Hello from Chicago

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kefguy

Greetings everyone from Evanston, IL just a few blocks north of Chicago here. I was big into electronics through high school and college but shifted to software after that so have lost my electronics chops. My first job out of college was working at a hifi shop for a year and half (around 1990) and boy did I get the bug. I took a lot of gear in trade that I still have, lol.

Looking to get back into DiY now and was happy to find this site. Long time hifi buff with lots of vintage gear that I'm hoping to tinker with. I haven't done much with electronics work in a very long time but wanting to get back into it now. I just did a recap of my HK T65c turntable and got it back up and running. Pretty simple and good results so got the itch to do more. Next up I'd like to try the Nelson Pass upgrade to my Citation 12 amp which is how I stumbled on this site.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced oscilloscope, new or used, that would be good for this kind of work? I haven't used one in close to 40 years so I'm just starting to re-learn things.

Also think I'll want to get a variac, ideally would like to build one...

Anyway, glad to be here. :) Thanks for having me!

I think Shure Brothers is still based in Evanston, so a big audio company in your city!

Ask ten of us about oscilloscopes and you'll get 20 opinions...lol. I bought a new Tek 2215 around 40 years ago and it still works. I also have a newish Rigol digital scope which has some nifty features and a much smaller size but also has downsides (8 bit resolution and a visibly slow update speed).

Welcome!

Bri

Back