are failing and I may as well make footprints for currently available parts for it. So I have been drawing a bit here and there whenever I have a little time. Also making it SMD compatible as well as thru hole. So... still on that route, sir.

If they are like originals I certainly want (6). Maybe 8 if I goof up.
Thanks I'll PM

Attachments

• channel-strip-vca-board1.jpg
    channel-strip-vca-board1.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 88
Impressive credentials there. If there isn't covid I would probably visit you in your shop with boards in hand during one of my annual work trips to the US, at the mean time, that might not be a possibility.
I made a few working duplicates of the orginial 3232C PCB set. It works when I mount the old parts on it. But most of these pots are old. the connectors between boards are failing and I may as well make footprints for currently available parts for it. So I have been drawing a bit here and there whenever I have a little time. Also making it SMD compatible as well as thru hole. So... still on that route, sir.
"THANKS!!!" for the compliment!!! I sincerely appreciate that very much!!! I do what I can, whenever I can!!!

If you are able to possibly -- share -- one of your duplicates along with whatever other documentation that you may have, I could then go ahead and go through the "Reverse-Engineering" process and create a new set of schematic and PCB data files for whomever may need/want this information sometime in the future. I will certainly, of course, return all of your material back to you for your safekeeping. But, I need "the real deal" in my hands to "Reverse-Engineer" an old PCB into a new PCB. Sound like a plan???

Similar to what you said about making your PCB "SMD-compatible", when the aerospace company contacted me about "Reverse-Engineering" their old 1979 circuit board, a part of what they had also wanted to be done was to have me -- convert -- all of the Thru-Hole components to "Surface-Mount" types. What this ended up doing as far as this particular project was concerned, was that it allowed me to completely route the new PCB design with -- NO VIA's!!! So, since this PCB was being used in fighter jets, having a PCB with -- NO VIA's -- meant that the reliability of that PCB "went through the roof"!!! Their engineering team was ecstatic upon learning that I was able to "Reverse-Engineer" that PCB and re-design it with no via's!!! Just another days work, ya know?

/

.... that must be Dave Harrison's prototype of 3232 channel under test. Look at all the test equipment including an outboard
status control and power supply. Incredible pic that I've never seen. ...
I serviced the 4032 A type console, and that's the picture I made. If you are interested, you can find more about it here
https://groupdiy.com/threads/harrison-4032-console-resurrecting-the-legend.40139/ and on my site here:
http://www.moxtone.com/Harrison 4032.htm
The following figure shows my work setup during service.🛠️

1639680180118.jpeg

Nice work station moamps! You must have a very early A version. I've never seen vca mounted like that.
The 1975 date on mic transformer testifies to that. A series had 5 master modules due to Harrison putting Studio on one and CR on the other.
According to Jeff West former Harrison employee the A has best highs, Jim Williams said the hi's were like ants crawling up his arms which is a rave from guy who serviced Zappa's Harrison. Frank Rollen nrg helped me immensely also. Beautiful industrious guy that he is. I have a 3232 B/C here in New Jersey and almost bought a 4032 but no way could it be taken from the guy's basement short of knocking a hole in building he didn't own. Yes you were right about the green marked opamps. They had barrels of them and good ones got greened. Never saw the yellow so they must be special in some way that works with eq? Always loved Harrison's. Back in 85 I worked in NYC and Andy Wallace was our engineer on Harrison. Next session they got an SSL which was talk of town.

Attachments

• Long view Harrison.jpg
    Long view Harrison.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 85
In the first version of the console, the subboard with VCA also contained a quadruple opamp and some other parts.

View attachment 87316

Later versions only had VCA (black can dbx VCA202) on the subboard.

View attachment 87317

The following figure shows the design of the replacement circuit board that uses the THAT VCA. I got that design a long time ago from a member who was restoring his console, I hope he won’t mind me posting it.

View attachment 87318

Edit:
Let me just add that the black version 202 (-6mV / dB) and the gold or silver version 202C and 2001 (-50mV / dB) do not have the same gain control constants.
Hello! I’m new here on this forum. Although i have reading here for years😅 I’m restoring an old Harrison 32/32. Mine has lots of mods done to it… practically butchered.. anyway. All the vca boards is gone, so no solo or anything. the audio runs though the faders now. But I want to put the vcas back. So I looked at THAT vca and started to wright a new pcb, And then I saw this beautiful thing😄 do anyone have the cad file for this? All the best// Willy from Sweden

Removing the vca's was a brief fad that took a few Harrison consoles into new territory.
The vca faders were labeled as the clog in the audio path so they were replaced with Audio faders in search of a strait wire signal.
How does your console sound and do you have a vca console to compare it to?

it sounds fine, I don’t have a vca to compare to. the FET switch card is also removed and replaced with a couple of 5v relays. Works good, but looks awful..

Sounds fine looks bad tells me to use it as is. Rebuilding the FET board x32 is costly and daunting. 32x vca $$. P&G vca faders x32 hard to find. Someone invested the time to do the conversion and once done I'd say it's done. Take stock of what you have and learn to work it.
Meanwhile look around for 3232 with vca unmodified. (I may be that guy lol).
Are the master vca's removed on your console? What about the status voltages are they still present on group master module? Bringing
back to stock for aesthetics and solo function seems unrewarding.
Please post some pics so we can see what were talking about here.

Last edited:
...So I looked at THAT vca and started to wright a new pcb, And then I saw this beautiful thing😄 do anyone have the cad file for this?...
I think that PCB was designed by Frank Röllen, so try contacting him at Frontplatten Frontpanels 19" Gehäuse.
Btw, I completely agree with member mappee that returning the mixer to its original functionality is a very complicated and expensive project, which is probably not worth it.

I hear you. I’m thinking about just adding a 5v relay to do solo function.. and maybe use the thumbwheel as group soloing. I’m not sure yet. I don’t feel like I need group vca, I thought about restore the vca circuit just to make the solo/mute work again. The switch card I will not make new. Maybe a pcb to mount the 5v relays little nicer and more reliable. See the picture, the way he mounted it there is a big risk of failure.

Attachments

• 28578AE2-DF12-49DD-8C4B-9047DCF198C7.jpeg
    28578AE2-DF12-49DD-8C4B-9047DCF198C7.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 66
Not the best work but... Stand offs an some nylon ties could stabilize things and cleanup of taped connections.
Yep looks like a mess but if working no complaints.
The solo/mute even on original Harrison's is lacking in functionality and has been discussed by a few.

Looks like c version. What's with the stacked monitor pot? I see they gutted all the op amps except the necessary for audio.
Wow butchered the mic pre?

Yes I have to think this though😅 the mic pre is actually a good mod. Lundahls on all 32 channels. The mon pot is split so the fist 24 busses is on the bottom pot and 25-32 is the top one. I think he had a 8 track tape recorder he used simultaneously. There is also 2 more sends. The back/front pot is a send and he drilled another one beside it.

My 1st thought is confirmed (no way to make stock without suffering extreme hardship)! Lundahl yep nice addition. 8 sends pretty cool.
Monitor mod ehhh okay maybe... What was done to Master modules?
Overall condition? Pic of whole board. Patchbay intact? If graphics are rubbed out then def a C as somehow the
paint didn't take as well on that version, at this point with mods let's call it a "D" for lack of a name.
Thinking with a soldering iron can be a dangerous thing, (joking), Congrats and welcome to Harrison world!

I have began to remove the mon pot mod actually. Have no use for it. Easy to fix. The extra sends I don’t mind, works good! I think it’s a revision B. The c have the mic pre on a separate pcb right? Graphics is still intact.
the master modules is original with Allison vcas. The echo returns were modded with stereo on all 8. So 16 total. Coaxial pot there to for L/R. But I have removed all that.. unbelievable mess. And impossible to troubleshoot, (nothing worked) so it is all original now. And works perfectly now😅👌 see pic.
Patch is original.

Attachments

• 9331C903-CC8C-40AE-9974-1CF42C3098FB.jpeg
    9331C903-CC8C-40AE-9974-1CF42C3098FB.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 53
  • D33A5D8A-464F-40DC-9667-B8E1C1D464A3.jpeg
    D33A5D8A-464F-40DC-9667-B8E1C1D464A3.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 50
Allison vca was only on C. Mic pre C was seperate board but you could order Jensen 115 transformer as option.
You have 36 segment meters PPM? Meters were 12 segment VU on A/B. I believe the 36 meter became
option on B and standard on C.
All in all you have a pretty cool console that's been customized to the hilt. Clean up previous owners work and make music.
As function is key, you can live with the look. Many records still being made with these 40+ year consoles so fly the
flag proudly. Enjoy

PS. one mod worth pursuing is the EQ Hi Freq shelf. Having this option on a few channels is helpful for certain instrument/vox.

Latest posts

Back