Hello from Chicago

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velo

GDIY Supporter
I am a drummer with an RME rig and slowly adding better analog gear via microphone-parts.com and looking for ideas on D.I.Y. 500 series and/or other things. Mostly I am an extreme hobbyist drummer (with chops) interested in high-quality recording out of my home studio and eventually doing some creative projects with other musicians and playing a role in the mixing/mastering.

I am very curious right now about the possibility of +/-24V rails and higher headroom but it looks like the world has gone mostly +/-16 500-series. Either way, I hope to tackle my first preamp DIY module very soon. I'd be doing it right now if it weren't for there being so many options and an open question about the possibility of +/-24V.

I recently started attempting to do the whole DAW plug-in thing as time permits and have not settled on anything yet other than my RME UFX+, Octamic XTC, and a lone Black Lion Auteur preamp. you can hear some of my sound checks here as I attempt to learn this art.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-newhuis-170450560
Cheers!

A belated welcome to GroupDIY!

For your thoughts on headroom and other theoretical benefits gained by higher voltages, please contemplate that everything comes from - and ends in - 3.3V-based A/D and D/A conversion systems, just sayin'..

/Jakob E.

A belated welcome to GroupDIY!

For your thoughts on headroom and other theoretical benefits gained by higher voltages, please contemplate that everything comes from - and ends in - 3.3V-based A/D and D/A conversion systems, just sayin'..

/Jakob E.
Yes, good point. Perhaps the greater concern should be power supply isolation per module, maintaining clean steady current, etc., long before contemplating an additional +3dB gain.

Latest posts

Back