Heat shrink/sleeving for power supply wire?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramshackles

Hi
I'm looking at heat shrink/sleeving and wondering which is best for hookup wire carrying power supply:

1. Power from mains inlet to power transformer (so short length of wire, 240V)
2. Power from output of power supply to audio equipment (potentially long if external power supply)

I can put a value on the internal diameter needed by the size of my hookup wire, but I still have a plethora of choices regarding material thickness, heat shrink or sleeving etc..

Are there any standards for these things?

I tend to use 3M brand heat-shrink because Mouser is somewhat nearby.  Mouser usually stocks what I need.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogusd/646/1318.pdf

Looks like the stuff is rated for 600 Volts.

OTOH, if building a gizmo for commercial sales worldwide, I dunno if those 3M products will meet the standards.

In the USA, a "gizmo" usually has  to be tested at an "approved lab", and they will literally abuse the test item until it is melted down before they will issue a "UL Accepted" sticker.

No UL sticker required for DIY, but if your Gizmo blows up and burns down the house...it may get sticky dealing with the Homeowner's insurance company.

I always worry....

Bri

ramshackles said:
Hi
I'm looking at heat shrink/sleeving and wondering which is best for hookup wire carrying power supply:

1. Power from mains inlet to power transformer (so short length of wire, 240V)
2. Power from output of power supply to audio equipment (potentially long if external power supply)

We (day job) use a sleeve material rated for and approved by TÜV for this application (mains connector/fuse to circuit board). I'll ask the tech what we buy. It's not a heat shrink material, it's a sort of heavy but flexible (accordion-ish) rubber-like material, white on the outside.

-a

Latest posts

Back