Hello from Germany – emt256, 436c, rs124, rs660

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfred

Hello everyone!

I am joining the forum from Germany. As a musician, my interest in electronics is led by the needs I encounter within my own recording and mixing setup.

So far, my diy experience has been limited to the planing of devices and the mechanical side of solutions - working together with professionals in the realisation of the electronic part. So, my own knowledge of electronis is very limited. But over the years I find myself more and more often with an soldering iron.

My first project was a dual function unit, making use of two Telefunken V672 amps, that can be switched between working as mic pres or stereo summing amps. For the summing net, I used PCBs from Ruffrecords. Thanks Ian!
Second project was a passive monitor control unit, using Elma switches and a Neumann Danner Module for switching phase, left, right, mono, mute, pad etc.
For my third project I again used vintage Neumann components for switching all daw outputs in stereo pairs either to a master sum via a Neumann V475 or a fx group, summing there by those two V672 amps.
Followed by a ms matrix and master fx switch, based on pcbs by Ka Electronics.

Over the years, I have repeatedly read conversations on the groupDIY forums, that popped up researching my various questions. And it has often meant enlightenment for me. Also, some conversations are quite entertaining!

My current research on compressors was initiated by a emt 256II module laying around here. I am trying to understand it. Why has ist got screwdriver trim pots for input and output? If racking this module, would it make sense to turn these trim pots into real knobs? Can it be modded otherwise? Is the use of a quadrant multiplier as its centre component owing/inspired/deviated from the use of tubes/valves in compressor circuits? (these questions got me started) and now I am (also) interested in the time constant switch on the new rs660, in the general evolution of devices starting from altec’s 436. Reading the thread on the rs124 was like a thriller, resulting in me also wanting to know and see...

So long!
Alfred

Latest posts

Back