Helios thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first record was recorded after a short tour the band did to settle old yardbirds obligations that jimmy page was still contracted for. Also served as a good source of revenue. The band was indeed together for a short time, but they had slightly more than 24 hours rehearsel. Legend has it that the whole thing was done in 36 hours, which I can believe. What most people discount or dont realize about Led Zeppelin 1 is that it was a completely independant record. Jimmy Page financed the record (or most likely Jimmy Page and Peter Grant) and finished it entirely on their own at which point they went out to solicit a record deal. Atlantic didnt scoop them up and throw them in a studio, the first recording atlantic was involved with, unless I have my history totally wrong (which is possible, I wasnt there) was the second record which was recorded at a myriad of studios in NY, LA and London while the band was on tour. Led Zeppelin did indeed sound great no matter what they did, LZ2 is a great example of that, tracked by different engineers through different consoles in a few different studios. What I would really like to know, the stuff recorded in London was almost certainly CCIR (whole lotta love, what is, thank you, living loving maid) while the US stuff (lemon, heartbreaker, ramble, moby dick, bring it on home) was probably NAB. Im too young to know but my guess is that it probably wasnt too common for US studios to have CCIR eq's on their decks, but its just a guess. The only commonality outside of the band was the fact that it was all mixed in the same studio in NY by eddie kramer (blech). Thats quite a lot of variables for one record, which when you listen to it sounds a little disjointed but most of the people that listen to it would never notice. argh, rambling.

dave

Makes you wonder how a band like the eagles can take years to put out a piece of crap like the long run, and these guys just get in and get out. I guess talent has something to do with it.

haha, did it take them 10 years to make that album?

Presence was I think a 10 day or 2 week record, they got bumped out of the studio by the stones who had a prior booking. Thats a lot of record (mixed) for two weeks of work! I bet JPJ is still bummed by his flubs on that record, theres a bad one in achilles.

dave

I think he liked to leave the mistakes in,thats what i read in a Guitar Player interview at least. Like on Physical Grafetti when that plane was flying overhead and he told the engineer to "leave it".

Bump.....
State of the Union...

Strangeandbouncy come on down....
Buttachunk - whats happening?

Guys,

I am so very sorry not to have posted any schemo's etc, but I have to give the lame-assed excuse that I am too darn busy right now - flooded flat/builders/other leaseholders/LVT-(Leasehold Valuation Tribunal)/V.V.V. busy at work. . . . . plus I don't have a scanner . . . .

. . . . Please watch this space . . . .

Andy P

Piccies at Larkings list for the internals of a rack mounted Helios
http://www.larking.com/Small%20Pics/Helios%20eq%20pcb's.jpg
http://www.larking.com/Small%20Pics/Helios%202X2%20eq.jpg

2 x 2 channel 4 band sweep EQ units available. Low bass 40Hz - 700 Hz Low Mid 500 Hz - 5 kHz High Mid 700 Hz 0 7 kHz Top end 7 kHz - 17 kHz All + or - 14db. Virtually discrete - one op amp in each band apart from that it is Transistors all the way.

hello! I've been following this post for a while now, and wanted to know if anyone has found out the values of the inductors in the '69? All i found was:
L1 value tap 1) common; 2) 19.7 mH; 3) 37mH ; 4) 345mH. ????
And a 12H for L2 ?

Has anyone confirmed this? Many thanks in advance

Cheers!

BUMP!

If we are going to make some pcb for this we need to sort the inductor details!! :green:

Fabio

[quote author="FMS56"]hello! I've been following this post for a while now, and wanted to know if anyone has found out the values of the inductors in the '69? All i found was:
L1 value tap 1) common; 2) 19.7 mH; 3) 37mH ; 4) 345mH. ????
And a 12H for L2 ?

Has anyone confirmed this? Many thanks in advance

Cheers![/quote]
yes, I do confirm the value for L1, I've wrote on paper this volue wen I've got a pair.
can't confirm L2 Value, gere of mine wasn't able to mesure it.
M.

Dear All,
Every one seems to think that the Inductors are made by Sowter, I am afraid that is not the case, they are hand made by ourselves to a special specification.

Good Luck"
Tony

Tony Arnold (Director)
www.helios-electronics.com.

Hi Arny
Good to see you here.
I hope you will pop by more often, now that you have found this place.
Lots of great information in one place.
Do you still got that D30 mic I got you (clue)

Welcome Tony
More info from Cyril Jones

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14184&highlight=cyril+jones

Back