He-69 build/support thread. PCB's/kits-available!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting conversations regarding oils/inductors. I have wound quite a few for clients to correct values as found on Olympic, Strawberry and many other issues that have passed through my workshop. All response curves are recorded. My Lustraphone transformer cop/development mimics the original faithfully. Having 2 originals was essential to that end particularly to encourage the matching of the lamination characteristics by the manufacturer. so far approx 70 sold.

Unfortunately tomorrow I travel to the west of England to be with family as one member is very seriously ill and has entered a Hospice.

So be patient for further technical information. I will not be able to enter into discussions .

Cyril Jones

In attach are two pics of the orientation of the inductors;

I did some trace changes to the big inductor for the lows, see details in post below.
Now I discovered that @Rogy already found this workaround! Great! Good to be shure this is the right way to do it

Unfortunately tomorrow I travel to the west of England to be with family as one member is very seriously ill and has entered a Hospice.
Sorry to hear that your family member is ill Cyril. Sending all best wishes to you and the family.

On the inductor chat, to confirm that the 10H tap will get you where you want to be for the low frequency boost. I don't know how this version of the 0011 eq does things, but if I recall correctly then many originals just used a single 10H inductor for all the frequencies on the low boost band, simply switching the caps in the LC section. That has the effect of changing the Q with each step, so that the higher frequency values have a narrower bandwidth. Using a multi-tap inductor like this Carnhill gives you the opportunity to use lower inductance taps for higher frequencies (just like in the mid band), potentially keeping the Q more consistent across the low boost band.

Caveat 1: I've not done the maths on whether the taps on this specific inductor are spaced in such a way to make this work well with the Helios low boost frequency points. You'd need to use different capacitor values too.

Caveat 2: It would make the low boost band behave in a less "authentic" way, so I mention it more as an option for anyone who wants a different behaviour from their low boost band. In my own Helios clones, I used the 10H tap all the way as I rather like the sound!

As far as I know, Frank sales the inductors for this project that needs no modifications. Regarding the 9048 inductor see post #158 where I flipped the inductor and jumped to appropriate pads. Like I said before verify the desired frequencies with calculator before buying caps to better match the specific inductors used.

As far as I know, Frank sales the inductors for this project that needs no modifications. Regarding the 9048 inductor see post #158 where I flipped the inductor and jumped to appropriate pads. Like I said before verify the desired frequencies with calculator before buying caps to better match the specific inductors used.
Hi @Bobby Baird Frank seems to went out of stock with the inductors, but Aaron from Don Audio could wind me some. @TwentyTrees I will check frequencys after the build up and add or change Caps when needed…

@Cyril Jones even if we do not know each other personally also from me sympathy for you and your family.

Last edited:
Just another HE69… just finished one of the two builds… everything seems to work but I will need more time to check if frequencies are fine…

Attachments

• IMG_8357.jpeg
    IMG_8357.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8355.jpeg
    IMG_8355.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I made a few improvements that i wantend to share. I replaced R17 with a trimpot 200 Ohm so it is easier to calibrate the voltage of the Relais. And I build in Sockets for the Relays so you just can swap them if they do not Work. Not a big deal but made it easier, since for me the Formula to calculate R17 did not work.

Attachments

• IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    652 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8366.jpeg
    IMG_8366.jpeg
    663.3 KB · Views: 2
Back