Has anyone dealt with Grayhill?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpie

I emailed them but they didn't bother answering back so I'm gonna have to chase it up.

But in the meantime, do you know what's the minimum order they can accept in order to sell directly?
I'm interested in their series 71 switches.

Thanks
w.

Grayhill 71 series are available from a number of distributors like mouser and digi-key. Unless you want serious quantities on a regular basis I suspect they will not deal direct. If you want something not available from regular distributors, like I did for the Helios 69 EQ, then you probably need to deal with their franchised distributors who can place orders direct with the factory. Be aware that Grayhill's lead time for specials is over 6 weeks.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. I've bought many times in the past from their distributors but I'm currently looking for the 2-deck shorting type.
Future electronics is probably an option but as you said lead time is 6-8 weeks and I was hoping to get some tens of these directly from Grayhill (also hoping for less than 6-8 weeks lead time).

Do you feel lucky?

Direct orders are generally large enough quantity to justify setting up the production line to run the same part for a while. Probably a 100 lifetimes or more for your personal needs.

Your best play is through distribution in my judgement.

While who knows, you might get lucky.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Do you feel lucky?
JR
No but I feel bold  ;D

Since it's not a very exotic product from their line, I was hoping they already have some stock that they are willing to give away to individuals.

I'm not sure how exactly it works. For example, if I order a couple of these, from their distributors, they will be able to provide me with the items in 6 weeks. Does this mean that Grayhill will set up the production line for the 2-3 switches I ordered? Don't think so.
That makes me think that they have some stock (?)

warpie said:
JohnRoberts said:
Do you feel lucky?
JR
No but I feel bold  ;D

Since it's not a very exotic product from their line, I was hoping they already have some stock that they are willing to give away to individuals.

I'm not sure how exactly it works. For example, if I order a couple of these, from their distributors, they will be able to provide me with the items in 6 weeks. Does this mean that Grayhill will set up the production line for the 2-3 switches I ordered? Don't think so.
The deal to become a distributor is that they place minimum quantity orders, so they may have to buy a thousand to sell you two. Some distributors will require minimum quantities to reduce their inventory pain.

JR

warpie said:

That's a big assumption.

As far as I've understood companies set up a network of distributors to outsource the whole idea of stock. Business models differ, perhaps some companies do keep an internal stock, JR has a whole career of information on this. But for example Edcor lets you order direct while they keep you on the waiting list as long as they finally land on that factory batch to fulfill your order (not necessarily the timeframe you'd prefer). Lundahl on the other hand gets a little agravated on suggestions of direct orders and "bypassing their network of distributors". I found out the hard way.

Good luck, maybe Grayhill is ok to deal with a single person directly.

warpie said:
JohnRoberts said:
Do you feel lucky?
JR
No but I feel bold  ;D

I strongly suspect they have a very flexible production line. If you look at the huge range of variants they can produce, just of the 71 series, I think it makes more sense for them to do it this way than to make large quantities for speculative stock. There are clearly some standard items used a lot but many more occasional variants. When you also consider that the 71 series variants are little more than variations on number of decks, shorting/non-shorting, poles per deck, PCB or solder lugs and shaft sizes it becomes just a simple assembly set up. The six weeks is more a scheduling delay than a set up time.

Then again, I may be completely wrong.

Cheers

Ian

I know that when you order Electroswitch products through Allied that Allied waits for a minimum quantity and then puts their order in. This happend a number of times to me  for a standard but non stocked product.

If lead time is the most important thing I'd contact a bunch of distributors and ask.

I think I'll email them again and if they don't get back to me (which is very likely) I will call them.
I'm looking for more than a few so hopefully they'll help me or redirect me to the right distributor.

Back